Author Topic: Request: upgrade SVCHOST look up tool  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Request: upgrade SVCHOST look up tool
« on: August 26, 2016, 10:55:49 AM »
- Currently the "SVCHOST look up tool" only shows the total amount of memory usage of all "Svchost.exe" processes combined and not the memory usage of each individual "Svchost.exe" process.
- So, the request becomes: Add an additional column that shows memory usage for each "Svchost" process. Since the program is able to show the total memory usage, I would assume it's possible to pull up memory usage for each running "Svchost.exe" process (think: PID) as well. I think that extra column then should be placed on the right hand side of the PID.

- Currently Vista, Win 7 and even Win 8 are experiencing problems with "Windows Update"
http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,4799.0.html

An improved tool (as requested above) would make detecting high memory usage of the "Svchost.exe" process as a result of a "Windows Update" problem much more easy.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:02:24 AM by Willy2 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Request: upgrade SVCHOST look up tool
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 04:31:19 PM »
In Task Manager/Processes click on Memory and that will sort to the highest users.

Right click on the highest service host then select Go to services and whichever is the bottom one is the service that is hogging the memory.

To see what each service host is covering, download Process Explorer then hover over each service host where you'll get a pop up listing those services.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

I don't know if you still have to do this with Process Explorer or if the latest version already incorporates these, but click on Options and ensure Verify Signature is checked then hover over VirusTotal.com and check its box.

You'll then get a VirusTotal column where they should be all blue but if you have any red highish values divided by 50ish then those should be treated as suspect.

The Windows Update service hogging CPU and memory in Win 7/8 is no longer a problem since MS has updated the Windows Update Agent each month for the next month's updates - but should you not have it then you can manually download from https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/949104

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 11:05:42 PM »
- Yes, I know. I use the same method in the guide I wrote. But if memory usage was included then that program would be (much) more useful. Then I could recommend the tool to other people (e.g. in that guide).
- Interesting link on the Windows Update Agent. But the info on that page is outdated. The newest version on my Win 7 system is "7.6.7601.190046"
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:26:38 PM by Willy2 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 02:07:58 AM »
- Yes, I know. I use the same method in the guide I wrote. But if memory usage was included then that program would be (much) more useful. Then I could recommend the tool to other people (e.g. in that guide).
- Interesting link on the Windows Update Agent. But the info on that page is outdated. The newest version on my Win 7 system is "7.6.7601.190046"

It helps if people can learn to do things for themselves especially where it only takes a couple of clicks.

The info may be out of date but usually the download would contain the latest KB as they are normally updated.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 03:51:02 AM »
- Yes, sometimes people indeed need to learn to more how to help themselves.
- But in this regard we'll have to "agree to disgree".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 04:43:03 AM »
When I'm stuck I'll usually ask Google, although that doesn't always provide an answer but does for most cases.

Perhaps people should learn to use Google more and then they will learn.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 05:18:05 AM »
- If this change would have been made I would be able to promote the program more. And I DO want to promote this prgram.