Author Topic: Repairing broken apps in Windows 10 Bug.  (Read 18992 times)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: Repairing broken apps in Windows 10 Bug.
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 11:44:24 AM »
So far it still isnt fixed even at the end of Feb. Makes me wonder if MS knows about it or if they dont care or if it was on purpose.

I do know that the command only does it to certain apps, not all of them. So i am wondering if I could still use the command but have it skip the ones that it fails on. That would make it to where at least the apps that dont break could still be reinstalled and fixed.

Also the fact that it doesnt do it to some apps and only to certain ones makes me think it has something to do with the install file for them and perhaps a new command that was added or a command that powershell or the app installer is taking wrong.

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline kevinclarke

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 12:24:32 PM »
Hi Shane,

Thanks for your reply. I seem to have gotten my start button back with the Apps listing more or less ok, although not all are back and in particular my App Store button is missing which means I can't re-add the missing apps. I guess this is all related to the same problem? You would think/hope MS are aware of these issues and have a fix planned in another build.

Regards
Kevin

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 02:44:57 PM »
for start menu only this command should fix it
Code: [Select]
Get-appxpackage -all shellexperience -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + \appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml)}
Julian

Offline kevinclarke

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 10:08:59 AM »
Hi Julian,

Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the command did not fix it. I've now had to do a refresh of the system, but use the save data option. This obviously removed all apps but kept my data intact. It solved the problem as the apps returned to normal.

I see their has just been a new update for W10. I assume MS did not add any fix for this issue in this update? I found it difficult to decide from their notes exactly what it does fix although it mentioned some app issues were resolved.

Many thanks to all for your help and comments

Regards
Kevin

Offline Kaycontinental

• View Profile
    • Learn English Now
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 10:29:29 AM »
I am sorry, I know I am in the wrong place, but I could not find where to start a new topic.
I am using Windows 10 and every time I get an update, it changes all my default apps (every few days).  I have done a back-up of them, but it doesn't help.

Also, I have a couple of folders which will not delete.
The first one, when I try to uninstall it from Programmes and Features it tells me that:
"A network resource is unavailable.  Click to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'SyncMS164.msi' in the box below.  C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{4F34863D-3EC2-4623-9D5F-545A81B25AF1}v4.0.6634.0\"

Then I get:  "C:\ProgramData\Package Cache cannot be found.  Verify that you have access etc."

The other is uninstalled but remains in ProgramData and when I right click to delete it, I get:
"C:\ ------- is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure that the device or drive is connected etc."

And then:  "You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder."

Please help, I am at my wits end.  I ran Windows 7 for years and never had a single problem !!!!   :cry:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 01:39:36 PM by Boggin »

Offline Kaycontinental

• View Profile
    • Learn English Now
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2016, 02:44:50 AM »
Hi there Boggin.
Many thanks for the reply.  I had already uninstalled the programs (your second link was the most relevant) but they remained on my pc and wouldn't go away.  I had the same problem with an icon from Box Sync.  It was definitely a Win 10 problem.  I spent the whole of yesterday working on this, to no avail.

So, I eventually gave up and had to go for a complete re-set.  In the last 16 years that I have been working on my computer 6 to 8 hours a day for 6 days a week, I have never had a crash, nor had to rely on my back-up for anything -  but in the last 8 months with Windows 10 I have had to do 2 complete re-sets...  Can you believe this?

Thanks again for your help.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2016, 02:54:14 AM »
Hi, Key why would not use revo uninstaller free and there is an option to fire it. I do not remember , but if you open that a fire ball would be there at the right top. Just drag those adamant files , whatever the permission level, and put those in the fire, revo will eat it and you do not have any problem with those programs. A lovely free program of uninstalling stubborn exes
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Kaycontinental

• View Profile
    • Learn English Now
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2016, 03:04:44 AM »
Hey, thanks for the reply Jraju, but believe me, I tried all the options before posting on here. 
Tweaking.com was my last option (and I ran that several times). 
I have used Revo Uninstaller for years. I even downloaded a third party app called Unlocker - but that didn't work either.

My problem was that I had already uninstalled the programs, but the icons remained and when I tried to delete them, Windows told me that the programs were no longer on my computer. 
They weren't in Program Files, one was in ProgramData (but would not delete), the other wasn't - and I couldn't even find either of them in the Register...

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 06:57:56 AM »
As you've already done a reset then it's probably too late for this now, but I've found FeeFixer to be an invaluable program for removing otherwise unreachable remnants.

http://www.freefixer.com/

It may also find other items that you may consider removing, but if you are unsure then click on the More info link for details of what the file could be.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 07:04:45 AM by Boggin »

Offline Kaycontinental

• View Profile
    • Learn English Now
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016, 12:29:54 AM »
Thanks again Boggin.
I have made a note of that program, just in case.  Who knows, it may come in handy some time, lol.

Offline clayto

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2016, 03:47:07 PM »
There is a detailed fix for the November update bug (which trashes the Store and many apps). It does not require a re-install, but some effort, although the explanation in a nine page article is clear (even for me), with step by step instructions for each app. It does work, I had restored a handful of apps with the author's help when I had to do a re-install, so I no longer need to work through it all. For others who still need it here is the Link:

http://www.techtantri.com/windows-10-apps-not-working-download-apps-folder/

Good luck!

Offline Kaycontinental

• View Profile
    • Learn English Now
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2016, 01:22:36 AM »
Many thanks Clayto.  I have made a note of the url. 
I did a complete re-install of Windows 10 and at the moment all seems to be working well. Fingers crossed that I have no more problems.
However, it is always useful to keep these 'pages' handy just in case.   :wink:

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2016, 09:00:18 AM »
Maybe Microsoft has fixed it in the next big update that is to come out this summer and it is free. The just pushed a preview version of it to slow ring for testing. I just hope their is no big problems when it comes out and users have trouble installing the update.

http://www.geek.com/news/windows-10-anniversary-update-arrives-this-summer-with-loads-of-tweaks-1651099/
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 09:29:15 AM by parkd1 »

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2016, 11:13:58 PM »
in windows 10 Version 10.0.10586.318 the Powershell command works!!! Finally Microsoft fixed it! So that means the next version of windows repair will have it back on  :cheesy:
Julian

anything