Author Topic: (Solved) a repair to the damage that Wise Registry Cleaner does to windows 8  (Read 9162 times)

Offline Cigam

• View Profile
First off what is your opinion on using registry cleaners? but anyway..

This program Wise Registry Cleaner: http://wisecleaner.com/wiseregistrycleanerfree.html seems to remove a registry key or something that causes windows 8 or maybe its 8.1 to make the tiles on the start screen to click but never do anything. and the win+c charms bar will open but you cant go into pc settings or other things either. you can though, push win+d and still goto the desktop and it works. but no tiles/metro items work.

Is there a way you can add a fix for this? When I have a back up of the registry that it makes automatically I use it to restore it back to before the cleaning and it fixes itself. so I know something is being messed up. Basically in my tests its just downloading the portable version of the program: http://wisecleaner.com/soft/WRCPro.zip unzip it and run the program leave it as the default settings and just click the clean button. then I did the optimize to the system as well and that was it. I did not do the registry defrag.

I had a computer that came in that there was no backup and we had to restore it because I dont know what key to fix. is there some easy way to figure out? from my tests everytime I do it on a windows 8 / 8.1 machine that bug happens. I would really appreciate the help :)

Side note I also used your latest version of the program and repaired a desktop (also windows 8.1) that said it was not activated even though it was activated. I used your repair and it fixed it back to how it was supposed to be of activated and it knew it was activated :) I cannot say how much I value this little tool thanks!

*(edit)* to help clarify the wrcpro.zip that I link to above is the old version the newest version is the wrcfree.zip which I think does not have the error, but to see the glitch happen use the link I posted above but the correct newest version that should support windows 8 is this one: http://wisecleaner.com/soft/WRCFree.zip hope that helps too for testing.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 11:08:48 AM by Cigam »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
First off what is your opinion on using registry cleaners? but anyway..

I never use them. The registry is the hive mind of Windows and is where 90% of windows problems happen. When you use an automated program there is to many chances for something to go wrong.

Which is what was happening here.

I loaded up 8.1 in vmware, all current updates. Download the pro zip you posted and ran the cleanup, system rebooted fine and went to the desktop like I always have it, but when i went to the tile screen, clicking on any of them didnt work.

So thankfully the program made a reg file with all the keys it took out, looking through that I can see it removed a LOT of things it shouldnt have.

I found the following regkeys it removed, which are the open commands and why the titles stopped working. Once I put just these keys back the titles worked like they should :-)

Code: [Select]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SettingContent\shell\open\command]
"DelegateExecute"="{0c194cb2-2959-4d14-8964-37fd3e48c32d}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MusicSearchProvider\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ms-windows-store\shell\open\command]
"DelegateExecute"="{4ed3a719-cea8-4bd9-910d-e252f997afc2}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ms-windows-search\shell\open\command]
"DelegateExecute"="{ba6f127a-44ab-4674-b8f3-7131fa4dc645}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Microsoft.PhotoManager.videotype\shell\open\command]
"DelegateExecute"="{4ED3A719-CEA8-4BD9-910D-E252F997AFC2}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Microsoft.PhotoManager.panotype\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Microsoft.PhotoManager.imagetype\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\LocalPathSearchProvider\shell\open\command]
"DelegateExecute"="{BB08E6F8-8877-4AC9-B224-E71D2ED5968F}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Launcher.SystemSettings\shell\open\command]
"DelegateExecute"="{44090B31-CDF9-4ad1-8182-DB5DA3627974}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Launcher.Search\shell\open\command]
"DelegateExecute"="{C90FB8CA-3295-4462-A721-2935E83694BA}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Launcher.ImmersiveApplication\shell\open\command]
"DelegateExecute"="{A9249952-F4C6-4BCD-9B44-6A5BA9B5209E}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Launcher.DualModeApplication\shell\open\command]
"DelegateExecute"="{18277AB8-9922-4D26-A4F5-1D10069D106A}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Launcher.DesktopApplication\shell\open\command]
"DelegateExecute"="{99969a8f-27e6-4adf-ab9f-b5b5e90d4733}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Launcher.Desktop\shell\open\command]
"DelegateExecute"="{fcf8ebcb-d6cd-4f87-be38-d40b90ef2fb8}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Launcher.Computer\shell\open\command]
"DelegateExecute"="{99969a8f-27e6-4adf-ab9f-b5b5e90d4733}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ConnectedSearchProvider.Web\shell\open\command]
"DelegateExecute"="{99325BBE-E0A7-48A1-A23E-716582D09FEF}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ConnectedSearchProvider.Protocol\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ConnectedSearchProvider.App\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ConnectedSearchProvider\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ApplicationContent\shell\open\command]

I am going to see about adding this to the Windows Repair tool :-)

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Cigam

• View Profile
Did you try the WRCfree to see if it does it too? but cool thanks for adding it to the repair :)

Also in regards to the registry cleaners most companies use some kind of registry cleaner in their scan is it worth anything to use them or just never use them at all? Meaning what if there are registry entries that are unneeded or something. is it worth trying to remove them with things like WRCfree or some other one? or just never use them and just do the repair /registry defrag to help?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
I didnt try the free since I thought I read that you said the bug was fixed in that one. So i only ran the one that I knew had the problem :-)

Also in regards to the registry cleaners most companies use some kind of registry cleaner in their scan is it worth anything to use them or just never use them at all? Meaning what if there are registry entries that are unneeded or something. is it worth trying to remove them with things like WRCfree or some other one? or just never use them and just do the repair /registry defrag to help?

The only one I have ever used has been ccleaner and thats only when I needed to. The registry is a database, and deleting registry keys wont speed it up or help it. The problem with the registry is the same problem as with any database, it bloats and gets bigger and bigger. So when you delete keys the registry files dont get any smaller.

So just like with any database the trick is to rebuild it into a new file so all the bloat is gone and only the current data is there. This is where the speed increase comes from. So say a system has been running very slow and you look and the registry has gotten very very big. This happens when there is a lot of adding and deleting from the registry, just like a database.

Well when windows is working with the registry it has all the data to go through. Thats why when the registry is rebuilt it is far faster since the file is smaller and there is less data.

So you have some programs called registry defrag, well unless they are actually defragging the registry files on the hard drive then they are not defraging crap but instead rebuilding the registry into a new file. Which is what my program does here
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/tweaking_com_registry_compressor.html

So cleaners rarly help. They may help if Windows is trying to load something that isnt there but that really isnt a problem in Windows any more. So while removing those unused keys should help speed things up it really doesnt unless you rebuild the registry after :-)

Shane

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Cigam

• View Profile
Thanks ;) ill just use your repair and compressor from now on.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
You will always get different results with my program because each system is different.

On a fresh install of windows or on a system that has been installed a long time but not much has been done to it you will see only a small file size drop.

But on one of my systems which had not been reinstalled for about a year, I had installed and removed a ton of programs in that time and so lots of things have been done in the registry, and I mean lots!. Well when I did my registry compress on it the file size had dropped by over 120 MB! that is how bad the registry had gotten bloated on that system (I think it was a program that was storing information in the registry continually when you are not suppose to do that as that will cause the bloat, this is why all my programs keep their settings in a ini file instead). After I compressed it (Rebuilt the registry) and I rebooted, the system was as fast as when I first installed it. Opening any window and doing anything else was so much faster.

The reason why is when you do ANYTHING in windows it checks for keys in the registry that has to do with what you are doing. So it looping through a 58 MB registry file vs a 178 MB registry file there is going to be a heck of an improvement and far less cpu usage.

So just keep that in mind that you will always get different results and speed increases. You will notice improvements better based on how bloated the registry is :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline wisecleaner

• View Profile
Hi guys,
My name is Ivan, work for wisecleaner.com.
One of our user told us that Wise Registry Cleaner may damage Win8 in his post.
We tested the issue yesterday, but can't find any problem. Wise Registry Cleaner does not find any keys referred in the list above. Could you tell which version caused the issue? We will test it again.
We will try our best to make our products better, Thanks.

One more thing, Shane said that cleaning up registry can't speedup PC's performance, but it makes your PC run more stable and avoid some errors caused by registry key errors. And sure rebuilding registries may speedup your PC's when your computer has too many registres. Wise Registry Cleaner has the feature included--registry defrag.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you,
Best regards,

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
Ok what was the version of Wise Registry Cleaner use that made Windows 8 titles break? Thanks.

Offline Cigam

• View Profile
Hi guys,
My name is Ivan, work for wisecleaner.com.
One of our user told us that Wise Registry Cleaner may damage Win8 in his post.
We tested the issue yesterday, but can't find any problem. Wise Registry Cleaner does not find any keys referred in the list above. Could you tell which version caused the issue? We will test it again.
We will try our best to make our products better, Thanks.

One more thing, Shane said that cleaning up registry can't speedup PC's performance, but it makes your PC run more stable and avoid some errors caused by registry key errors. And sure rebuilding registries may speedup your PC's when your computer has too many registres. Wise Registry Cleaner has the feature included--registry defrag.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you,
Best regards,

Ivan its the version in my first post. its the pro version from a while ago: http://wisecleaner.com/soft/WRCPro.zip the free version which is the newest I believe is the fixed version.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Welcome to the forums Ivan :-)

This can be true as well, if Windows or a program is looking for something a lot of times then the program that is looking for those files will take longer to load. Normally those things go pretty fast, on older systems it was very noticeable. But of course any performance gain is judged by how many of those where causing problems and what programs needed them.

As for the problems I found, the version of the program was 7.8.4.514

This was ran on Windows 8.1 in vmware and the registry keys I found it removed where in the reg file it made as a backup. I couldn't find any log file but I have attached the reg file it created. I still had it on the vmware image I tested it on.

Hope it will be of some help for you :wink:

Shane

(About Shane)