Author Topic: Windows Word: problem inserting images into text  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Cicero88

• View Profile
Windows Word: problem inserting images into text
« on: February 27, 2016, 02:57:15 AM »
I'm a die hard  XP user & think B. Gates has ripped enough people off. Using Word [Office 2000 Pro disk inserted to avoid loading entire disk onto HD ]. My HD has less than 10% memory avail. I'm no tech & can shoot myself in the foot. I used to be able to select an image of any size & copy it to a Word document. Now I get window mess. " There is not enough memory ...close other prog.etc. " or after I 'copy it to document I just get an empty box on page. I'm an artist & designer & use images constantly, this is complete mind screw. I had one tech add extra memory with hard drive board from another of my PCs. It doesn't appear to have worked. I run a number of diff. cleaners regularly [ CC Cleaner, Adv. Syst.Care, Smart Defrag., Iobit Malware Fighter, Defraggler, Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro, etc. ].

Anybody have any ideas ? I mainly just want easy transfer of images...  Thx,   Cicero88

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
Re: Windows Word: problem inserting images into text
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 06:13:34 AM »
If you regularly handle large images you are making life very hard for yourself if your hard drive has less than 10% free space. I would certainly recommend you buy a bigger replacement hard drive. And you need as much RAM as you can, although I believe XP is limited to 4 Gb with only about 3.25 Gb being available to Windows. How much RAM do you have installed? And what's the size of your hard drive?

Online Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Word: problem inserting images into text
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 09:58:13 AM »
XP x32bit is limited to 4GB but the 64bit version can take up to 128GB, although the limitations of the motherboard will determine how much of that you can upgrade to.

ASC is a program I would advise getting rid of, not least because that will be running in the background.

I don't know why you need two 3rd party Defrag programs either, when Windows own is adequate.

You can free up some memory by using your msconfig to disable the Startup items. http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_xp.html

I have every start up item disabled in there on my Win 7 x64 and I have 8GB RAM installed - I've also vetted some of the non-MS services under the Services tab.

10% does sound a bit low, although I've known a Win 7 machine to function on 11%

Have you been able to defrag your HDD with just 10% free ?

If Hibernate is a function on your computer and you don't use it, you can turn that off which will free up some more GBs on the HDD - it frees up 6GB on my Win 7 laptop.

The Command Prompt for that is powercfg -h off