Author Topic: Could not undo!  (Read 5393 times)

Offline AreV

• View Profile
Could not undo!
« on: August 23, 2016, 01:25:10 PM »
I made the mistake of downloading Simple System Tweaker on 1/28/2015. The properties say it is version 2.2.0.0 I am running a Dell XPS One 2720 with an i7 8 GB of RAM, and a 32 GB SSD with a 2TB Hard drive behind it. I am running Windows 10 and back in Windows 8 I tried it because it said it could undo itself if I did not like it. It slowed mine down or made no difference. I Followed the instruction to undo and the program said it could not because of corrupted files. MY system has no infections, is up to date, and I am a tech. I want to know if I use the uninstaller in the program folder will it reverse the standard tweaks. I made no changes to the default settings. If the uninstall does not undo it could you please post a list of exactly what it does on a default tweaking, and post specific instructions on how to restore my system settings. I have made no changes to the Tweaking and just got around to registering.

I do not like any program that says it will undo itself then can't in the same day. It is getting uninstalled, the question is will you disclose the exact tweaks done to a Windows 8 or 10 system, and how to manually undo them? I will then pass them along to the people that installed this on my recommendation.

Thanks.

Offline AreV

• View Profile
Re: Could not undo!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 01:32:41 PM »
I did go to the screen asking which VSS to use etc. no joy and that was back then the same day and week I tried your product.. I have also done registry cleans with CCleaner since. I have and had no idea which VSS version to use. I am a tech and am not afraid of doing registry edits. It has also been upgraded to 10 and then the Anniversary update has been deferred as I am using Pro, but I have done the security updates.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 04:25:44 PM »
I haven't used the program but if you don't have a restore point to prior its install then you could perform a repair install if you created a Win 10 install disk or USB when you upgraded.

The MCT has now been upgraded to include the Anniversary Update (AU), so if you created Win 10 media now and repair installed with that - you would upgrade to the AU.

Offline AreV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 06:52:57 PM »
I'm a tech and can do factory restores, but thanks. I need someone who is from the company to list the default tweaks from the January 2015 2.2 release. Then I can manually undo them. This was done 18 months ago. First and last time I try another optimizing program on my main system. Yes I can revert to Windows 8 and start over but that would be silly when all I need are the changes made by default. I did not customize any settings. I thought I could back out and undo it. What a waste of my time. I think I got it all but wanted to find out more before I uninstall and delete the folders.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 12:27:25 AM »
I'm not talking about a factory reset but a repair install which will reinstall Win 10 without affecting your installed programs and personal stuff.

However, I'll pass on your request to Shane who is the author of Tweaking.com programs.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 02:34:11 AM »
You could restore the registry backup that you made, or hit the "?" for information on what registry keys are changed. See screenshots attached.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 02:38:13 AM by Samson »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 04:20:51 AM »
Taking the registry back to what it was 18 months ago could have its own repercussions as we don't know what's been added since.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 04:41:55 AM »
 :shy: Misread the date as 28th July 2016, specsavers here I come.

Remembered this from Shane...."If you run the tweaks and you have something unchecked it puts that tweak back to default on the system and such." http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,2001.msg12844.html#msg12844
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 05:08:43 AM by Samson »

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 06:21:42 AM »
Each setting is listed with a checkbox in the program as you run it.

You can uncheck it and would set it back to the windows default.

However, given that you ran it 7 months ago -- I'm not sure I;d do that unless you are having a specific problem related to one of the settings, then I'd work on that specific one.

The settings are all registry-based items.  Restoring a backup of a registry from 7 months ago is not a good idea.  As a tech, you know this, but it should be stated for others. You should make periodic backups always.  The settings are very well tested.  You shouldn't be having any issues with them. If you were you would have seen it immediately not in 7 months time.

If you are getting an error on restore, I suspect that means that the backup was deleted or you very well may have a corrupt file. Having a corrupt file does mean you have a virus, it could mean a number of things - but not usually a virus.

If this were me and was not having any issues. I'd simply leave it and move on. 

Online Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 06:11:01 AM »
- I think a VERY GOOD question is: Is this program compatible with Windows 10 ?? (And I don't have an answer).

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 09:24:34 AM »
It is. Has been since before win 10 came out. But that is listed on the file page:
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 10:13:03 AM »
It is. Has been since before win 10 came out. But that is listed on the file page:
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

The OP has an issue with Simple System Tweaker, and I think Willy2's question related to it as well, not Windows Repair.

Seemingly compatble with Windows 10.....
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/simple_system_tweaker.html
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 01:24:03 PM by Samson »

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 08:08:17 PM »
yes simple system tweaker works on win 10 as well.

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/simple_system_tweaker.html

Offline AreV

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 03:55:15 PM »
Folks,
I considered all that. No I would not try to undo any program that has been done two versions of Windows ago. 8.1 then the 8.1 big update, then Windows 10, then the big update. I have held off from doing the Anniversary update by deferring as my system is 10Pro.

I decided to ask what the rules is for folks that try it, and then get the files may be corrupted and that what VSS or whatever is lost or not clear or needs to be answered.

CCleaner which I use has saved registry cleanings that are cc*********. reg files. Too undo a registry clean I simply double click on the last saved reg file. No questions, no failures in the last ten years or so with any Piriform products.

I tried this one because it said easy undo and I did the default tweaking to make reverting simple. sailed on first try.

I believe that with the Windows 10 upgrade and the several big updates that whatever registry and other items that were tweaked are back to current defaults.

I will certainly not be using any Tweaker products.

Good luck y'all.

anything