Author Topic: Virus, Malware & Rootkit Cleanup Links - Suggestion  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Alexstrasza

• View Profile
Virus, Malware & Rootkit Cleanup Links - Suggestion
« on: May 10, 2015, 09:37:45 AM »
Hi Shane,

I just read your Virus, Malware & Rootkit Cleanup Links while working with Windows Repair All-In-One, and I got a couple of suggestions that you will find useful.

1) Malware: SUPERAntiSpyware isn't very effective now - it's little more than a glorified cookie cleaner. Instead you can use Emsisoft Emergency Kit which is portable, features both AV and AM detection and is pretty good in general.

2) Removing ZeroAccess rootkit: This rootkit is pretty stubborn, so instead of trying to remove it yourself I suggest seeking help from an UNITE forum. The guide contains instructions to use ComboFix - which is a bad idea since most people do not have the training to fix problems should one arises from running CF unsupervised.

3) Removing rootkits in general: There are few of them in the wild now, and most are nasty critters - seek help instead of doing it yourself.

That's all I see for now - if anything comes later I'll be sure to drop by.

Regards,
Alex

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: Virus, Malware & Rootkit Cleanup Links - Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 07:40:58 PM »
As you have seen, while a program may be great now, it may not be later.

This has been the case with a LOT of the programs I use. I am constantly changing the programs I use to clean a system, and have gotten to the point that I can manually find an infection and remove it better than most of these programs because the programs only look for what they know, while I am able to see what is an infection based on a few things.

This is one of the major draw backs of auto programs.

So this page should be changing more and more, yet I keep forgetting about it because I am always busy with other things lol

It does need to be updated that is for sure. Currently I have stopped using malwarebytes, it simply isnt what it use to be since they got new programmers. The old programmer was way better.

I currently use tdsskiller, adwcleaner (One of the FEW that actually clean browser add ons which are getting worse) and combofix on non windows 8 systems. Still not sure why combofix still doesnt support 8 after all this time.

But even these have not been catching some of the new infections I have been cleaning off of customers computers. There simply isnt a such thing as a perfect program.

But for this page it does need to list the CURRENT best programs that will give a user the best chance at removing an infection.

So any and all suggestions are welcome as long as they are to good programs, preferably free ones :-)

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Alexstrasza

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 09:31:20 PM »
Hi Shane,

Apparently the developer of ComboFix states that he has no plans to support Windows 8.1 (and 10) for now. In my opinion it wasn't necessary, since there are other automated scanners that can do a pretty good job.

Talking about removing toolbars and other crap, there is thisisu's Junkware Removal Tool. It detects the same thing as AdwCleaner, except that it is a batch file that automatically removes whatever it found (I'm sure you know about this since he asked permission to use Registry Backup in it...?)

ESET Online Scanner is also a good choice if you need a free on-demand scanner.

Regards,
Alex

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 01:45:03 AM »
I need to give JRT a try, I havent used it yet, and yes I just seen that they added my registry backup. They asked if it was ok a while back and I tol them yes but never heard anything since lol

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

anything