Author Topic: a few suggestions  (Read 2945 times)

Offline JoeyCrash2

• View Profile
a few suggestions
« on: February 11, 2014, 06:59:43 PM »
I love the program and have some suggestions after finally fixing an issue where no USB devices would install in Windows 8.1:
1.  Add an options to run DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
2.  Change or add to the Windows Services applet that ensures the Device Installer service and HID Access service are set to Automatic

It seems by default the HID service is set to Manual (Trigger) which doesn't allow hotkeys (top keys on keyboard such as Calc and volume settings) to function.  Once it's on auto they all work fine.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: a few suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 09:14:11 AM »
1.  Add an options to run DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Already in the program under Repair Windows 8 Component Store :-)

2.  Change or add to the Windows Services applet that ensures the Device Installer service and HID Access service are set to Automatic

You can actually change that in the services_startup.txt file yourself. I double checked and for every version of Windows the default is manual for that service.

I checked on my system Windows 8.1 and it is set to manual but it is also running.

Also it even says this on the service
Activates and maintains the use of hot buttons on keyboards, remote controls, and other multimedia devices. It is recommended that you keep this service running.

So if MS says it should stay running then why do they have it set to manual by default? And if it is set to manual then that means something else should be starting it, so the question is, what should be starting it but isnt for you?

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline JoeyCrash2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 12:09:04 PM »
Okay, great, thanks.  I didn't realize the component restore already had that repair coded in, probably because, at the time I tried it I had no internet connection due to the USB wireless adapter not working.  I have no idea what would prevent the device installer service and HID service from running.  I don't have any fancy keyboard software installed on the machine, just a Microsoft wireless keyboard from the Wireless 800 desktop series.  And I see the Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse Center doesn't apply to W8.1 so I have no idea what would stop it.  It's a new machine, too, so really there shouldn't be any issues like this, but the hotkey issue was from day 1 on a fresh installed.  We just ignored it until now.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 12:42:07 PM »
I know that if there is any HID device installed then the service will get started up. That means another service that watches hardware would most likely be the one that should start the service.

You said the device installer isnt starting either, again that would be something that monitors the hardware, which should be the plug and play service.

PlugPlay

Enables a computer to recognize and adapt to hardware changes with little or no user input. Stopping or disabling this service will result in system instability.

Which is another service that is default to manual startup, so something else should be starting it if it isnt running lol.

So the only other one I can think of that might start this chain of events, since it has to do with hardware AND it is set for automatic startup is

ShellHWDetection

Provides notifications for AutoPlay hardware events.

Hope some of this will put you on the right track :-)

Shane

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline JoeyCrash2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 01:52:07 PM »
Great, thanks for the pointers.  I'll look at the services again later on to find out.  But, this is all starting to sound like a Model T build - this connects to that, which holds that in place, which holds that in place, which aligns this....If one bolt is missing the whole car will fall apart, but if it's there everything is as solid as a rock, haha.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 01:56:33 PM »
Sounds like Windows to me lol. So many services depend on each other and such. For example the Windows firewall depends on WMI and a lot of other programs and services do as well and if WMI is broken so is everything that needs it.

Shane

(About Shane)

anything