Author Topic: APPs in windows 10 no longer able to add or update  (Read 9288 times)

Offline silhouett

• View Profile
APPs in windows 10 no longer able to add or update
« on: April 23, 2017, 04:12:23 pm »
My apps section of windows 10 no longer works, wont update or add an app. I ran SFC and got these errors in the CBS.log file.  I am wondering should I run Tweaking Directory permissions fix and if so should I run that for the administrators account ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: APPs in windows 10 no longer able to add or update
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 06:17:14 am »
Whenever I have problems with Win 10 I'll perform a repair install.

However, the current ISO to create install media includes the Creators update which hasn't been without problems for some.

For me, chkdsk /f no longer runs after the reboot, but if you don't have install media then you can create one by using the Download tool now button at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 after reading how to create the media.

Offline silhouett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 11:19:00 am »
Well Id love to do a repair install but cant as per the picture attached windows is telling me that windows may be installed in an unsupported directory ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 02:58:17 pm »
I got that when I tried to do a repair install of 1703.15063.138 with an earlier Win 10 ISO but it works fine with an up to date one for me.

Which version of Win 10 are you using and which ISO are you trying the repair install with ?

Go Start - type winver - press enter and that will tell you the version you are now on.

If you don't mind reinstalling your programs, you could use the Reset this PC option.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 03:01:09 pm by Boggin »

Offline silhouett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 06:16:54 pm »
I want to thank you for your help, Went to Microsoft and downloaded the newest windows.  That worked and the upgrade fixed the apps.
I think that error that windows is in an unsupported directory is very vague. Apparently if your version installed is the same as the version you are doing a upgrade repair on
you get that message.  I also found that you will get that message if you change the paths of any of the default directories.  So have all your Documents, or downloads on drive D:
with windows on C: would also give that message.  There was a list of  thing such as installing it in another language etc... crazy that they just dont tell you what the problem is ?

Anyway Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 12:24:22 am »
Prior to upgrading my two Win 7 laptops to Win 10 I removed the OEM recovery D: partition and merged that with C: so I don't have a D: drive.

The only time I've received that error message was as I've described and any subsequent repair installs have gone smoothly.

Now that you are running properly again, it would be prudent to start creating system images onto external media - preferably an external HDD.

Having upgraded to 1703.15063.138 you will have 10 days to roll back should you come across any problems.

After upgrading mine I had to pin Control Panel to the Taskbar as it has been removed from the Start menu and change Powershell back to Command Prompt in the Start menu.

I also found that in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Network adapters, all of the WAN Miniports were no longer listed.

Using the Network reset reinstated those, but I also found  that while the Ethernet Controller didn't show any alerts, it wasn't working.

Right clicking on it and selecting Properties, under the General tab gave the error message that it needed to be installed.

From a Command Prompt (Admin) the cmd netcfg -d will reinstate that after a reboot.

Unfortunately I haven't found a fix to get a chkdsk /f to run after the reboot and I have to run it from the Recovery Command Prompt should I need to run it.

After you have checked that your 1703 is as you want it, could you check to see if a chkdsk /f will run after the reboot, although it hasn't affected everyone.

Offline MaxH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 03:23:27 am »
#Boggin, regarding your chkdsk problem, same issue here. I tried normal and safe mode. No chkdsk was executed.

Related to that, in the 'Check Disk(chkdsk) At Next Boot' window, the Current Status: 'Drive C: is set at next boot: (/F)Fixes errors on the disk.' is still there after the next boot. Maybe because the checkdisk was not executed? I thought the Current Status should be emty after 1 next reboot?

Windows 10 Pro 10.0.15063.138 (x64)
WR v3.9.28 (Pro)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 02:36:59 pm »
I'm not sure what you are getting when you try to perform a chkdsk /f

In 1607 in the registry -

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control then click on SessionManager you will see an entry for BootExecute in the right pane.

To the right of that is autocheck autochk *

But in 1703 the entry is -

autocheck autochk /p \??\c: autocheck autochk *

and even when you remove the first part of the string the chkdsk /f still won't execute after the reboot.

I've done a repair install on this machine and on checking that key, I found the registry expanded from HKLM which suggested something wasn't right.

That key was just showing as autocheck autochk * but when you try the chkdsk /f it still fails and when you go back into the registry, the first part off the string has been reinstated.

I'm not too bothered about that for now as I can still do it in the Recovery cmd prompt, but I've found I have a bigger problem.

Last night I found that I couldn't get an Internet connection in Safe Mode with Networking - it keeps taking out my Ethernet and in Device Manager/Network adapters, the Properties of the Ethernet reports Code 45 - This device is not connected to the computer.

To reinstate that, you need to run the elevated cmd netcfg -d and a reboot, but it also takes out the Ethernet on a repair install and did it when I first upgraded to 1703.

In 1607 you can manually connect wireless in Safe Mode with Networking through the wireless icon in the system tray, but in 1703 on mine that icon is dead and doesn't show the SSID(s) so that you can connect.

I don't know if you also have this problem but I'd advise you to roll back to 1607 to see if your apps problem has been fixed and wait for it to come through WUs, but you'll know when you are going to get it through the phased roll out, you first get an update for your privacy settings.