Author Topic: cloning or imaging which is best for restore in the even of hdd failure  (Read 12001 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Thanks for the extra tips
pl say the fix for  exclamation in xp machine
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline jraju

• View Profile
HI, please say, can i use p.e 3-1 for windows 7 also. samson please also tell where i could write comments as in your fig. i am using the sameversion . I just ignored the updates, when alerted with your able guidance, i have taken the c: drive backup withrescue disk and also checked in the laptop. i just exited once i saw the backup file and restore option menu.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 12:26:53 AM by jraju »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Yes PE 3.1 is fine for Win7 and XP. If your Win 7 machine does not have the option to boot from USB, then create the rescue media on CD.

You can add comments during the backup process you will see "advanced Options" in the bottom left hand corner of the window as you go through the back up process.

You do not have the same version as me, mine is 5.3 build 7299

Don't worry about the exclamation. It simply means that the rescue media does not have the driver for your wireless NIC, you don't need it for the backup/ restore process, so ignore it. it is fine.

Remember to back up the data in other partions on the drive or do a backup selecting the whole drive/ all partitions.

i just exited once i saw the backup file and restore option menu.

You are the first person that I have known to get "excited" by backing up, that is a good thing  :smiley:

Edit: My bad, I misread "exited" for "excited"  :rolleyes:
I did n't think anyone would get excited by backing up  :wink:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:38:43 AM by Samson, Reason: Added "Edit" »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Is there any provision to treat the pendrive as hard disk in older machines?

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Not sure what you mean?

If there is no option in the BIOS to boot from USB, then create the rescue media on CD/ DVD. It takes a bit longer to load up but works just fine.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, I asked this query, as my pc's dvd drive is not functioning.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Is this relating to creating the rescue media?...And am I correct in now thinking that your PC has no option to boot from USB and a dead DVD drive?  :undecided:

You have a few choices here...

With USB thumb drive plugged in, try searching the boot options, it might show up then.

Check again in the BIOS for settings to enable booting from USB, may involve a BIOS update.

Replace the dead DVD drive.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Samson, your last resolution, to replace dead dvd is the only option, i think so. In laptop, i was given the chance to boot from usb and so it was easy to check . But in pc, older hardware, bios updated, there is no provision to boot from usb, nor  usbdoes it show in any other menu, even though there is entry usb 3.0 supported in one of the menu.
Thanks, but is there any alternative to recognize the usb drive in bios?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Samson, Is it enough if i create a single rescue disk for both my pc and laptop? I ask this becasue my OS is different in different devices. Desktop has windows 7 and laptop windows xp sp3. Moreover, if i click yes in the create rescue disk in windows 7, it first list out the list of drivers in windows 7 machine, and when i click yes in laptop, it listed those present in the laptop. Is the rescue disk is machine specific?
                     If so, could i just use the same pendrive having rescue disk to recover for both the devices.
                       Will it ask for windows key on recovery, pl give your solutions

Offline Samson

• View Profile
In most cases a single rescue disk will work on multiple machines. I am not sure what you want from me here, but the simplest solution in your case will be to.....

Use the USB pendrive that you have created for your son's laptop on that machine. You have tested it and it worked right?

Replace the CD/DVD drive on yours and create the rescue media on CD/ DVD and use that on yours.

You will not have to enter any Windows key, as you are restoring an activated image, not reinstalling the OS.

I have no idea what options are available in your BIOS, is this the Intel D915GAV board? 
Latest BIOS is EV91510A.86A.0482.2006.0222.2350 February 23, 2006 I suggest you ask here https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/desktop

You may want to think about changing your signature  :wink:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 05:02:35 AM by Samson »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Samson, please see the error message  and motherboard. I told you about hdd failure and replacement in my previous posts.The verification completed and every process is successful in laptop os and other backups using macrium reflect.
Please give solution to the error. I will try to repair or replace the dvd drive

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, i enclosed the second try error. Now it is in 7%, hash value is incorrect?, the other error writngs are same

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Verification failure is caused by the fact that the data that is written to your backup drive cannot be read back reliably.

See this Knowledge base article http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Understanding+Image+Verification+Failures
"Errors of this type are symptomatic of a computer system with a marginal hardware problem. The most likely suspect is your backup media - but memory and motherboard faults can also cause this issue."

First thing I'd try is plug the external drive into a different USB socket, try a socket at the rear of the PC.

I have never had a verification error so can offer little help.

Remember that any image that you do manage to create will be useless unless you have the ability to boot from resccue media.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Samson, I will try another usb port.
                   I know the value of verification from your post, but what is hash is incorrect. It is the same program , mac ref that is writing the image from the one from computer in its own form. In laptop, i did not have this problem. So, i will try verify and then only try to check with rescue disk.
                           Glad that you never experienced this error.
                               The image creation is 100 percent success, but the process of verify is having problem.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Hi, Samson, I will try another usb port.
  Be sure to try one at the rear, that connects directly to the motherboard.

but what is hash is incorrect. It is the same program , mac ref that is writing the image from the one from computer in its own form.

The article I linked to explains this.

Maybe best to ask here https://forum.macrium.com/Forum3.aspx
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:30:56 PM by Samson »

anything