Author Topic: help with window package files  (Read 13635 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: help with window package files
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 03:51:10 AM »
A System Repair Disk is handy if you can't boot into the advanced boot options, but may be needed when restoring with an image from an external HDD to navigate to the Recovery Environment to use the option restore from an image I created earlier.

Creating an external system image is a safeguard in case the factory reset goes awry, but you will still need to back up your personal stuff prior to a factory reset, so you will need some external media.

I use external HDDs for images now, but the little personal stuff that I have, I back up onto a suitably sized Flash stick.

Any 3rd party programs will need to be reinstalled, so check that you have the product keys for any paid for ones.

I usually make a list of the ones I need to reinstall then leave the Windows Updates to download and install overnight once they have been offered.

With a laptop you would need to change the power settings to never switch off on AC if you don't already have them set that way and High performance would be preferable.

There'll be no need for a repair install after the factory reset.

How did the chkdsk x: /f go ?

Offline icarus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 03:28:47 PM »
the chkdisk went ok it found no kb in bad sectors but i ran a diagnostic test from the bios. the hard disk test failed. It gave me a error code.
hard  disk test
hard disk smart check-passed
hard disk short DST-failed

someone told me on the hp forum it would not boot up sooner or later.  when you say the factory reset "goes awry" you mean if it doesn't work then i would need to try and recover from it ? especially if my restore points disappear

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 03:55:22 PM »
Just using a laptop, I don't have any BIOS HDD checks so I will use a program like the trial version of HDSentinel - while it has various sections, it will give you a written report on all connected HDDs.

Hit the green button http://www.hdsentinel.com/

The DST short test fail result can be generated by corruption of 3rd party programs and as the chkdsk and S.M.A.R.T. came back clean, I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to change the HDD - see what HDSentinel says.

If there is corruption in the recovery partition, that could screw up the factory reset, so having a system image to fall back on would at least give you something.

You would of course then need an OEM Recovery disk.

Offline icarus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 05:48:00 PM »
i didn't want to run any additional test before i could read the help section on how to run them and the dangers but the main window showed this

performance 100% Excellent
health 78%             Good

there are 5 weak sectors found on the disk surface. They may be remapped at any time in the later use of the disk 22604 errors occurred during data transfer. i attached a picture

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 01:38:35 AM »
So it could well be on a downward spiral and gives approx. another 16 months lifespan.

It once reported similar for my HDD but a chkdsk /f also reported 18 KBs in bad sectors.

I don't know what made me do it but I restored with a system image and then re-ran the tests and everything came back up clean again.

I can't explain why as hardware trumps software, so it could well have been some form of file corruption that was generating the failing reports I initially got.

If you don't have a system image that you can restore with, how far do your restore points go back.

I'm not saying this could be it for you, but double checking can't hurt and using your oldest restore point then seeing what HDSentinel reports can determine your next course of action.

If it was confirmed then I wouldn't wait the additional year or so as once deterioration starts, it can escalate quite quickly with subsequent writes to disk - HDSentinel doesn't know your usage.

Offline icarus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 10:30:00 PM »
that was a problem my restore points disappear sometimes....i dont have points more than maybe a week old. hmmm so replace the hard drive sooner or later do the factory reset and not a windows repair. how much is a hard drive i have to price them

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2016, 05:16:46 AM »
Device Manager will show you the make & model of HDD you have installed - Google that and that will give you a guide of what you could expect to pay.

You will need an image of what is on the HDD to load onto another HDD before replacing it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 05:18:18 AM by Boggin »

Offline icarus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2016, 12:28:23 AM »
I cant just start from scratch?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2016, 01:17:59 AM »
To start from scratch on an OEM machine after fitting a new HDD, you would either need an install disk with a valid product key or a set of OEM recovery disks, either created from the machine and not knowing if they had been corrupted from the bad sectors, or by contacting your computer vendor support to purchase a set of recovery disks.

Check to see if these are available.

An OEM computer has two product keys - a vendor generic one which may or not be the same as the COA sticker key and from my experience, Windows will not accept the generic one as a valid product key.

Belarc Advisor will display what this key is. http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html or you could use the free version of Speccy -

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

There are two methods I know of that may allow you change the product key to the COA sticker key if Windows will allow it - the first one worked on one of my Win 7 laptops but not on an older one.

Go Start - type Slui 3 - press enter then enter the COA sticker key and wait for it to validate or reject.

The other which I haven't tried is in this article - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/can-oem-product-key-be-used-to-re-install-windows/2669057f-28d6-455c-bc44-e0e68c2e3b33?auth=1
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 01:21:58 AM by Boggin »

Offline icarus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2016, 10:04:38 PM »
this is if im doing it myself isn't it?, couldn't i get a repair shop to do it. clone my drive to a external drive, install a new drive then put the info on the new drive. would i still need to do the factory reset or repair install of windows? i have a TOSHIBA MK6476GSX SATA Disk Device. or would the price not be worth it  for repairs and parts so just get a new computer?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2016, 01:08:32 AM »
Let's see if we can determine if your HDD really is suffering from ill health.

You can use either of these Seagate tools - Seatools for Windows downloads onto the computer while Seatools for DOS is created to a bootable disk.

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/

I use ImgBurn to create non-Windows bootable disks - http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/imgburn.html

I would be inclined to take whatever that reports as the true state of the HDD.

In deciding if a repair is viable compared to buying a new machine, you could take it to a repair shop, explain your problems and what you want them to do and get a quote.

I'd refer them to what chkdsk, HDSentinel and Seatools reports for them to decide if a new HDD is viable at this time - they may give you an honest answer.

I believe Dell still have some Win 7 machines, but you may have to Google to see what is available and if they would suit your purpose.

Vendors are increasingly going for Win 10 machines.

Offline icarus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2016, 12:24:20 AM »
oh yeah im hearing bad things about windows 10 like spying and no control on downloads, i dont know if i want that yet. hmmm you would trust the seagate diagnosis, ok ill try  that but i still have sentinel installed should i uninstall that first?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2016, 01:54:42 AM »
I always uninstall HDSentinel when done so that it stops the clock on the trial version and then reinstall it from my Downloads folder when I want to use it again.

Offline icarus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2016, 11:35:54 PM »
when i first tried to run it  i got a unhandled exception from microsoft net framework popup error it said it couldn't create the active x component.  i opened it the second time and got the same error  and opened it anyway but didn't run anything, should i still run the s.m.a.r.t check and another test or should i try to address the unhandled exception first?
i have Microsoft net frame work 4.6.1, i googled something on the error and someone said repair the net frame in control panel or is this problem related to something else?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2016, 12:32:13 AM »
Did this error pop up come up on its own or when you tried to run HDSentinel ?

Can you go into Event Viewer to look for a time stamped corresponding error.

The Even ID No. should help perhaps to see what went wrong and the blue online help link may give further details.

Are you still able to run HDSentinel to see what it reports under the General tab ?

anything