Author Topic: Preservation of some installation option elections  (Read 681 times)

Offline GLykos

• View Profile
Preservation of some installation option elections
« on: October 19, 2017, 06:44:13 PM »
Have very much appreciated having Windows Repair available to count on when needed.  Have likewise very much appreciated the author's dedication in continuing to revise and update the program.

A request that stems from needing to continually adjust the installation of updates to my preferences:
1. Please preserve the user's choice of program installation and menu group folders.
2. Please resolve whatever is causing the program to run at startup after installation even though that was specifically not requested during installation.  Settings | Remove from Startup (click with no visual success indication) seems to achieve that after the fact.  Perhaps changing the two buttons (are they in fact independent functions?) under WR Tray Icon to be presented the same as Launch Tray Icon would simplify the UI and make those elections self-documenting at a glance.

These are trivial matters, but would simplify the updating process.  Am seeing this on Win 7, if it matters.

Thanks, and best regards,
George

Online Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Preservation of some installation option elections
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 12:09:07 AM »
When you run the program and elect to update when prompted there is an update, the program will start after the update as it's assumed by opening the program in the first place that you intended to run it.

It seems logical to me.

Offline GLykos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 12:06:13 PM »
Sequence of operations here was different.  The updated program was downloaded and then installed on top of the previously-installed version, which was not running.  During that manual (re?)installation, these gaps come to light - lost previous user customized data and an indeterminate startup state.  Try it.

In my experience, preserving such configurable data across reinstallations (manual or automatic) is a de-facto standard convention of contemporary programs.  You'd expect that if you didn't elect to run the program at the conclusion of reinstallation, all would be ready for next time.  As it stands, manual intervention (read:  typing previously-entered data in again) is needed here during installation, and then a cleanup pass running the program is needed to synch the boot startup behavior.

As mentioned, this is a trivial matter, but an on-going nuisance, and seems inconsistent with the high standards that the author maintains (and whose dedication is clearly recognized and valued by the user community).  If you always use automatic program updating, I guess you wouldn't know - now you do.

Thanks for team's consideration.

Online Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 12:54:38 PM »
You only get auto program updating with the Pro version but my Pro runs with the default settings and other than having to red cross out the file check for the program to open on one the machines it is installed on, I don't have any problems.

Occasionally the file check will report corruption so then I will reinstall on top of the existing install.

I accept that the program opens on installation - it isn't the only program that does that.

Offline GLykos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 03:13:06 PM »
The installation closes with an option to run (or not) the just-installed program upon completion.  Not selected, the program still loads.  If you then restart the computer, the program (or at least its icon) loads again (even though not requested by the user to do so)  This is illogical, as you would say...

The program checks self-integrity every time it starts (and makes a show of it, all of which is fine), and if a related issue is detected and reported, the user can take appropriate action (if the program hasn't already done so).

Beyond that, your several replies are incomplete with respect to the two items originally enumerated for consideration.  I follow that you may not see a problem by the way that you do like to do things - thanks for sharing.

That said, please pass along the original request - thanks!

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 03:21:10 PM by GLykos »

Online Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 02:31:17 AM »
Will do.

Online Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 01:36:03 PM »
Your suggestions have been taken on board and added to the queue for updates to the program.

anything