Author Topic: IE work-around for Google - Compatibility View  (Read 3993 times)

Offline GLykos

• View Profile
IE work-around for Google - Compatibility View
« on: January 27, 2016, 10:00:04 PM »
Am on IE 9 due to still on Vista, started encountering crazy Google search webpage behavior some weeks (?) back.  Attempted to run WR IE repair to see if it helped, but a junction problem in my NTFS appears to have prevented it from executing.

While resolving the junction issue is on a back burner, chased after the search page issue (again) and finally discovered a useful discussion about the problem: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/websearch/S0V3xNkjFEI/discussion.

Turns out that it's not just IE 9 that's affected but most/perhaps all of the IE's.  Google's current webpage has some sort of issue, perhaps in its interaction with Java JRE.  Of the various work-arounds mentioned in the discussion, the one I found to be immediately helpful, integrating seamlessly with normal operation while not involving peripheral software settings, is the one adding google.com to to IE's Compatibility View Settings.  It causes Google to run as an earlier version described as the "black bar" search window (due to one being displayed across the top of the page).

This being the case, assume but can't (yet) verify that WR IE repair won't fix the Google search page issue, seemingly not an IE issue per se.

Regards.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: IE work-around for Google - Compatibility View
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 03:48:21 AM »
I use IE11 in Win 7 and have www.google.co.uk as my home page and haven't had any problems using the general search box, but as the article that you have linked says it doesn't affect all then it may be computer specific.

Have you tried running IE without add-ons ?

I have Bing as my Default Search provider in Manage add-ons but still get Google's suggested links, so don't know how that comes about - but as long as it works....

Offline GLykos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 10:05:19 AM »
Yes, if you're not using the Google search page, you won't see the problem.  I use Google as my IE search engine and my start-up screen.  Seems a lot of people do use the Google search page.  There are numerous postings with threads elsewhere from people experiencing the same problem but this was the first useful discussion I found.

The problem manifests itself as allowing initial user input into a data entry port on the page, then refusing to accept any more;  scroll down on the search page, click a selection, and the page jumps back to the top.

The problem appears to be with the current Google search page, or in its interaction with Java, as accessed via IE and has existed for some months at this point.  For me, while I could awkwardly (for me) go to another browser to avoid the problem, having a work-around that allows using Google search in IE is very much appreciated.  The article includes a link to go directly from a browser to the previous black-bar Google search page to see what this is about.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:39:37 AM by GLykos »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 10:26:47 AM »
Even having Bing as the default search provider, the page still comes up as Google -

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hwmonitor