Author Topic: WR system tray icon  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
WR system tray icon
« on: May 24, 2016, 11:10:12 AM »
- Still no joy with Windows Repair (WR) system tray icon when the process "Explorer.exe" is re-started with WR (repair #12). Then the WR tray icon doesn't show up anymore. (Yes, I allowed the icon to be displayed.)

- I also noticed something else. I have 2 other tray icons (for Cleanmem & DiskLED.) The tray icon for Cleanmem always re-emerges when "Explorer.exe" is restarted. I presume that's because the icon needs to be updated every now & then

- But "DiskLED" shows different behaviour. When I manually kill & re-start "Explorer.exe" (Task Manager) then the DiskLED tray icon re-emerges without a hiccup after say 5 to 20 seconds. This does suggest that DiskLED does (succesfully) check for one or more socalled "Events".

But when "Explorer.exe" is killed & re-started by WR (repair #12) then the DiskLED icon doesn't re-emerge. Then I have to manually kill & restart the process. Or start a second DiskLED process. Only then the DiskLED icon re-emerges.

- I could imagine that the WR program code that "resets" the icon cache is executed too fast. Or perhaps two or more MSDOS commands are executed at the same time. Perhaps one or more of these MSDOS commands need to be executed with the "Start /Wait ............. " command. Then MSDOS will wait until a command is fully executed before executing the next command. Or the WR system tray icon still doesn't contain program code that checks for the "Explorer.exe" event.

- There's another weird thing going on. I am not able to start a second "WR Tray Icon" process. I have to kill the first one and only then I am able to re-start this process and get a WR tray icon to be shown.

"DiskLED" is a program that shows a tray icon that tells me whether or not there's disk I/O. I do have a hardware diskled but that's located at a place where I can't see it when I look at the computer screen.

https://helgeklein.com/blog/2009/11/how-to-easily-monitor-system-performance-with-the-new-diskled-1-1
(the same Helge Klein that wrote "SetACL").