Author Topic: Enable Windows Defender on Windows 8, when enabling it leads to system32 fldr  (Read 5883 times)

Offline Netguy101

• View Profile
"To fix this error, first take control of

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Defender using the method described here (http://www.groovypost.com/howto/take-full-permissions-control-edit-protected-registry-keys/). Note that if you do not see the "owner" tab as mentioned, change the owner from "SYSTEM" to your user name.

After that, you ought to be able to edit the "DisableAntivirus" and "DisableAntiSpyware" keys to 0 and Windows defender will open normally.

I recommend changing the permissions on this key back to SYSTEM when done."

Source: http://pastebin.com/2e9rxqVh

Hope this helps people who had problems enabling Windows Defender on Win 8, I know it helped me numerous times.

Offline Netguy101

• View Profile
I'm wondering if this fix could be automated and added to the Windows all in one fix?
Sometimes when you remove your AV/IS suite, Windows Defender is unable to be turned on through the traditional ways on Win 8/8.1.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Right now the program puts back the defender service
windefend.reg in the files folder, but I dont have it touch the settings for windows defender (The permissions repair would fix any permissions removed on the registry keys)

I dont have it touch the settings because if the system has another AV installed then defender is normally turned off.

But if someone had it on and it was disabled and they couldnt change it, then the registry permissions repair would fix the permissions and then the user should be able to change the settings just fine. Of course I say should, doesnt mean it does, this is MS after all LOL

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

anything