Author Topic: Zero Access firewall disabled fix.  (Read 12377 times)

Offline stevewilliams

• View Profile
Zero Access firewall disabled fix.
« on: May 02, 2012, 08:56:48 PM »
I managed to get my computer infected with what Macafee identified ZeroAccess.e root kit. McAfee was able to take care of the actual infected program but not before it did some damage to my firewalls.  Every time I tried to start the firewall I got the following error  "Windows can't change Some of your settings. Error Code 0x80070424" and when I try to go to advanced settings I get the error above "Windows Firewall with advanced Security snap-in failed to load. Error Code 0x6D9".  I found many forums talking about the firewall just being disabled however in my case the service had completely disappeared.

After about a week of searching I ran accross this site and decided to give your all in one solution a shot. As excited as I was about this I was disapointed that it didn't fix my problem....on a brighter note I did find the solution and thought that you might be able to add it into your application if it is ok with the original author of course.

Running Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate
The fix I found is at http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/topic/49542-cant-start-windows-firewall%3B-windows-firewall-service-missing-fix/

Fix should work with xp, vista, and win7 but I only have a win7 machine so I can't be sure.
Not everything in that article applied to me so below are my abreviated instructions specific to my case.

Turned out that my problem was three missing registry key directories and a device manager driver that was disabled.
Open Regedit and see if the following three registry keys exist.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess - this is Windows Firewall service key, which depends on following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MpsSvc - Windows Firewall Authorization Driver
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BFE - Base Filtering Engine

if they do exist some or all of the sub directorys may be missing. After they are fixed they should look like the images that I have attached.

The next thing you need to check is in the device manager.
 Go to Device Manager, click on "View" tab and select show hidden devices.
 Expand "No plug and play drivers", select Windows firewall authorization driver.
 Right click on it and click "Properties".
 Click on "Driver" tab.
 Set "Startup" to "Demand" and click on "Start" button"

Go to http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/files/download/9-registry-network-keys/
And download the file for your operating system (Win7.zip in my case).
Extract the files.

Before you continue backup your registry just in case.  I didn't run into any issues but you never know.

Right click on the following 3 .reg files in the extracted folder and click merge one at a time.
If you get registry warning about modifing the registry click ok and continue.

bfe.reg
mpssvc.reg
wscsvc.reg

Restart your computer.

Try to open your windows firewall.  Firewall should now be running again.

Hope this helps.

Steven

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: Zero Access firewall disabled fix.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 09:11:22 AM »
Thanks for the info :-)

The Windows repair fixes one of the services, shared access, but not the other two.

If you look in the files folder in the windows repair folder you will see firewall_settings.reg

Looks like it would be a good idea to get those other 2 services added :wink:

The shared access is the same for each version of windows, but the other 2 are not. Shouldn't be a problem though.

Thanks again, you just helped make my repair tool better :wink:

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: Zero Access firewall disabled fix.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 09:58:09 AM »
Ok I have added the 3 services to the repair windows firewall.

New v1.7.3 will be released this Sunday :-)

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com