Author Topic: Simple System Tweaker : Make additional changes and UNDO  (Read 10179 times)

Offline mudman

• View Profile
    • strictly functional ceramics
Simple System Tweaker : Make additional changes and UNDO
« on: April 24, 2014, 04:20:17 pm »
(A) I ran some Simple System Tweaks and would now like to run some additional ones. Not sure if the next time around I un-check the first batch of changes and just check the new ones ? or leave them and add new ones ?

(B) If I want to roll back one or two of the changes can this be done ? or does the restore just bring it back to where it was before I did any tweaks ?

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Re: Simple System Tweaker : Make additional changes and UNDO
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:10:44 pm »
SST comes with the program Registry Backup (RB). SST offers you the possibilty to make with RB a copy of the registry and restore the registry to a previous state, in the first screen of SST.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 08:19:13 pm by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 08:43:39 am »
The program can make a fill reg backup with the registry backup program that is with it, you see the option on the welcome tab.

If you dont want to run certain section of tweaks you take the check off at the bottom next to the apply button.

If you run the tweaks and you have something unchecked it puts that tweak back to default on the system and such.

Shane

Offline mudman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 08:53:57 am »
Thanks Shane ...

Guess from your answer that the Registry restore is "in total" not incrementally by tweak ... OK
And glad to know that if I want to undo a tweak I simply uncheck the box and the program puts back the system default ... great solution. But that means that if I have already checked a tweak and then want to do another one later I have to leave the first tweaks checked and simpy add the next tweaks otherwise the program will reset the first ones to default ... now I think I understand ... thanks

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 09:07:17 am »
Correct. But applying a tweak again down the road doesn't hurt anything as it will still be the same as the last time you applied it, most are just registry tweaks so you will be fine :-)

So say you do a visual tweak. It sets those settings in the registry, normally they are simply values like 1 or 0. Then you come back and choose another visual tweak and hit apply, yes all the check boxes get applied, checked or unchecked, but again it is very fast and is just settings registry values :-)

So I have the system set things back to default when unchecked, so then why do I include a full registry backup?

Multiple reasons,
1. Makes some people feel better knowing their whole registry is being backed up just in case.

2. You would be amazed at how many people will try my program along with 10 others all at once, and when things don't work right they will blame all the programs including mine lol (Basically the users who dont really understand how computers and programs work) So for those users, if they ran my tool first and did a reg backup they can restore it to before they did all the other things. I actually had one user download my program and also installed a anti spy ware program from some other company at the same time. She then complained her computer ran slow ever since installing those. I told her my programs don't run in the back ground, there is no way they could slow it down since it is not even running, the anti spyware program you installed is what is running in the background. She said she didnt care and wasnt taking the chance and removed my program. First time I face palmed myself in a long time LOL

3. Some people never read. Anything. So instead of counting on them reading the program and what to do I just use a full backup of the registry. Easier that way :-)

Shane

Offline mudman

• View Profile
Simple System Tweaker : Make additional changes and UNDO (SOLVED)
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 09:17:40 am »
Amazing support .. thanks ... now I'll go over and donate ...
Can't in conscience use these great Tweaking programs for free now can I ...

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 09:21:11 am »
LOL

Shane