Author Topic: Windows 7 and WMI  (Read 3332 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7 and WMI
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 09:58:12 AM »
As I've said, a restore point is created on my Win 7.

You can reinstall any Win 7 services and check what their status should be from https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/236709-services-restore-default-services-windows-7-a.html

What other residual problems are you having ?

Sometimes running the program a second time can complete the repairs.

I've recently ran it on my Win 7 laptop with all of the repairs except those for Win 8/8.1 and 10 without any untoward after effects.

Does Event Viewer or reliability history record anything specific ?

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 05:32:34 PM »
- I just re-installed Win 7 Pro 64 bit and the switche(s) for svchost.exe is -k netsvcs. A new fresh re-install is a good way to get rid of A LOT OF "pollution" of the registry (think: permissions, obsolete registry entries, etc.)
- Perhaps the users that have problems have installed some software that changes those/that switch(es) for WMI ??
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 05:35:51 PM by Willy2 »

Offline win7user

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 09:58:24 AM »
What other residual problems are you having ?

Does Event Viewer or reliability history record anything specific ?

- 2057 errors of all kinds in last 24 hours: top three: Service Control Manager,  Application Hang, DistributedCOM
- sfc found errors it could not fix
- very slow system response
- very slow Internet access
- various application programs would not load or run
- permission errors trying to access various data files
- previously installed windows update KBs missing

In my opinion the System Restore function is most viable immediately after installing problematic software or a faulty uninstall, but not so much when there have been significant configuration/permission changes deep in the operating system and/or registry.

I wasn't prepared to spend anymore time troubleshooting this issue and went straight to the nuclear option of reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling the O/S. Over the years I've devoted way too much time trying to fix these type of problems and no longer have the patience for it. For me a good rule of thumb is to keep all important data files on storage media separate from the O/S storage media.

For now I would caution anyone from attempting to use Windows Repair in Tweaking.com v4.0.7 on a Windows 7 system.     

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 10:08:12 AM »
- Then I would check the SMART condition of the HD first. Run GSmartControl and see if any pink lines show up in the "Attributes" tab of that program (assuming you have HD and not a SSD). If the HD is (in the 1st stages of) failing then a re-install won't help either.
- Windows Repair sometimes puts a lot of strain on your HD.

(And I Always keep the last say 10 versions of WR)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:42:23 AM by Willy2 »