Author Topic: A few requests/recommendations for Windows Repair (All in One)  (Read 3451 times)

Offline dasNerd

• View Profile
1) Expanding Repair MSI (Windows Installer) and Important Windows Services

I've seen cases where Windows Installer (msiserver) is not listed in services.msc

As a quick fix, I was able to download msiserver.reg from http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/win-services to correct the issue

Additionally, the Important Windows Services could be expanded to include additional services like msiserver - perhaps using a series of 'if' statements to check for the presence of core services in the registry @ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services ?

2) I've seen cases where AutoPlay does not function properly, even though the settings are correct in the Control panel.  I've worked on a .bat and .reg to correct this:

autorun.bat:
Code: [Select]
sc config ShellHWDetection start= auto
net start ShellHWDetection
regedit /s autorun.reg

autorun.reg:
Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\cdrom]
"AutoRun"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\cdrom]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\cdrom]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000091
"NoDriveAutoRun"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000091
"NoDriveAutoRun"=-

The ControlSet001 and ControlSet002 may be overkill, I've seem some fixes specifying these locations, as well as CurrentControlSet while some just focus on CurrentControlSet.

3) I've been using a version of wget that I compiled myself from the source code (for win32 of course) to download additional/optional tools without needing to download via a browser.  This could improve AIO in a few areas such as the automatic download of optional tools, in addition to automatically downloading new updates when they become available.  If interested, I'd be happy to provide you with the executable and examples on use (as well as a virustotal link for the security-minded  :cheesy:)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 06:06:31 PM by dasNerd »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: A few requests/recommendations for Windows Repair (All in One)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 05:20:50 PM »
1. I will add the msi service :-)

2. Does that work for all versions of Windows?

3. I have my own code for downloading updates, but given then number of changes that can happen I find it safer to have users get the new setup :-)

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline dasNerd

• View Profile
Re: A few requests/recommendations for Windows Repair (All in One)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 07:37:29 PM »
1. Thanks, I know its not as common as some of the services targeted by malware, but I've seen it several times in the past.

2. It works for XP/Vista/7 - from what I've seen online it works for 8 as well, but I haven't tested it or had to use it for 8 yet myself.  Normally I'd feel mortified posting a wikipedia link, but in this case,  the information isn't consolidated on a single MS website - you can see that the references are valid and can check them out yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoRun

3. Understood, I figured it'd be worth a mention.  If you were curious or haven't used it, you may want to check out: http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/manual/wget.html  Personally I use it to to download a variety of portable tools to form my own toolkit, as well as to update existing versions of portable apps.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 07:52:47 PM by dasNerd »

anything