Author Topic: prescan errors/ sfc cant run. no % progress  (Read 6365 times)

Offline adamsfam9494

• View Profile
prescan errors/ sfc cant run. no % progress
« on: May 03, 2015, 09:51:36 am »
very similar to previous post but more extensive, sfc will not run through, and now it says my copy of windows is counterfeit.  Repair from disk is not finding anything wrong says it boots successfully.  The upgrade  with the win 7 disk to fix files is not working because it says the copy is counterfeit.  IF I can fix the counterfeit then I could try the upgrade again.
I have no idea how to fix this and neither does microsoft.

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
Re: prescan errors/ sfc cant run. no % progress
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 10:08:08 am »
I've had this in the past - I believe it was due to either malware or a corrupt registry (or both!)

I managed to solve it by re-activating Windows using the 25-digit Microsoft activation number - do you have this? It should be on the System page of Control Panel, or can be extracted using Belarc Advisor if not. Once you have it you need to type slui.exe in the Run box and run this, entering the code when prompted.

Worked for me anyway, unless anyone has any other advice, hope this helps...  :smiley:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 01:47:15 pm »
You could try to recreate the Licensing Store with these commands in a Command Prompt run as an admin -

net stop sppsvc

CD %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform

REN tokens.dat tokens.bar

net start sppsv

slui.exe

After a couple of seconds the Windows Activation dialog will appear.

You may be asked to re-activate and/or re-enter your product key, or Activation may occur automatically.

If you are asked for your Key, use the one on the COA sticker on the machine's case

Reboot.

If the key isn't accepted then run this MS Fix it https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2230957

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 01:46:59 pm »
Yes the counterfeit thing is easy to trigger, windows stores the activation in a file and in the registry and when one of those gets messed up you get that message, but normally activaing again clears it up, other times it doesnt and after I run all my repairs it works well again. It all depends what is corrupt :-)

I am seeing more and more users with a lot of corrupt mum files and such and all of them seem to be traced to the cat database in windows, I am going to be digging into this more and see what I can come up with.

Shane