Author Topic: Updating windows And controlling windows 10 Update  (Read 4863 times)

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Updating windows And controlling windows 10 Update
« on: September 24, 2015, 05:53:49 PM »
So I've been working awhile and tested this on multiple machines I left instruction in the zip file any issues let me know. It will create a log file that will be stored in the same location as the batch file. The PowerShell scripts in this zip folder I did not create but the batch file i did. the reason why I created the batch file was so the average user can use this very powerful powershell script with little to no knowledge of powershell.

now after downloading the zip file right click and select unblock because windows is very picky about things coming from another computer.

Any questions or need help post on this thread ill help you out :D
Edit2: i've uploaded a new version  it lets you choose the update sections.
Edit: you can pick and choose which update's to install. and yes this should work for all windows version's
It will not display hidden update's so if you have certain updates hidden they will still be hidden.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 04:18:04 PM by Julian »
Julian

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
Re: Updating windows And controlling windows 10 Update
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 02:45:29 AM »
Hi Julian. This looks interesting (& useful!!), is it for use on other OS's than W10? I have W7 & W8.1 machines and would like to try it on both as they both have intermittent problems updating. Also does it allow for picking and choosing which updates are installed as I have blocked (hiddden) certain W10-related updates for now as I don't wish to upgrade (& some .NET updates on my W7 machine that are not required).

I've read the instructions and bat file but there's no reference in those to which OS they apply to or whether updates will be allowed to be selected or will just update en masse, so I'd like to know before I kick it off and find it either doesn't work on my OS or installs something I'd prefer not to have.... :thinking:

Cheers, T

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 02:47:25 AM »
Hi Julian. This looks interesting (& useful!!), is it for use on other OS's than W10? I have W7 & W8.1 machines and would like to try it on both as they both have intermittent problems updating. Also does it allow for picking and choosing which updates are installed as I have blocked (hiddden) certain W10-related updates for now as I don't wish to upgrade (& some .NET updates on my W7 machine that are not required).

I've read the instructions and bat file but there's no reference in those to which OS they apply to or whether updates will be allowed to be selected or will just update en masse, so I'd like to know before I kick it off and find it either doesn't work on my OS or installs something I'd prefer not to have.... :thinking:

Cheers, T
should work on all them dunno about xp maybe actually and yes you can pick and choose which updates.
Julian

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 02:51:17 AM »
Great, thanks, I'll try it on both then and see how it goes.....   :wink: :artist:

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 02:56:19 AM »
any issues show me the log it should have a start log then it will show the update's as you install them then it will give you and endlog
if you see red letters flash for a second let me know i can help fix that.
Great, thanks, I'll try it on both then and see how it goes.....   :wink: :artist:
Julian

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 09:42:52 AM »
Hmmm, well I've just run it on my W8.1 laptop and it seems to have worked ok  :artist: I selected the first 3 of the 31 updates that showed, skipped the rest by saying No to all, and those 3 all look to have installed correctly after a reboot. Didn't watch it the whole way through so I don't know if it had any red flashes or not (and haven't checked or looked for any logs), and even shut the lid and took it to work with me, but it looks to have done it's thing okay, even with my interfering!  :tongue:

The only real issue I have with it is that there is no distinction between the updates as to which are "important", "recommended", or just "optional". With the WU control panel GUI I tend to leave the optional ones off and just install the important ones, so ironically as each update KB came up in the PowerShell window, I then had to refer to the Windows control panel list to see whether I wanted to install it or not!  :omg: ha, though I don't suppose it's a bad thing to check, just wondered if there was any way of just listing the important ones, or making a distinction between them if they all have to be shown?

Also, as an aside, and just for my own reference, what's the difference between PowerShell and the trusty old (DOS) command prompt? I haven't looked into it any depth, but I presume there's some advantage to be gained using one over the other, and you seem to know what you're doing with them..  :thinking:

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 02:36:36 PM »
see the thing is downloading via cmd is pretty much impossible you can't download via http:// protocol with cmd via power shell you can with bit-transfer 
thanks for the idea im going to look into different parameters ;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 02:43:37 PM by Julian »
Julian

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 02:52:46 PM »
alright so i found a way give me like 2 hours but i will make it to where it will have a switch and you can choose critical sercurity drivers etc...
Julian

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 04:18:31 PM »
there i uploaded check it out let me know.
Julian

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 03:45:09 AM »
Ok, thanks for the explanation. Where's the new upload? Is it the same one as on your first post on the thread? And do I have to do the same extraction procedure with it?

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 04:59:52 AM »
Yes it's on the same folder and you just need the bat file that's all I updated.
Julian

anything