Author Topic: Successful backup confirmation a helpful addition to Registry Backup?  (Read 2330 times)

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
I love this product and Windows Repair as well - I used Erunt for many years but never had to perform a full registry restore so never tested it fully, but shortly after installing this as part of WR Pro on one of my PCs, Windows failed to launch and a system restore failed. I was able to get into Safe Mode and restore the registry from Registry Backup and back in business. I ran WR in safe mode and found a few problems which the program corrected and all seems sweetness and light now......

My only concern with RB is that, when I have it set to run at Windows Startup automatically, I'd really like some reassurance that the backup has run successfully and whether VSS or the fallback method has been used. At the moment I have a shortcut on my desktop to the RegBackup folder and I can examine the log files to make sure everything has run as planned, but perhaps the option of a pop up like I get when I use my favourite Casper 8.0 hard drive backup software which tells me that the backup has been successful would be helpful? Ideally I'd like to see something like "Registry Backup Successful using VSS" or "Registry Backup Successful using Fallback Method" as appropriate.

Thanks again for making my life easier with some great products,

Iain
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 10:35:59 PM by Still_Game »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: Successful backup confirmation a helpful addition to Registry Backup?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 01:59:07 AM »
When you have the program run at startup it runs and then closes, it does keep a log with each backup and it will show a window that there was an error if the backup has any errors :-)

In the files folder with RB you will see "Backup_Failed_Message.exe" that is ran when there is an error in any backup that is done.

I am also going to be redoing the entire restore process in RB as some users have reported the APIs I use in Windows are not playing nice with windows 10 and permissions not being restored. So once I can find the time and things slow down a little for me I will be working on that, I would have had it done already but my computer repair business has been slammed and I have been working like crazy!

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
Re: Successful backup confirmation a helpful addition to Registry Backup?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 02:29:37 AM »
Thanks Shane,

Glad you're so busy, don't overdo it!  Thanks for explaining the process, the program has worked well for me as is so my suggestions were no more than suggestions. I won't be taking the Windows 10 route until forced to when I next have to buy a computer - W7 does everything I need.

Thanks again for some great software,

Iain