Author Topic: Tip to Check your "Environment Variable" Path  (Read 2883 times)

Offline LDM

• View Profile
Tip to Check your "Environment Variable" Path
« on: September 29, 2014, 05:39:03 PM »
Way back in the "old days", setting the "Environment Variable" "PATH" was routine.  Today, it is almost forgotten and hidden, and almost never mentioned.  Almost nothing ever checks it anymore.

I was experiencing all kinds of weirdness and slow-downs on my Win7 computer.  No matter what I tried, I could not figure out the problem, until one day I was in the command mode and encountered an old, familiar dos error "not an internal or external command".  I immediately hunted down my "Environment Variable" and discovered that somehow it had become corrupted (by another program?):

Win 7 c:\windows\system32;c:\windows\system32\wbem;

Can you spot the path error?
First, there is no Win 7 on my computer.
Second, the field entries for the path need to be separated by a semi-colon (";")

So in this case, my computer's path to system32 was not set correctly, and anything, any app, any file, any command, any scripts, any install/uninstall routine that required any number of files in my system32 folder was not found and unavailable.  My computer still ran without this path set correctly, but had all kinds of unexplained weird problems and slow-downs.

After correcting the Environment path, my Win7 computer is now running nice and smooth again!

Hope this tip is useful.

Offline RaveRocks

• View Profile
Re: Tip to Check your "Environment Variable" Path
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 07:41:55 PM »
A great tool to check the environment of a running application or service is Process Explorer.  It's interesting to see where each environment variable is first set during the boot up process and where a service or application is storing it's settings or temporary files based on their AppData location.
You'll find me on Twitter and You-Tube but never again on Facebook. My first computer was a $99 TI-994a. By the end of the first day, I was able to write and save the Oscar Myer Weiner song.  If only today's goals were so simple.