Author Topic: > nul in DOS windows wait for [ Enter ] key  (Read 5590 times)

Offline peterblaise

• View Profile
> nul in DOS windows wait for [ Enter ] key
« on: February 12, 2016, 11:47:55 pm »
> nul in DOS windows wait for [ Enter ] key

I have two modern Windows 8.1 machines ( multicore, 16 GB ram, lots of drive space ), one works repairs smoothly, the DOS boxes either never show up as it progresses, or they show up, run zippy through their stuff, and close -- also will successfully reboot to safe mode for repairs.

The other computer sits at the DOS box and waits, I click in the box, hit [ Enter ], and it moves a step forward, sometimes I have to keep responding to a series of > NUL's, sometimes it finishes on it's own and closes the DOS box, but the next DOS box requires the same babysitting ... through 47 repairs!  Also will not successfully reboot to safe mode so I'm doing repairs in virtual / real mode.

Repeated these symptoms over months with 3.4 through 3.8, same behavior.

Anyone see this before?

What dd you do?

Thanks.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: > nul in DOS windows wait for [ Enter ] key
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 12:22:45 pm »
I have two modern Windows 8.1 machines ( multicore, 16 GB ram, lots of drive space ), one works repairs smoothly, the DOS boxes either never show up as it progresses, or they show up, run zippy through their stuff, and close -- also will successfully reboot to safe mode for repairs.

Are you talking about running all the repairs or the command to reboot into safe mode? Are you making sure to run the repairs in safe mode?

The other computer sits at the DOS box and waits, I click in the box, hit [ Enter ], and it moves a step forward, sometimes I have to keep responding to a series of > NUL's, sometimes it finishes on it's own and closes the DOS box, but the next DOS box requires the same babysitting ... through 47 repairs!  Also will not successfully reboot to safe mode so I'm doing repairs in virtual / real mode.

Command windows, or DOS boxes, can be paused. So if a box is open and it is running something and I click in it then it will pause it, this is known as quick edit mode. i have to hit enter to have it go again.
From the sounds of it, you have something that is causing the command window to pause after every new line.

I am not aware of any command or option that does that. I wonder if there is a 3rd party program that might be doing it?

Shane