Author Topic: Advanced System Tweaker Suggestion  (Read 21080 times)

Offline maxTweak

• View Profile
Re: Advanced System Tweaker Suggestion
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2012, 07:00:49 PM »
hi Shane - thanks to you and all the contributors for slick little toy   :cheesy:

i think AST is an awesome program, especially in that users can easily create and submit more tweaks/add-ons

i also very much like the fact that the tweaks are extremely well documented - i haven't seen documentation like this elsewhere and, again, i have to say i think this was a super idea. stellar!

there's a couple things i don't like, some of which may have been mentioned (i didn't read through thread)...

1) apparently no checks are preformed when it is first run to see (and indicate) which tweaks are already applied - because of the complexity of tweaks that are applied through scripts, i don't know this is possible in all instances, but i think reg tweaks could at least be checked and indicated.  this is where i really prefer a simple checkbox next to the tweak so one can easily see the state.

2) personally - and maybe i'm missing something here - i'm not seeing the reason for the control in the upper-right which seems to always display either enable/disable, or just enable.  again, i think a simple checkbox next to each tweak in the list control would be better and would thus eliminate the need for the upper-right control, or free it uo for something more useful

3) in the list control, the up/dn arrow keys only highlight a list item - would be better to highlight and select i would think

4) GUI - needs to be bigger to accommodate the length of the tweak names or, better yet, resizable.  hundreds of tweaks in this sucker already and probably many more hundreds coming.  regarding the program skin, personally, and i hope i'm not offending anyone, i spent some time customizing my Windows theme and i like the way windows looks, so i kind of don't like custom skins since they break the uniform look of Windows themes

5) i saw the discussion about a search/filter option.  i think that's a good idea but, personally, given the number of tweaks and the amount to come, i think better organization is needed.  i would propose something that might make locating specific tweaks easier...

Explorer (as an example)
- Performance
- Security
- Features
-- (sub cat)
- etc.

Network
- Performance
- Security
- Features
-- (sub cat)
- etc.

6) program should detect OS and only load appropriate tweaks.  if this were the case there wouldn't be any need for categories like "Windows 7 Only" i wouldn't think.  perhaps an even better solution would be to have the installer detect the OS and only copy appropriate files (or maybe it does? i d/l'd the zip)

forum related - maybe just because i'm new user, but i see i'm having to fill in captcha and challenge before submitting? 

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2012, 07:14:53 PM »
1) apparently no checks are preformed when it is first run to see (and indicate) which tweaks are already applied - because of the complexity of tweaks that are applied through scripts, i don't know this is possible in all instances, but i think reg tweaks could at least be checked and indicated.  this is where i really prefer a simple checkbox next to the tweak so one can easily see the state.

The program only keeps track which ones it has ran (by a simple list) With so many add ons and people being able to add their own it would be impossible to see which has been applied. Not to mention that means opening every add on file to read its contents :wink:

2) personally - and maybe i'm missing something here - i'm not seeing the reason for the control in the upper-right which seems to always display either enable/disable, or just enable.  again, i think a simple checkbox next to each tweak in the list control would be better and would thus eliminate the need for the upper-right control, or free it uo for something more useful

Yes this section is where people who make thier own add ons or for any future ones I do to have the abilty to add controls they need. You will see how it is used in the add on creator. :-)

3) in the list control, the up/dn arrow keys only highlight a list item - would be better to highlight and select i would think

Currently I have it to where when you use the keyboard you hit enter on the one you want and it loads. Other wise it has to open and read each one as your keying up or down the list. More of a performance problem then.

4) GUI - needs to be bigger to accommodate the length of the tweak names or, better yet, resizable.  hundreds of tweaks in this sucker already and probably many more hundreds coming.  regarding the program skin, personally, and i hope i'm not offending anyone, i spent some time customizing my Windows theme and i like the way windows looks, so i kind of don't like custom skins since they break the uniform look of Windows themes

I am going to try to add resizing down the road. I have a lot of things hard coded for positions. Going to be fun getting resize going lol.
As for skinning I know where your coming from. I was going to add an option to control all the program colors. But when I started it turned out to have 54 colors a user could set lol So I held off with it till I started getting requests for it :wink:

5) i saw the discussion about a search/filter option.  i think that's a good idea but, personally, given the number of tweaks and the amount to come, i think better organization is needed.  i would propose something that might make locating specific tweaks easier...

This is the perfect reason why I did things the way I did  :artist:
The treeview is loaded based on the folder layout in the tweaks folder. Allowing people to sort and change things the way they want :-) Give it a try.

6) program should detect OS and only load appropriate tweaks.  if this were the case there wouldn't be any need for categories like "Windows 7 Only" i wouldn't think.  perhaps an even better solution would be to have the installer detect the OS and only copy appropriate files (or maybe it does? i d/l'd the zip)

Again this comes down to all the tweak files. Each one would have to be opened and read for which OS they support. You can see how this would be a problem. I do have the program tell the user and not apply the tweak however.

forum related - maybe just because i'm new user, but i see i'm having to fill in captcha and challenge before submitting? 

I need to double check but I think I have it set for just the ifrst post. This is to avoid bots :wink:

Shane
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 07:16:39 PM by Shane »
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline maxTweak

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2012, 07:55:51 PM »
okeedokee - now i see things a bit clearer

still not clear on the add-ons though; if the user re-arranges the directory structure, what happens during a program update when and add-on that gets updated is now in a different folder and possibly with a different file name?

add-on rating system - so if an add-on gets a good rating then it's included in the next release? 

this is interesting because there's a cool 'loop' here in that the user can create and submit an add-on from the program.  i'm thinking how new add-ons could be better integrated in the loop ... just thinking out loud here...

why couldn't you d/l them directly from the program?  that being the case, would any add-ons at all need to be packaged with the program? most people would only use a tiny % of them

if new add-ons can be downloaded, could they also be rated from within the program? 

how do you prevent malicious code?  every script has to be reviewed before it's available for download by the program?  if so, and if add-ons can be downloaded, then is there even a need for a rating system?

also another possible idea - would it be beneficial to add another field on the add-on creator that links to the forum post about the add-on, if one is available?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:05:20 PM by maxTweak »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2012, 08:04:01 PM »
still not clear on the add-ons though; if the user re-arranges the directory structure, what happens during a program update when and add-on that gets updated is now in a different folder and possibly with a different file name?

That is a draw back. I should look into a better way to handle updates because of that. Something like just the updated files along side the new setup. This way a user only has to download the updated files and not everything again. Like a more manual update.

add-on rating system - so if an add-on gets a good rating then it's included in the next release?

this is interesting because there's a cool 'loop' here in that the user can create and submit an add-on from the program.  i'm thinking how new add-ons could be better integrated in the loop ... just thinking out loud here...

why couldn't you d/l them directly from the program?  that being the case, would any add-ons at all need to be packaged with the program? most people would only use a tiny % of them

if new add-ons can be downloaded, could they also be rated from within the program? 

These are things I plan on depending if the program gets popular. Right now it is still very new and unknown. I want to do an add on option and ratings just like firefox does. I love the way they do it and want to do something similar. But that is a HUGE task and need the program to be more popular to warrant it.

how do you prevent malicious code?  every script has to be reviewed before it's available for download by the program?  if so, and if add-ons can be downloaded, then is there even a need for a rating system?

Right now people post their new add ons in the forums. There they will find a like button. This is my current easy way to rate them in the forum till I find something better.

From there users can leave comments and also request the add on be included in the program. By having it posted here I can keep an eye on things as well. And so can other users.

All future plans that depend on how the program grows :-)

I had to start somewhere. I am just one programmer lol

Every program on pcwintech.com and tweaking.com was coded by me. :cheesy:

Shane

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline maxTweak

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2012, 08:27:47 PM »
thanks for the reply

this would be down the road, i know, but i'll mention it anyway 'cause i'm all excited... and it does sort of fit with your future plans i think

the problem (if you want to call it that) with the mozilla system is that to interact with the developer/community you have to go to the website.  i'm just thinking here about what you've created with the add-on creator and how that could be extended into a sort of community, but all from *within the program* with no need to go anywhere else.  so you can apply, download, create, submit, rate and view add-on ratings all from within the program - a sort of 'social tweaking platform'   :smiley:

so an add-on is created and submitted, then reviewed by 'staff' - i'm sure allot of forum users would be willing to hunt malicious coders and crappy scripts - and then is released, after which it is immediately available for download in the program, probably from a dedicated part of the UI where they can check off the ones they want and permanently hide the ones they don't

and on occasion the users ratings for tweaks are uploaded so they can be shared among others

glad i'm not coding this!  :rolleyes:

also, you posted while i was editing my last post so i'll mention it again in case you didn't catch it...

another possible idea - would it be beneficial to add another field on the add-on creator that links to the forum post about the add-on, if one is available?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2012, 08:29:28 PM »
another possible idea - would it be beneficial to add another field on the add-on creator that links to the forum post about the add-on, if one is available?

The "Get More Add-ons" at the top of the list does that :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline umpio

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2012, 03:49:23 AM »
and the add-on creator has the "upload your custom-addons" version! :)

Not perfect, but better.

Added a scrollbar tot he fav. list and also added a mouse over tooltip of the item in both search and fav list ;)

Shane

Big improvements, i think! :) I also thought first that I have to drag and drop tweaks to the edit list. Is the right click option only way to do it at the moment? What about some star button like firefox has for bookmarking or a button "add to the favorites" in tweak's description side?

I also like the idea of how to make the add-ons system within the program, that custom addons could be downloaded, reviewed and commented in the program. But is this just too much work? Mozilla also uses a web based system, where the add-ons are on the website, like the forums is now, which most of the users use to find them, comment and review. Firefox add-ons can't be reviewed or commented without going to the website, only installing them is possible.

Another option could be own web site section for the custom add-ons, like some mozilla style. This could be expanded with a possibility to load the ratings to the program for the custom add-ons or to add user ratings within the program and if possible to download addons from the website database. But is this all needed if the web site or the forums are used for this in the first place?

hmm downloading and using custom addons could be a bit easier if they would be in a package that the program would install by itself and launch the program. Like some custom file extension for the archive package, like the ".tweak" is for now for the tweaks. And could the custom tweaks be removed from the program? If I just want to try some custom tweak and then remove it after trying it.

And also could you make a shortcut from the add-on creator to the AST, (like AST has now to the add-on creator)? Would speed up the testing of just created tweaks in action! :D