Author Topic: Missing Windows Servicing Packages files & update problems  (Read 71661 times)

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
Missing Windows Servicing Packages files & update problems
« on: April 09, 2015, 03:52:59 AM »
Hi, for some time now I have had problems updating my Windows 7 SP1 64-bit Dell Inspiron One. I have tried numerous fixes and repairs (including the SURT and your own Windows Repair on several occasions), and nothing seems to work!  :angry:

I have tried your latest (v.3.1.2) All-in-one repair which checks the windows packages and reparse points etc, and it gives me a whole loooong list of missing files, and one missing default reparse point which I tick to repair but every time I rescan it goes "missing" again!
Is there a way or procedure to add all the missing files manually or via a script? When I try Windows own Update it returns error 80073701 which I believe is a corrupt registry error, and alternative update methods (direct MS download and installation, PatchMyPC, PortUp, APUP, etc..) don't work either, although occasionally I can get the odd update to install via PortUp, despite a growing number that just won't!  :cry:

Can anybody help please? If any more info is needed on anything let me know and I'll be more than happy to provide it...

Cheers, Tone

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Re: Missing Windows Servicing Packages files & update problems
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 08:55:22 AM »
- Post the (long) list in your next reply. (attachment)
- Suggestions for a succesful Windows Update:
   - Select "Notify before Download". Then you can do the updates when you & your system got enough time.
   - When Windows asks you to restart, decline. Windows simply has to wait with updating until you shut down your system.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:01:05 AM by Willy2 »

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 11:42:23 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I have tried every setting in Windows Update that's available, and none of them work or make any difference! It won't even check for updates - I get an amber message saying I need to install an update to WU to be able to check for updates, then when I click Install Now it eventually gives me the red error message Unable to update 80073701, so that's not the issue. I can only hope that sorting out the missing service packaging files will correct the registry corruption and allow the updates to work.  :confused:

Anyway, the list of missing files and reparse point error from the Pre-scan Repair is attached, please let me know what to do from here...

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 12:25:42 PM »
- Open "Control Panel", "Programs & features", "View installed Updates" to see how many updates were succesfully installed. On my Win 7 SP 1 system I have about 210 updates in total.
- Post that number and wait for Shane'reply.

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 05:08:58 PM »
Ok, well my system appears to have a different number completely! There are 323 Total updates installed (the number at the bottom of the page), and scrolling through the different categories of updates 284 are Microsoft Windows updates.

When I last ran PortUp several days ago there were about 30 more Windows updates showing as requiring installation, dating from March 15 back to 2012! Not sure what any of these numbers mean or how complete they are so am looking forward to see what Shane has to say on it......  :sleep:

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 01:02:19 PM »
That is a lot of missing files from the packages.

The list of files that should be in there are in the registry. So either some update didn't remove those registry keys or something removed all those files.

Windows updates looks at those files when installing an update, and if there is an error of any kind the update will simply bomb out and not install. But any update that didn't need to read any of those missing files will most likly have installed just fine.

So there are two ways to try and fix it.

1. Remove the registry keys pointing to the files, I havent tested this much yet so I dont do it.
2. Replace the missing files, which i can get for you.

If you havent done so yet try running the system readiness tool, it might help replace some of the missing files, cutting down on the number of files I need to hunt down lol
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858

After you run and install that reboot the system then run the pre-scan again and post the log. :wink:

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 03:14:06 AM »
Cheers Shane. Yeah I thought it was a Long list as well!  :tongue:

The PC was second hand when I bought it 3 years ago, and owned by a young lad, so I'm not sure if it's history is great. Plus I did have some malware on it last year (which is now all clean) so there's a fair chance that could have messed with the packages/registry. There are other issues - an empty Windows Features box being one, but I thought I'd start with the package files and updates first as this seems like the biggest problem, it's addressed by your repair tool  :smiley: and fixing them may hopefully also solve some of the other issues!

I have tried running the SURT, several times (one of the many things I've gone through to try and put my machine right again!), and it seemed to fix things the first couple of times, but I'm not sure it is any more - I've run it again anyway as there's no harm in trying if it makes your life easier, so please find the latest Pre-scan log attached and see what you think... :undecided:

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 11:03:25 AM »
Oh, and a further bit of info which might be of use - I did a bit of digging through the Pre-scan log and found that ALL of the missing package files relate to only FIVE MS updates!  :omg: (2633952, 2522422, 2656373, 2859903 & 2524375)

My thought was to try and uninstall the relevant KB's and then re-install them directly from the MS download, but when I went to find them on the Installed Updates list only ONE of them was there!  :shocked:

I downloaded all the KB's anyway but when I tried to install the 4 'missing' ones they all said that 'This update is already installed on your computer'!  :confused: So even though they're not on the list, the WUSI thinks that they Are, presumably due to some registry presence/corruption. I uninstalled the only 'present' one (2656373) and rebooted, then tried to re-install it again, and now it says that the update is not applicable to my computer! Help, hope I've not made matters any worse - I've done the Pre-scan again and checked it and it appears to be the same as the 2 I've already sent, so the package files are still missing for that one even though I've supposedly uninstalled it....  :blank:

Offline RubyBookwyrm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 06:54:55 PM »
This is similar to another problem I had where the presence of a un-updated version of a file prevented the updating of it (only makes sense to MS I guess), so I opened an elevated command prompt (right click on cmd.exe and Run as Administrator) then type the following lines:
net stop wuauserv
net stop BITS
cd %systemroot%/SoftwareDownload
ren Download Download.old
cd DataService
ren Dataservice.edb DataService.old
net start BITS
net start wuauserv

Then reboot TWICE, and run update.

Hopefully this will help.

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 05:24:06 AM »
Thanks Ruby.

I have tried this before, with little success, and also have a batch file with these commands in and several more which completely resets WU and re-registers all the dll's, and this hasn't worked either!  :rolleyes: I tried your suggestion again on the off-chance and once more it's had no visible effect on the WU process ie. same errors and lack of success.
On my machine it's "SoftwareDistribution" and "DataStore.edb" though rather than the SoftwareDownload and DataService you mentioned. This may well work on some systems, but mine's apparently too corrupted/screwed up for this to have any effect, never mind.  :sad:

Hopefully Shane or some other wiz will come back with something useful on the service packaging files replacement after the weekend hiatus...  :artist:

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 03:13:38 PM »
You can try using the cmd options to remove those updates, here is how to do it
http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/38624-uninstall-specific-windows-updates-via-cmd-or-batch-file-in-windows-7-8-and-server-2008-2012

Then once they are uninstalled you can try windows updates and see how it does. Might be a good idea to run the repair windows update sin my program after you uninstall those updates, that way windows updates starts fresh on its scan.

Shane

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 10:42:14 AM »
Ok Shane, so we're going to try removing the suspect updates rather than replacing the 'missing' package files, well it's certainly worth a go and presumably far easier!

Soooo, I gave it a whirl, and unfortunately it's made No difference!  :sad: I ran the removal commands individually in an elevated DOS prompt, then I combined them into a batch file and ran them again with admin rights - both ways finished Very quickly (within a second or two), so I'm not sure how much they were actually doing, given that none of the 5 updates are now showing in the Installed Updates list.

Then did a power reset and booted into (normal mode) windows again. Turned the firewall off, disabled my AV, ended any non-essential running processes and ran your (newly-released!) All in One Repair again. Pre-scan turned out exactly as before with all the many package files still appearing, carried on to the repair section and ran that - a few errors appeared on the grey command box while running so that wasn't a good omen  :rolleyes: then rebooted after completion and tried WU again once connected to the network. Same old error message - update required to WU which then gives 80073701 when Install Now is clicked.

So bottom line is - No change. I also tried re-running the removal commands again, this time without any switches to see what was happening, and all of them gave the same error code and message 'Element not found' - indicating that the update is not there to be removed.

I'm guessing we're going to have to remove some registry keys or such now, seeing as the suspect updates aren't installed any more and replacing any 'missing' files is going to be a waste of time? Whatever, let me know what's required and we'll take it from there, cheers....  :confused:
Tone

Online Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 02:23:46 PM »
From a couple of Google links regarding that WU error code, they suggest that SP1 hasn't been properly installed and downloading it again.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/install-windows-7-service-pack-1

While you say you have SP1 does it say that when you right click on Computer or My Computer then click on Properties ?

The final solution for WU Error 80073701 is either a repair install, reinstall or a factory reset.

If it will let you reinstall SP1 and that doesn't do it, check to see what a sfc /scannow now comes up with.

If it reports that it is unable to repair some files, you can copy & paste the CBS log from Notepad to the Reply box after executing this command -

findstr /c:"[SR]" Cannot %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log > 0 & notepad 0

If they mean a factory reset then I think you should consider that.

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 05:04:38 PM »
Hi Boggin - yes it does say Service Pack 1 on computer Properties, and looking down the Installed Updates list I can see a Service Pack (KB976932) installed on 23/04/12 - I presume this is SP1!? Although as we know, the fact that it's on the list doesn't necessarily mean that it's fully or properly installed!... :rolleyes:

I have come across this SP1 info before on my travels when looking up the error message and wondered about re-installing SP1, but don't really know what's involved or whether I'd need to uninstall and reinstall all the other Windows Updates since then as well  :thinking:

Also, I have considered a reset or repair install as well, but again I don't fully know what's involved or how to do it, or if it's really necessary. It would be my last resort I guess, if there's no alternative way to repair WU or Windows or SP1 while still in situ.

I'm still hoping Shane can come up with something to help - if not then I'd like to know the best way forward in a bit more detail, whether it be one of your suggestions or some other way....

Cheers

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 06:47:21 PM »
A repair install would be good to do, and it isnt hard, it is basically doing an upgrade to the same version.

here is how to do it :wink:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

You will need a Windows 7 disk that has SP1 already on it.

Shane

(About Shane)