Author Topic: Reset all Windows services to default  (Read 57351 times)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Re: Reset all Windows services to default
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 11:06:53 AM »
1. your reply reminded me of something I found puzzling. Several times I would go to the Microsoft update website and then it recommended to install an update for the network software. I let the website install the software and the next time/from time to time the website would recommened to install the same software again. Same ""plug and play"" service ?
2. I can't recall. It was along the lines of ""Allied data ......."" and I thought (I am not sure) it was concerning the Network (Ethernet connection to the ADSL modem). Or was it related to the ADSL modem itself ? Although I haven't seen any change in behaviour of the Ethernet connection. Perhaps I need to do some extra research. So, please don't reply before I have tried to replicate this weird thing.

3. Now we're talking services: I have a problem with ""Automatic updates"" (AU) in combination with the Task scheduler. Task scheduler says that it can't (be) start(ed). I am wondering why because AU is set to Automatic. And when I set AU to Manual then visiting the Microsoft update website causes an error. ""Automatic Updates needs to set to Automatic"". Weird,  I thought that Manual meant that only when required by Task Scheduler or the user (like visiting the update website) the service should become active.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 11:31:53 AM »
Did some tinkering (Plug & play service) and windows reported that the system had become instable. Thanks to WR I was able to reset the services to their safe settings. So, - most definitely - WR is/has become a useful tool to put Windows back to a safe/stable footing. Thumbs up for WR !!!

But I wasn't able to replicate the system message. Perhaps it will show up at some later stage. We'll have to wait and see. And I am NOT going to do more research. Much too dangerous. Lesson learned.

The MSDOS (cmd.exe) message was actually the dutch equivalent of ""this service hasn't been installed"".
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 11:34:39 AM by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 11:34:13 AM »
Starting to look like this repair was a good idea to add :-)

Since so far everything is looking good I will put out the new version tomorrow.

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 11:34:56 AM »
Oh and Willy, if you would post on the piri forum and let them know the new repair did help you lol

Shane

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline friedmonky

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 12:56:58 PM »
Starting to look like this repair was a good idea to add :-)

I agree 100%!  :smiley:

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2011, 07:09:31 PM »
1. WindowsRepair puts the Windows services back to their safe/default state. But when users don't like that one or more services are changed to the default state then they always can (manually) put one or more services back the user's preferred state. And that's where the System Information Tool of TWEAKING.com can play a vital role. A user can run the program BEFORE he/she runs Windows Repair and record in what state one or more services are in. And there's a MS-DOS command available that can put a service (back) in a desired state. The user even can put a number of commands together in a batch file too. This enables the user to put those services back to their preferred state with ONE mouse click after running WR. IMO, problem solved !!!
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/bb490995.aspx

2. I know there're systemvariables that can be used to, among others, to identify the operating system (XP, Vista or windows 7). Can these variables be used in e.g. the Windows Service section of WindowsRepair ? Because when I read a previous post correctly, it seems that the default state of one or more services are dependent on the type of OS.
http://wapedia.mobi/en/Environment_variable
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 07:11:53 PM by Willy2 »

Offline GizMO5145

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 04:08:33 PM »
Hey Shane,

I know we have been emailing about this but, was curious to hear what other peeps might think of a fix to reset all windows services to default.  Any thoughts anyone?

Rusty  :smiley:

Think this would be really good,, I am having a few issues,, 1) cannot get SP1 to install regardless of what I have tried,,2) cannot get windows media center to work either on windows 7,, tried installing and re-installing and 20 other things I must of found on the net to try,, just keeps shutting down as soon as I start it.. Does this program help with this kind of issues?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 04:28:20 PM »
Think this would be really good,, I am having a few issues,, 1) cannot get SP1 to install regardless of what I have tried,,2) cannot get windows media center to work either on windows 7,, tried installing and re-installing and 20 other things I must of found on the net to try,, just keeps shutting down as soon as I start it.. Does this program help with this kind of issues?

I have seen my repair program fix a lot of things, including not being able to install a service pack and such. A lot of times this is services not running and bad permissions. My program fixes both :-)

Shane

(About Shane)