Author Topic: A sneak preview of V4  (Read 4156 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A sneak preview of V4
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 02:42:52 PM »
Well it has been a disaster for me running v4.0 on my Win 7 laptop.

The machine was frozen after the reboot on completion of the repairs so booted up into Safe Mode with Networking to use the program's registry back up but it was even frozen in that mode.

Power shut down again and booted up into Safe Mode with Command Prompt and ran the cmd rstrui.exe to get to my restore points.

Selected the one I'd created prior to updating to v4.0 which took about 30 mins only to find that when I opened 3.9.36 that it had corrupt files.

Downloaded 3.9.36 only to find that it would only download v4.0.

Time to use my system images just to find it couldn't find any images on either of the external HDDs I use alternatively.

Booted up into Safe Mode with Networking to open the program to see what registry back ups there were and chose one for the 11th June, which was probably too far back - it was as I just ended up with a black screen and a white arrow.

I've booted up with an install disk to use the System Restore and it's currently restoring back to the 18th June.

When I did a scan for affected programs, Windows Repair wasn't even listed, so I await with apprehension as to what it's going to give me.

I think I may have to factory reset the machine which is a job and a half in itself, but I'm still going to be stuck with v4.0 when I reinstall the programs if it still doesn't find any images on those ext. HDDs after.

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 07:39:31 PM »
alright so right now i'm turning on my windows 7 virtual machine and ill run and test this to figure out what is happening ill make a video for Shane to review as well and see if i can duplicate everything that has happened so right now what has been reported is slow startup speeds and freezing in the reboots even in safemode.
Julian

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 10:44:36 PM »
Well it has been a disaster for me running v4.0 on my Win 7 laptop.

The machine was frozen after the reboot on completion of the repairs so booted up into Safe Mode with Networking to use the program's registry back up but it was even frozen in that mode.

Power shut down again and booted up into Safe Mode with Command Prompt and ran the cmd rstrui.exe to get to my restore points.

Selected the one I'd created prior to updating to v4.0 which took about 30 mins only to find that when I opened 3.9.36 that it had corrupt files.

Downloaded 3.9.36 only to find that it would only download v4.0.

Time to use my system images just to find it couldn't find any images on either of the external HDDs I use alternatively.

Booted up into Safe Mode with Networking to open the program to see what registry back ups there were and chose one for the 11th June, which was probably too far back - it was as I just ended up with a black screen and a white arrow.

I've booted up with an install disk to use the System Restore and it's currently restoring back to the 18th June.

When I did a scan for affected programs, Windows Repair wasn't even listed, so I await with apprehension as to what it's going to give me.

I think I may have to factory reset the machine which is a job and a half in itself, but I'm still going to be stuck with v4.0 when I reinstall the programs if it still doesn't find any images on those ext. HDDs after.

@ Boggin

Sorry to hear about your woes - in the light of these problems, I'm not going to try any more experiments with v 4.0 for the moment. I use Casper 10 to make complete bootable backups to duplicate physical hard drives so things are somewhat different for me. The only repair I've yet made with v 4.0 has been to run the Firewall repair option on W7 to clear left-over entries. I really hope you can get your Windows 7 laptop back to normal without too much grief.

@ Julian

Do you have a link to the latest previous version,  3.9.6, just in case I want to reinstall until v 4.0 problems are resolved? I'm pretty sure I don't have a copy as the last couple of times I updated, I did it from within WRAIO.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:04:45 PM by Still_Game, Reason: Clarification »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 01:21:07 AM »
On the home page at www.tweaking.com you have all of the links for previous versions, but clicking on any only gets you v4.0.

Trying the restore points booted up with an install disk initially returned as failed with an unexpected error 0x800700b7 so tried another restore point which also failed with the same unexpected error, but this time it was 0x8000ffff

Anyway, I closed that window and the machine rebooted which then gave me the message that the restore was successful.

However, when I opened v3.9.35 that also had corrupt files so that will need reinstalling which I won't be able to do.

I've since run an offboot sfc /scannow which has come back clean, but on trying the system image restore, it's still reporting it cannot find an image on the ext. HDD.

It's starting to look more an more like a factory reset and then perhaps it will be able to find the image, but I'll still have to do all of the preparatory work in case it doesn't.

I think that's going to be a job for another day.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 01:43:04 PM »
So far only  3 or so people have reported any problems running on windows 7, I am trying to replicate the problems right now as I type this, anything I can replicate I can fix.

Can you tell me what repairs you ran? I just finished running all the repairs that had been updated since v3 and there was no problem, so now I am running all the repairs to see what happens.

So any extra info on what you did and ran will help me :-)

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 01:59:05 PM »
I ran the default checked boxes less those for Win 8 and 10.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 02:07:17 PM »
I cant seem to replicate the problem at all with my windows 7 in vmware.

Do me a fav and send me an email. Make sure you make a current backup of your system that you can restore, I found a few changes from v3 to v4 in the repairs and I am going to undo them and have you try out a new build and see if it fixes it. If it doesnt I want you to be able to restore back, since I cant replicate it I need your help to find the problem :-)

Shane

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 02:12:48 PM »
Okay - I manually created a restore point before updating to v4.0 and then again before running the repairs, but with restoring back so far to try and resolve the system image problem, they'll be gone.

I'm on one of my Win 10 laptops at the moment but will boot the Win 7 one up in readiness.

So are you going to send me a .zip of like you did with the beta v4.0 ?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 02:14:03 PM »
Yeah I am making 4.0.1 right now, I am changing back some of the repairs I changed to see if that does the trick.

Shoot me an email, shane at tweaking.com

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 04:05:05 PM »
v.4.01 to be released tomorrow.