Author Topic: BSOD in Safe Mode  (Read 4299 times)

Offline roger_m

• View Profile
BSOD in Safe Mode
« on: August 21, 2017, 06:16:24 pm »
Hi Shane, yesterday I wanted to run some repairs, and selected Reboot to Safe Mode.  After this I got a Page Fault in Nonpaged Area whenever I tried to boot.

I eventually found the cause of the BSOD.  It's only because I believe in fixing problems rather than restoring from a working backup/reformatting that I took the time try and find the cause, even though it seemed it would not be able to fix it.  The BSOD only happens when booting into Safe Mode.  I was able to get my computer to boot again, by entering the command "bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot" into a command prompt after booting in Recovery mode.  Now my computer boots again.

I have a suggestion that you include information on how to recover from similar situations on your website, with a link to it in Windows Repair.  At the moment, I'm not looking at trying to fix the BSOD, as it's enough for me to be able to boot fine normally.  But, I'm sure that if you put information on issues with Safe Mode on your website it could be very useful for others, even though I know my situation is extremely rare.

A few months ago when Creators Update was released, any upgrade attempts failed.  The log files showed some driver errors.  There were some drivers which had been removed from my system, but because of problems with registry permissions, they were still listed in the Driver Store, as Windows had been unable to remove the related registry keys.  Even after running the registry permissions fix, Windows was unable to remove these registry keys.  It would seem that there are some registry keys that Windows Repair was not fixing the permissions of, or tried to do so and failed.  This was in April, and perhaps the permissions repair has been improved since then, but if not, if would seem that there are some areas of the registry that are missed my the permissions repair.

I was able to remove the registry keys with Registrar Registry Manager, but not with regedit.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: BSOD in Safe Mode
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 05:38:47 am »
I've passed this onto Shane for his comment but haven't received a reply yet.

Offline roger_m

• View Profile
Re: BSOD in Safe Mode
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 04:48:26 pm »
Thanks.