Author Topic: Missing cat & mum files for Vista SP2  (Read 1919 times)

Offline marvalsys

• View Profile
Missing cat & mum files for Vista SP2
« on: July 14, 2016, 01:28:34 PM »
Trying to fix Windows Update on Vista SP2 PC that had been left idle for 3 years. Got through many using the WSUS Offline Update tool, but Windows Update still hangs forever at "Checking for updates".  Windows Repair Pre-Scan originally flagged 4 corrupt and 4 missing cat & mum files for KB979688.  Downloaded from the MS Update Catalog and managed to find and replace 6 of the 8, but can't find the 2 still missing anywhere.

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Missing cat & mum files for Vista SP2
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 10:13:40 AM »
ahhh you need to delete this out of the registry check this out... look at the black boxes and look at the version numbers looks like ms hot fixed those files so you need to look in your registry take permission of the key and manually delete those key to see if it will no longer show up on the prescan.  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages
you should find it in this key on the registry Please back up the registry first! it's a little less important than your heartbeat.
Julian

Offline marvalsys

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 08:09:23 PM »
Thanks - that worked, they no longer show up in the pre-scan.  And I had already solved the main problem - not getting updates - by following the advice from http://wu.krelay.de/en/ .  Last problem is that the built-in Windows System Restore won't run - get the message "The restore point could not be created for the following reason: Catastrophic failure (0x8000FFFF)."  The Windows Repair program Step 5 acts like it creates a restore point (no error), but if I try to do a restore either from Windows or from Windows Repair it says there are no restore points.  I've followed the advice from several sites about checking that all relevant services are running and dlls registered to no avail.  One post even said that Windows Repair had solved this for him but, alas, not for me.  I realize this no longer has to do with missing mum & cat files, so if you feel you might be able to help I would gladly move to another forum.  Thanks!

Offline marvalsys

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 01:18:35 PM »
Finally solved this last problem as well by re-registering all the Microsoft VSS components - most succinctly explained here http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50010.aspx (along with both 32 and 64 bit utilities to do it for you).  Thanks again for your help.