Author Topic: (SOLVED) BSOD on installing zte data card Ac2739.  (Read 11923 times)

Offline rama

• View Profile
Re: (SOLVED) BSOD on installing zte data card Ac2739.
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 06:53:45 AM »
During the past month, I have come to see the seamy side Of Windows. Now I have the same problems as at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/why-does-windows-7-think-my-usb-modem-is-a-cd-rom/1c5be829-0e97-4900-a80c-344dab4f58ff, and have to shut down the computer if I want to safely remove the modem. I've decided to let it be and ignore the "solutions" suggested by MS, lest Windows messes up and renders the modem inoperable like it did in Vista.

Regarding the rules at the Vista forum, this is what they say:

This site includes links to other sites on the world wide web. We are not responsible for such sites and cannot vouch for the suitability or accuracy of their content. You link to them at your own risk.

though they also say

The owners of [ARG:2 UNDEFINED] reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Regards,
Rama.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2015, 07:17:35 AM »
I should have Googled what that card was as I was working on the assumption you were trying to install another video card.  :sleep:

Have you tried uninstalling the DVD drive then rebooting to see if you still get the same error ?

As the problem has started again in Win 7 have you contacted ZTE as it may not be Windows which is the cause.

If others have reported this problem to them they may have a solution such as going to your computer support site and downloading the chipset drivers ?

http://www.zte.co.nz/main/data.htm

Edited for details change.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 07:27:19 AM by Boggin »

Offline rama

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2015, 11:17:00 AM »
Uninstalling the DVD drive then rebooting has made no difference. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/why-does-windows-7-think-my-usb-modem-is-a-cd-rom/1c5be829-0e97-4900-a80c-344dab4f58ff clearly says that the issue was there in two different makes. Also, the zte modem is a self-contained unit, and is also working perfectly. I'm sure Windows is messing up with the drivers, because when I first reinstalled Vista and installed Sony Ericsson PC companion, Vista tried to install drivers and BSODed.  When I tried again, Sony Ericsson PC companion said "don't let windows install drivers", and somehow managed to install its own drivers. After installation it worked perfectly, but Vista showed an error in Device Manager that drivers are not properly installed.

As far as chipset drivers are concerned, there is no support for this model in Toshiba site, not even in the legacy category.

Regards,
Rama.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2015, 12:47:54 PM »
If your Toshiba is using AMD as mine is, the AMD video drivers are the chipset drivers.

AMD has an auto detect and install if that is the case. http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

The AMD's video drivers Southbridge looks after the USB Controllers and if these apply to you, use the Custom install and select all as sometimes it just wants to reinstall the CCC.

I'm an update behind on the auto detect and install because their latest drivers put a red hue on mine so I had to go into Device manager and roll back the driver, but it may not be the same for you.

If your Display drivers are Radeon HD then they are AMD.

Offline rama

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 04:50:36 AM »
Thank you very much Boggin for your  untiring help. My video card is ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series. Before reinstalling Vista, I had indeed tried the AMD tool as well as the Intel tool, but they did not find any drivers to install.

I forgot to tell you yesterday that the Maximum memory box is under the advanced boot options (msconfig - system cofiguration - Boot - Advanced options). It seems to indicate more and more towards  the Bios, considering the fact that the system originally came with a 512 MB RAM   (and 80 GB HDD).

I found out something very important today. When the modem installed and worked in Windows 7, my relief was so great that I failed to check what driver Windows has used. I checked now and found it that it is none other than the villain of the past month - cdrom.sys. Now we can understand what has been happening. When I inserted it in Vista, Widows tried to install it with cdrom.sys, which created a conflict, and Vista crashed, correctly blaming cdrom.sys. Windows 7 seems to be more tolerant and is working, but taking it as a cdrom, which of course can not be ejected, but can be uninstalled from the device manager.

Regards,
Rama.                                                                                                                                                               .                                               

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 08:51:02 AM »
Well that's something else that's came to light since installing Win 7.

I'd forgotten about that bit in msconfig.

This laptop is Dual Core and initially I'd wondered why it only showed 1 in the Core box, but realised that it would only use one core at Boot and my Max Memory is also unchecked.

Offline rama

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 06:40:36 AM »
Finally it seems that I have found workarounds for the two problems.

First, the ejecting problem. According to http://www.windows7library.com/blog/performance/usb-quick-removal-option/, "Removing USB flash memory devices from your computer does not require you to use the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media function if the removal policy is set to default.". I first came to know of this from the comments of "Zibrz" at http://www.pcworld.com/article/2040932/how-to-safely-remove-a-usb-drive-even-when-windows-says-it-isnt-safe-to-do-so.html , so all thanks to him. I've also considered the warning at http://www.howtogeek.com/118546/htg-explains-do-you-really-need-to-safely-remove-usb-sticks/ , but I still think it is safe because of the following reasons.

1. I will be pulling out the modem only after disconnecting from the internet and closing the modem's interface.
2. There is 0 bytes free of 46.4 MB in the modem, so there is no possibility of Windows or other programs writing to it.

If there is any error in my reasoning, or if anyone has some relevant info that I'm unaware of, please post.

Second, the autoplay problem . I have gone to Control panel - Hardware and Sound - Autoplay and changed the option to "take no action" for the very first item in the list- Audio CD. Now when I insert the modem, the  autoplay menu doesn't open, but the modem's interface opens and gets ready to connect to the internet. I have confirmed that this change only has made the difference, because I haven't made this change in another User Account, and there Autoplay menu opens when the modem is inserted. Don't ask me what's the connection between playing an audio cd and opening a modem's interface, you'll have to  ask MS that!

Regards,
Rama.   

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 08:20:09 AM »
Although my laptop is default to remove safely, I still use the safe to eject.

Not sure if you'll be able to do anything about this, but go Start - type msinfo32 - press enter - expand Hardware Resources - Conflicts/Sharing and then in IRQs.

Then expand Components - Problem Devices to see if anything is listed in there.

I agree, plugging in a networking USB shouldn't bring up Autoplay.

According to the specs for your laptop, it has a ATI Radeon HD5870 chip fitted, but to confirm, go Start - type dxdiag - press enter and see what it has under the Display tab.

AMD's video drivers are also the Chipset drivers so it could be worth going to Toshiba's driver support site for your location or use AMD's auto detect and see what it has for your graphics. http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

I always use the Custom install and select all, but the latest Win 7 drivers for my HD6310 puts a red hue on my screen so I had to roll back that driver in Device Manager, but it may be different for you.

I would also check Toshiba's support site for a BIOS update - the System tab in dxdiag will show which BIOS version you have installed.

Offline rama

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 11:56:19 AM »
I too would prefer to unplug the modem after shutting down the laptop most of the time, but I think there is no harm in deviating in special circumstances.

No "Problem Devices" have been listed under System info.

Directx,  as Speccy did, mentions ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series. The AMD tool says "We are unable to find a driver for your system". However, I don't think there is a problem with drivers, except this modem case. Earlier, two devices were marked with driver errors in device manager, but Drive the Life has taken care of that. The Bios is Phoenix 5.40  but unfortunately there is no update available in their or Toshiba's  site.

Regards,
Rama.   

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 04:47:59 PM »
What does dxdaig under the System tab give for your Processor ?

When you are using an AMD Processor, the video drivers are the chipset drivers and the Southbridge aspect looks after the USB Controllers.

My thinking was if something had gotten corrupted with those, reinstalling may straighten them out.

You could check to see if Device Manager/Action/Add legacy hardware has any AMD video/chipset drivers to suit, but under Display it only has chipset  drivers for Intel in mine.

Offline rama

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 12:38:43 AM »
 dxdaig under the System tab mentions Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2080 @1.73GHz. I have re-run the Intel Driver Update Utility, but it doesn't list any driver as available - neither under Latest Drivers nor Old Drivers. I tried the Add legacy hardware wizard, and it said that it didn't find any hardware.

Regards,
Rama.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2015, 04:30:09 AM »
Does the Toshiba support site for your model list any chipset drivers that you can reinstall ?

Intel normally list these but you never know if the computer vendor has modified them so it's always best to get chipset and/or video drivers from the computer support site, although this isn't normally the case when an AMD processor has been installed.

When I checked Toshiba support site for any updated video drivers for my Toshiba, it took me to AMD so I know I can go straight there to check for updates.

Offline rama

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2015, 10:58:13 AM »
Before I reinstalled Vista, I checked the Toshiba site for driver and bios update. Though some updates were available for satellite A100 at http://pc.toshiba-asia.com/mn/support/legacy-drivers, no update was available for my model PSAAKL - they were specific about model number. Now I found that updates for Windows 7 for all A100 have been posted at http://support.toshiba-tie.co.jp/windows7/download/Satellite_A100_32_sp.htm. As per the recommendation found there, I downloaded  Toshiba Service Station 2.2.9 from http://www.support.toshiba.com/support/viewContentDetail?contentId=4003322 and ran it. It reports that no software updates are available. I remember Drive the Life downloading and installing some drivers, and it seems to have done the job adequately.

Regards,
Rama.   

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2015, 04:26:37 PM »
I was thinking about re-downloading existing drivers for Win 7 as the computer will be end of life as far as Toshiba are concerned.

Offline rama

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2015, 03:13:37 AM »
Okay, I got your point. I downloaded the relevant drivers and utilities from http://support.toshiba-tie.co.jp/windows7/download/Satellite_A100_32_sp.htm and installed. All of them installed without problem, except the Intel Chipset SW Installation Utility, which reported that the minimum requirements are not met. I downloaded the ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series driver from Cnet Download, which installed without problem. After restart, I uninstalled and reinstalled the modem. However, it is still recognized as a cdrom drive, and also 1Gb RAM only is detected.

Regards,
Rama.