Author Topic: (SOLVED) Win10 apps dead after running Windows Repair  (Read 25962 times)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: Win10 apps dead after running Windows Repair
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 05:45:44 PM »
Ok I tested it and yes it does break. You will see I get the same results.

Then I ran the full reset repair on it and most of the apps reinstalled fine. But a few failed including the store.

So checking the event log and errors the powershell command that calls windows to reinstall the apps is not correct. It is pointing to folders to older versions that are not there any more.

For each app that failed I checked and you will see in the screen shot the folders where missing. Looks like this is a bug in the newest version of windows build or a bug in the new app version for the ones that failed.

The paths to use to reinstall the apps are kept in the registry, but they are only pointing to old versions. The updated versions are not in there.

So I am going to see if I can manually add those correct paths to the proper versions and then see if the powershell command will install them correctly. Either that or I just run the powershell command to the folders themselves instead of having it look in the registry for the paths.

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 05:51:26 PM »
Yeap thats what it is.

Here is a screen shot of the registry location that the powershell command looks at to know what apps to reinstall. Notice it only has the one windows store version but from the earlier screen shot that folder isnt there and only the newer version is. So it never even runs the install on the newer versions since they are not in the registry.

So now I am manually going to add those missing ones to the registry location and rerun the powershell command and see if it installs them.

Shane

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 07:02:30 PM »
Holy Freaking Windows Bug Batman!!

So guess what is causing all of this. The actual powershell command

"Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml}"

So I looked at the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" folder from the copy of windows 10 I had in vmware, it had 97 folders including all the ones that where missing. So I copied them all back over. Then simply ran the powershell command "Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml}"

Then I watched, soon the errors started showing up and I watched as the folders where deleted, it removed 12 folders all together and basically each one it had an error on it then deleted the folder. This is a huge bug in windows or the powershell command. I dont know if it is something in powershell or something in the xml files they added in the new app versions, but that powershell command is now very bad to use, but it is the only one I am aware off that would reinstall all the default apps in 8 and 10.

Not sure what to do about this, this isnt a bug in my program, this is a bug in the newest build of Windows.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline rop

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 07:09:18 PM »
Awright, confirms what I've been doing for a few days :) Registering is f up ...
What about the localization factor, any chance it has to do something with that ? Cortana would not work unless you assign the same language everywhere, I run an english w10 with some french keyboard region, so does that matter ?
On top of this windows store is not working anymore, any idea ?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 07:10:06 PM »
Ok here are some screen shots to show it in action and that it isnt my program.

The first screen shot before.png shows all the 97 folders put back.

The during.png shows the command running from powershell and not my program and you can see the number of items has already started to drop.

The last picture, after.png shows the items went down to 78 and shows one of the needed windows stores folders for installing it is gone.

This is the only known way of reinstalling apps that I am aware of, so this is a big deal that MS has broken this.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 07:12:47 PM »
Awright, confirms what I've been doing for a few days :) Registering is f up ...
What about the localization factor, any chance it has to do something with that ? Cortana would not work unless you assign the same language everywhere, I run an english w10 with some french keyboard region, so does that matter ?
On top of this windows store is not working anymore, any idea ?

The store is dead after running the powershell command, I havent tried putting the folders back and running the command directly on the folder. But the fact that it is deleteing the files means there is no way to reinstall the apps back, it isnt suppose to be doing that. So besides getting the files from another install I dont have an answer as this bug was never in the older windows 10 and this is something that is only a few days old. I wonder if MS is even aware of it yet.

It doesnt look like it has anything to do with the system as I am doing this in vmware with everything English.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2015, 08:13:45 PM »
Ok I am going to make an update and release it first thing in the morning. I am going to have the program check for the current build of Windows 10 and have it auto skip the repair app store repairs until this bug is fixed on microsofts side.

From the looks of it the app install thinks a newer version of those apps are install when there isnt and so deletes them. So it might be a bug in the apps themselves, not sure yet, but till then I cant have people thinking my program did it lol

Look for 3.6.5 to be release din the morning.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline KingHawk

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2015, 11:09:18 AM »
Alright thanks a lot you figured out everything already :O. In the meanwhile I've done a reinstall of Win10 Threshold 2 and tried to minimize getting errors once again but there will always be errors it seems :)
Great it'll get a update to prevent this in the future so nobody will get our problem when they're trying to fix Win10 ^^

I did actually run WR after the clean install of Threshold 2 because there was apps with errors already but WR fixed it while keeping the stuff that caused our trouble unmarked, neither did I need to reset them anyway.

Looks like Windows 10 still needs tons of bug fixes, just like this bug I reported which is still not fixed in Threshold 2 luckily it has a temp workaround
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/documents-folder-multiplying-in-navigation-pane/a2777e7d-0e7f-45e0-821a-ad1250246de8
But I wonder if Microsoft is even aware of bugs we report here...

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: (SOLVED) Win10 apps dead after running Windows Repair
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 10:22:35 PM »
I dont think my little corner of the net has anyones interest over at Microsoft lol

But all I know is, that after each update they do all I have to do is run that powershell command and see if it continues to kill the apps. Once it doesn't I will re-enable it in the program.

Thankfully by having windows 10 in vmware I can just copy the image to run the test on and I wont have to reinstall anything :-)

I know 10 isnt going anywhere and the OS with the app store is here to stay, but I wont be switching from windows 7 for at least the first year so they have time to get these bugs worked out. MS has to many programmers, to many fingers in the pot and released an OS that wanst finished. So I will give it time before I switch to it.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline KingHawk

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2015, 01:42:25 PM »
Yeah I know they wont see this ^^ but I mean the answers.microsoft.com which they don't seem to notice too. Maybe the only thing they check is the Feedback tool.

For me Windows 10 atm sure is faster and has nice new features I actually wanted and use but is surprisingly instable compared to the Windows 8 release.

Btw thx for the fast help and great software I've bought the full version, I'm sure it'll be of great help.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 02:05:13 PM by KingHawk »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 08:29:47 PM »
I will keep testing the powershell command as all the updates on 10 keep flowing in. Its a rather large bug so I am sure they will get it fixed at some point. Once it is I will update the program again :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Richvideo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2015, 09:40:43 PM »
Hi, has MS provided a fix/patch for this issue yet so that the repair tool will work again?
Thanks in advance for your time

Offline theblackhole

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 07:19:55 AM »
Hello,

anyone knows if switching to Insider builds solves the problem and if it worth it ?
I'm maybe pessimistic but I think MS won't solve this issue until the next upgrade (and it may come in June if I remember)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2016, 09:57:23 AM »
Shane is in the process of testing an update to WR to keep abreast of the latest updates as well as checking to see if MS has resolved this.

When it is ready for release, whether they have or not may be included in the release notes.

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 12:37:01 AM »
Okay so i'm gonna load up my vm i think they released a fast ring earlier so i'm gonna see if they fixed it.
Julian

anything