Author Topic: Windows 10 upgrade, 10 tries, 10 fails  (Read 12986 times)

Offline GussNemo

• View Profile
Re: Windows 10 upgrade, 10 tries, 10 fails
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 01:11:10 PM »
Hi Boggin,

Yes, I read about using the COA to activate Windows 10.  Again, unless that's changed, people have been running into problems going this route; according to what I've read.  It's supposed to work that way, but many have found their COA isn't recognized when imputed.

Upgrade through updater and supposedly everything will work fine.  Use the other ways provided by MS and it doesn't.  If they're offering upgrades for free, and several ways to upgrade, why in the world is only one way problem free--supposedly?  Something tells me the upper tier of managers didn't think this whole upgrade thing through to it's logical conclusion.

But leave it to users to figure out how to get thing to work as they should.  It is, after all, how the whole computer era started.
Lemons are great, with a bit of sugar.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 02:38:27 AM »
I assume that you do have sufficient free space on the HDD - it's reckoned you need at least 20GB free.

Offline GussNemo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 05:06:05 PM »
Hi Boggin,

Ummm, yeah, I think 377 GB is room enough to install Windows 10.

Today I tried again, the 17th, 18th, 19th, and 20th attempts.  And each one failed.  And, the AV was uninstalled each time.  On the 20th attempt I set the upgrade scheduler to 5 PM and let it run, still failed.

I've eliminated all peripherals; eliminated the AV; chkdsk and sfc /scan now found nothing; drivers are up to date; BIOS is up to date; last run of WR found no environmental, just documents links; MiniToolKit fixed Backup and Restore problem; Silverlight was uninstalled and reinstalled--per a post I read; several MS Fixits were run; several MS Troubleshooters were run; I've run Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool which found nothing wrong--though I've read it isn't the best for testing RAM; and after each failed attempt both the error message on the blue screen and on the update window are the same: System Thread Exception Not Handled; Windows update encountered an unknown error: c1900101-30018.

I've not tried using the Media Creation Tool because I haven't researched how to use it and get back to my current version of windows should this also fail.  I've not done a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit, something that will have to be the very last resort.  I've not tested the RAM modules using memsysx86--I think it's called.  But I'd think if one of the RAM modules were having trouble I'd have more system or application problems.  And I'm not.

When the upgrade fails, and the blue screen appears, a message says information is being gathered.  What information would that be and is it being sent to MS or stored on my system in a Windows log?  There is a Windows.log in the SoftwareDistribution folder but it's Greek to me.

I think I'll go to MS forum and leave a message about the problems I'm having, just to see what responses I get.  I'm guessing the responses will be nothing more that what I've already seen for others.

I can also try and find a business nearby who can test my system to see if there are hardware problems not being picked up by the software I've already run.  If I can't find a business, or get a reasonable answer as to why the upgrade is failing, I'll just have to stick with Windows 7 Ultimate.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 12:33:27 AM »
You mention that you get the error message on a blue screen - is this a Windows screen or a BSOD ?

If it's a BSOD and created a memory dump file, then BlueScreenView will be able to analyse that for you.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

I don't know if you've come across this article in your previous searches, but it has a link for a MS Hotfix that would be emailed to you, although the error code differs but like the -30018 error code, System Thread Exception can have a number of causes - which is the problem with MS - they have that many errors that they seem to have bundled sections with the same error message.

http://www.deskdecode.com/how-to-fix-system-thread-exception-not-handled-0x0000007e/

Offline GussNemo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 12:16:42 PM »
Hi Boggin,

When Windows 10 upgrade gets to 32% total installation and 6% of installing features and drivers, it stops and a blue screen appears saying my PC has encountered an error and information is being collected.  The error message "System Thread Exception Not Handled" appears right below the above message and then the computer reboots.  The upgrade then tries to recover the installation process and when it can't, a message appears saying "restoring your version of Windows."  From what I've read, this isn't the real BSOD which totally locks up a system.  This blue screen seems to be part of the error handling process of the upgrade.

Throwing out error messages without detailed information is really stupid, IMHO.  It leads to what I'm doing right now, hunting and pecking to try and find out why the Windows 10 upgrade always fails at the same place.  Had I years of experience, and tons of diagnostic programs to fall back on, maybe these generic error message not be so confusing.  As I've said before, I've nothing to lose in trying another diagnostic program.  Who knows, maybe it will be the one which unlocks the problem.

Hotfix is one of those MS programs I have already installed.  I can't remember exactly how I found it but it's installed.  And, as with everything else I tried, it did nothing to fix whatever problem stops Windows 10 from installing.

I looked at the Deskdecode site, and many of the things there I've done or I'm not seeing the errors codes it mentions.  As with one post suggesting to reinstall Windows 7, using the Windows 7 installation is another one of those last resort things to try.  I'll do more research on how to use the installation disk to repair the system before I give it a go.

As I said in a previous post, I've eliminated so many things that it's becoming harder to know what to eliminate next; short of just starting over and reloading everything from a backup file.  For now, I'll go ahead and run the blue screen view and see if it can find the information that's collected before the system reboots and restores my version of windows.

Of course, a baseball bat sitting by the computer might make the Windows 10 upgrade change its mind about stopping.  :thinking:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 02:36:29 PM »
You can use this tutorial to repair install Win 7 - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

If you have problems using a Win 7 install disk that doesn't include SP1 then you may have to uninstall SP1 from Installed Updates.

You can back up the drivers folders from C:\Windows\Syystem32

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 01:22:31 AM »
so it's giving the bsod during the driver install... can you list all the hardware in your computer?
Julian

Offline GussNemo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2016, 09:59:20 PM »
Hi Boggin,

Yes, I did read your second post about doing a clean install.  But I've read posts which have stated the clean install of Windows 10 will be considered by MS as an INSTALL and will then not be free.  Going this route will require the user to buy the Windows 10 key from MS.  The second option under this method is the upgrade, which is then considered free.

I've stepped back from trying to upgrade my system, for a few days, in order to give my post on the MS community a chance to get results.  A gentleman there has been asking for information, but so far hasn't offered any suggestions how to pin point the main problem.  My next attempt to upgrade my system will be by using an ISO file, I just need to research how one is created and used.  Which I haven't done yet.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2016, 04:50:00 AM »
From this article, it would seem you are correct in that there may be activation problems - http://www.thewindowsclub.com/clean-install-or-upgrade-to-windows-10-using-windows-10-iso

Have you considered contacting MS Support for advice on a clean install without using the upgrade option regarding activation using your COA sticker key ?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers/en-gb#u

Offline GussNemo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2016, 08:48:26 AM »
Hi Boggin,

That first link may come in handy when I get back trying to upgrade my system, that page has useful information.  I've read the notice before about doing an upgrade then clean install, since after the upgrade the product key is stored on the MS server and a clean install would be no problem.

No, I haven't considered contacting MS for help on a clean install without using the upgrade option.  After reading other articles, going this route would be the same as waiting until the free upgrade expires and buying Windows 10.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2016, 01:21:14 PM »
Well, if you can't get the upgrade to work then the only other option is a clean install in lieu.

This is the argument I propose you put to MS as you have a version of Windows that qualifies for the free upgrade, but for some reason, won't.

If you don't ask then you don't get - although that doesn't always work either :(

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2016, 02:04:25 PM »
This article looks like it could help when doing a clean install by allowing you to change the product key to your COA sticker key.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7209-product-key-change-windows-10-a.html

However, on going back through your thread, if there is some compatibility problem with Win 10 drivers and your computer, then you could be asking for trouble by forcing an install.

I suggest you go to your computer support site and check they have Win 10 compatible drivers for all of your devices, or contact your computer support and ask if your machine is Win 10 compatible and if not - why.

Offline GussNemo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2016, 08:23:19 PM »
Hi Boggin,

My son put my system together, so there isn't a company to check for drivers.  I have, however, updated drivers for just about everything that had a driver installed when the component was installed.  I realized I hadn't updated the driver for the DVD drive, but have it downloaded and will install it when I can.

One of the very first things I did when upgrading to Windows 10, was to run the check my statue by right clicking on the Get Windows icon.  I don't know how reliable its testing is, but it didn't indicate there were any problems upgrading my system to Windows 10.

I see also that Media Creation Tool also checks to make sure the components of the system are compatible with Windows 10.  It will be interesting to see what it says once I take the time and try installing Windows 10 by this method.  Maybe it will catch something the other checker missed.

If going the Media Creation Tool method to upgrade my system fails, then I use it again only for downloading the ISO image.  I just hope if either one fails I end up with my system back to Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2016, 02:09:08 AM »
Creating a system image onto external media is always a must before upgrading an OS and you will have your Win 7 install disk to boot up with to restore with the system image.

A word of caution though, prior to the upgrade whichever way you do it, boot up into the BIOS and permanently change the boot order to CD/DVD and USB before the HDD, as those keys may not work after the upgrade because of the speed Win 10 boots up.

I've never done a clean install so not sure if a Win 10 clean install would baulk but because you are doing it outside of Windows then I can't see why it shouldn't take.

If you have to go the ISO route then the article I've posted to change the product key should negate the need to buy a Win 10 licence.

Offline GussNemo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2016, 03:35:47 PM »
Hi Boggin,

Tried a couple more times to upgrade my system, both failed.

The first, or really 24th, try was with all peripherals disconnected before the system booted.  Upgrade still failed.

Second try, or 25th attempt, I tried using the Media Creation Tool.  I ran into an error that had to do with the files already in the SoftwareDistribution\Download folder.  Googling that I found out those the entire name could be renamed to .old and when that was done the Creation Tool went about its merry way.

HOWEVER...the upgrade still failed.  I got the two usual messages, mentioned in my original post, but another one after I logged onto the system.  The upgrade failed during the First_Boot Phase with error during SYSPREP operation.  What all this means is Greek to me.

I'm not even going to try the ISO route if the Media Creation Tool route failed.  I'll add this new error message to my post on MS and see if I get a bite.  I doubt I will but there is always hope.

anything