Author Topic: WR v3.xx issues  (Read 10511 times)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Re: WR v3.xx issues
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2016, 04:10:53 PM »
- WR still fails to register (think: REGSVR32) a number of files because WR targets the wrong folder(s).
- Talking of registering files: My attention was directed to an article

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/940184
(the article is meant to help fix problems with the VSS sub-system)

in which MS wrote something astonishing:

Important: This article is not for use with Windows Vista, with Windows Server 2008, or with later Windows operating systems. Starting with Windows Vista and with Windows Server 2008, Windows component installation is manifest-based. Trying to manually register specific components, as described in the following steps, can have unexpected results that may require you to reinstall Windows to resolve.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2016, 10:07:25 AM »
- Suggestion: Add a little more info to the main log file. Perhaps it's useful to let the log report in which mode the program was run (Safe Mode or Normal Mode)

In say 90% of the cases, I run WR in normal mode.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2016, 01:31:11 AM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 02:11:25 PM by Willy2 »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2016, 02:09:15 PM »
- Topic: WR system tray icon (program code).

The program code for the WR tray can be improved.

Let's assume that 2 copies of the program are stored in 2 folders (folder1 & folder2). Starting the program for the 1st time from folder1 is not a problem. But when I want to start the program for the 2nd time from the same folder then the program refuses to start a 2nd process. The only way to get a second process running is to start the program from a different folder (folder2). So far, so good. I can live with that.

But I think that when the "Explorer (re-)started" Event occurs, the same tests are executed. As a result the program never reaches the program code that makes the WR tray icon re-emerge in the system tray. In other words, the entry point for the "Explorer restarted" Event should be at a different point in the program code.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 02:21:16 PM by Willy2 »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2016, 11:41:25 PM »
- Found one more file that's not included in the MDAC repair:

C:\windows\system32\msrclr40.dll

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2016, 05:58:22 AM »
- Did some more testing and found some interesting things when it comes to "Repair Icons".

- I have 3 programs (DiskLED, WR tray icon, & Classic Shell) that are active in the Task Bar. When I use the WR repair called "Repair Icons" then both the WR tray icon & Classic Shell don't re-emerge any more. In say 50% of the cases DiskLED does re-emerge.
- But when I kill & restart "Explorer.exe" using Task Manager then both Classic Shell & DiskLED re-emerge without a hiccup. But even then the WR tray icon consistently fails to re-emerge. And that suggests that the WR tray icon doesn't properly respond/reply to the Event called "Explorer.exe" restarted. See a previous post.

DiskLED:
https://helgeklein.com/blog/2009/11/how-to-easily-monitor-system-performance-with-the-new-diskled-1-1/

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2016, 04:16:27 PM »
- The program code of the WR system tray icon hasn't been improved. It still dis-appears when the process "Explorer.exe" is killed and doesn't come back when the same process is re-started. To be fixed in the next WR version !!!!

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2016, 05:36:54 AM »
@Shane:

- Keep an eye on your email inbox. I have made & have sent a bunch of proposals on how some repairs can be improved/updated. E.g., I've added a bunch of new files to be registered in the programcode.
- In some previous versions of WR there was a socalled "Code clean up". Well, I did the same with the MSDOS commands in the proposals. Some program code is also meant to simplify that program code.
- All proposals come with comments on what the changes/improvements are for this new programcode.

- Again, Keep an eye on your email inbox.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 12:48:08 PM by Willy2 »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2017, 08:50:24 AM »
- Member "KR" has been using the "System Tweak tool" that comes with WR and had some problems. That's why I looked at the tool again and I think that the tool can be inproved in a number of ways:

- When the user clicks on "Apply Tweaks" then a message "Applying tweaks" shows up for a brief moment. I think the time this message is being displayed is (way) too short. I would recommend to always display that "Applying tweaks" message for say 20 or 30 seconds before it disappears.
- When the user has hit "Apply tweaks" then only apply the tweaks in the active tab.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2017, 09:34:32 AM »
I've already emailed Shane about KR's problems as well as others with problems with WR but he has a back log of emails to work through as he's heavily involved with developing v4.0 as well as his computer repair business.

It's rare that I get a reply these days.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2017, 10:07:39 AM »
- I know. And that's precisely why I post this in this thread. Then it can be read at a later time. No need to rush it.
- My personal opinion is that Shane should find someone who can help him with developing the Tweaking program(s). It would aleviate the (programming) burden for him. But I also fear that these programs are too much his own "children" and that he can't delegate (large portions of) the work to others.

I have more suggestions for improvement of the "System Tweak" tool:
- Currently the user must tick 4 separate boxes to get those 4 tabs with tweaks applied when the user hits the "Apply Tweak" button. Perhaps it's a good idea to remove those boxes (in combination with the previous suggestion) and to replace it with an button called "Reload default settings". Either for all 4 tabs or for the active tab only.
- Or add a button called "Read Active Settings" button instead. Because the default settings (think: boxes ticked) don't seem to reflect the active settings. This is based on the assumption that the program doesn't read the active settings upon start up from the registry. I know that the program reads the settings from an "*.ini" file and that can be different from what's in the registry.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 10:38:08 AM by Willy2 »

Offline villand

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2017, 11:34:47 AM »
Currently running this on my laptop (Windows 10 Home Version 64 Bit OS). It has been running for over 23 hours and is at Process 8 out of 43; however, it seems to be stuck at this point. I'm running in safe mode and as per recommended setting as per your program. It is running process 8, repair MDAC/MS Jet. At the bottom of the screen under Drive Read: and under Drive Write: it shows o bytes. There doesn't seem to be any activity. Am I correct? Is it jammed at this point, and if it is, what should I do next?
Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2017, 02:54:11 PM »
You can stop the program.

Did you perform a chkdsk /f before running the repairs to see if it reports any KBs in bad sectors or anything else ?

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2017, 02:05:33 PM »
@Villand: Stop the program and re-run the program but skip the repair that caused the problems.
Then re-run the program again. Perhaps then the program will run without a hiccup.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2017, 02:24:57 PM »
- Windows Repair comes with Tweaking's Registry Backup (RB). And in RB there's still a (small !!!) bug. Somehow I ended up with three empty subfolders in "C:\Regbackup". RB had the following relevant settings in the *.ini file for RB:

BackupLocation=%WindowsDrive%\RegBackup\
AutoDeleteOldBackups=1
AutoDeleteOldBackupsDays=32
BackupsToKeep=32

But in spite of these settings, and having 56 copies RB fails to delete those 3 empty (sub-)folders that were created back in early december. See also the picture attached.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:09:53 AM by Willy2 »