Author Topic: Windows 7 x64 SP1 Ultimate - Media Features fail to be enabled-installed  (Read 2185 times)

Offline ttiihone

• View Profile
Hello everyone and Shane.

I soooo wish that You could implement a truly working FIX OPTION to resolve all possible issues with MEDIA FEATURES which includes three sub-features; MediaCenter, WindowsMediaPlayer and MediaPlayback (Registry names). This is frustrating. Read my problem below it might be helpful for You with coding this Fix feature in Windows Repair.

So I have previously uninstalled the Win 7 x64 SP1 Ultimate's MEDIA FEATURES through "Turn Windows Features On or Off" and now I want that feature back (ie. its 3 'sub-features' MediaCenter, WindowsMediaPlayer and MediaPlayback. Unfortunately, Windows gives me an error and the installation failed. I am the Administrator of my PC I use the original admin account :) I have all the Win updates installed, also for other software, hardware etc.

I also tried to ENABLE those three features via DISM and it failed with error-code 1603. Command Prompt copy/paste is below (MediaPlayback has to be enabled first).

C:\Windows\System32>DISM /online /enable-feature /featurename:MediaPlayback

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Image Version: 6.1.7601.23403

Enabling feature(s)

Error: 1603

Fatal error during installation.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

The initially clean DISM log file is attached. It is total Hebrew to me so I hope You could help me out.

Is something missing or misconfigured on my PC? I must say that my SERVICES are NOT set to default start-up and I have done tons of things to tweak my PC so I might have broken something by accident.

Hope You could help me out!

And a HUGE THANK YOU for making this software!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm not sure if I missed your thread or passed your problem on or how you are getting on with this, but if you have an install disk that includes SP1 then you can perform a repair install which may reinstate the media features.

If you don't have such a disk then the download from this web site may still work but I don't know if the ISO includes SP1.

Select Save and then you can use Windows own USB/DVD Burner Tool to create install media of your choice.

If you are using an OEM machine where Enterprise was pre-installed then you will need the COA sticker key to activate.

To ensure this will be accepted then before you perform the repair install, go Start - type Slui 3 - press enter then enter the key which should return as activated.

If your Enterprise is a retail version then enter the key into

This web site will only release the download with a valid retail key.

Again - I don't know if this ISO includes SP1.

Also before performing a repair install, it is advisable to back up the drivers folders onto something like an USB stick and they can be found in C:\Windows\system32 and then you can copy & paste them back in after.