Author Topic: Microsoft changes the way it updates Win 7 & Win 8  (Read 5718 times)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Microsoft changes the way it updates Win 7 & Win 8
« on: August 29, 2016, 09:22:47 AM »
- MS changes the way updates are issued. Following the "Convenience Roll Up" package (KB 3125574) and the monthly "Roll Ups"

Source:
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/05/17/simplifying-updates-for-windows-7-and-8-1/

MS now goes even a few steps further with these "monthly roll up" updates. And that now also includes the .NET (security) updates.

Source:
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/08/15/further-simplifying-servicing-model-for-windows-7-and-windows-8-1/

- My personal opinion is that MS SHOULD issue/release a new Service Pack for both Win 7 & Win 8. That would provide a clean & stable foundation for those "Monthly roll Ups".

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Re: Microsoft changes the way it updates Win 7 & Win 8
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 11:32:26 AM »
- Here's a weblink with info on the new .NET update policy. About the same policy as with the new WU policy.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2016/08/15/introducing-the-net-framework-monthly-rollup/

Comments:
- When is MS going to do the same with other software suites/packages ? Like Outlook, Office, .............
- MS has done a similar thing with updates for IE 11. Install IE 11 and one needs to install the latest "Cumulative Security Update" only, and that suffices to get IE 11 up to date. Thumbs up for MS !!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 12:33:23 PM by Willy2 »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 02:19:29 PM »
- It was "Hazelnut" who brought this info to my attention. I only passed it on to this web forum.

https://forum.piriform.com/
https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=46846

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 11:49:06 PM »
Do you think this will help users like me who struggle every month to get Windows Update to download everything - with error messages which generally translate as connection issues - or make matters worse because it's an all or nothing download?

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 11:57:12 PM »
- It will make the Update process less complicated and that will reduce the amount of errors.
- But when one has a "buggy" internet connection then it will help less.
- If your internet connection is a bit slow or "buggy" then I would recommend to manually download and install those updates. And wait say 2 or 3 days after "Update Tuesday". Then the MS servers are a bit less busy which increases the succes rate of a download.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 12:26:22 AM »
Hi Willy,

Thanks for your views - that's rather what I thought. I'm stuck with satellite for the foreseeable future and it's adequate for Internet browsing, email and works reasonably quickly (if I choose my times correctly) to download files directly from MS servers but is woefully inadequate when I leave Windows to its own devices to find and download updates. So I'll see how things progress when I leave Windows to its own devices for the moment but expect I'll need to manually download the update package each month.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 12:44:06 AM »
- Or install a Download manager. And switch it to a low transfer rate (if possible)
- I don't know where the MS servers for Europe or France are located. But then try to choose a time when not too many people are using the internet.
- Make a screenshot of the Updates recommended, then manually download those updates and store all those updates including the Original installation file(s) (Win 7 ???) on a USB stick. It makes you less dependent on the "buggy" internet connection when you want to re-install Windows.
- You also can try to slipstream all those updates.

- To find good information on these topics: GOOGLE it !!

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 01:34:16 AM »
Thanks, Willy, I've done nothing but Google for information on these topics! Unfortunately, topics are many but solutions that work consistently are few and far between. Mornings are the best times to get reasonable download speeds here in France. Afternoons and evenings, especially during the summer holidays(!) are worse. I get free downloads (don't count towards my approx 8.5 GB monthly download limit) from 23:00 to 07:00 as part of my package but all the world is trying to download stuff during that period so it can be pretty slow. A download manager might be the answer - I'll give it a try.........

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 11:48:42 AM »
- Today I downloaded the MS SURT tool. (No, I don't have problems with WU). And this text was on the download page of that tool:

"This tool is being offered because an inconsistency was found in the Windows servicing store which may prevent the successful installation of future updates, service packs, and software."

- When I downloaded that tool it had "-v34-" in the name. So, this tool was updated/improved - at least - 33 times !!!!!

Source:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=20858

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 12:16:37 PM »
Thanks for that, Willy - just taken the opportunity to download the file to my Android tablet while on holiday - can install it on my two W7 computers when I get back home  and see if it improves matters (taking a full backup first, of course!).

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 12:51:23 PM »
- The mere existence of this tool shows precisely the reason why a this new MS Update policy will reduce the amount of problems with WU.
- One Always nust download the newest version of this tool.
- As long as I don't have any WU problems I am NOT going to run this tool.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 04:31:41 PM »
- MS has changed its update policies once more.

https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=46846#entry277031

MS also changed the update policie(s) for IE more than once.
- IE 8 isn't supported anymore.
- For Vista systems only IE 9 is supported for the time being. What happens when Vista is no longer supported after april 2017 ? I assume then IE 9 won't be supported any more as well.
- For Win 7 systems only IE 11 is supported. And MS switched to issueing "Cumulative Security Updates for IE11" every month. That already removed A LOT OF confusion (think: Windows Update).

- Now since october 2016 that "Cumulative Security Update for IE 11" is included into the "Monthly Security & Quality Roll Up" Updates. (I liked the concept of the "IE 11 Cumulative Security Update" but I do not like this latest change for IE 11 at all).