Author Topic: Can't Open Any Google Sites After Running Windows Repair Program  (Read 924 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Drlauren

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: Nov 2017
  • Posts: 2
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Can't Open Any Google Sites After Running Windows Repair Program
« on: November 03, 2017, 08:04:59 AM »
I was having trouble with my network adapter staying connected to the internet. It showed my computer was connected to the modem and all other devices are working fine. I did a search of the problem and came across a post with the same issue that directed me to your Windows Repair Program. It had resolved his issue. Unfortunately, running the program didn't fix my network adapter problem but it created another one. For the short spurts the internet does come up, I am unable to access any Google websites. Other sites come up without any problems but anything Google related won't open. I went in to settings to give permission for google.com but it still won't work. What did the repair program change and how do I change it back?

Offline Drlauren

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: Nov 2017
  • Posts: 2
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Open Any Google Sites After Running Windows Repair Program
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 08:07:14 AM »
My computer is an HP Pavillion running Windows 10.

Offline Boggin

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2014
  • Posts: 7423
  • Location: UK
  • Karma: 108
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Open Any Google Sites After Running Windows Repair Program
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 09:57:49 AM »
Part of Windows Repair is to reset the winsock which usually resolves website connectivity problems, so you shouldn't be getting that problem.

When you are unable to get a website from a Google search, do you get an error message or a Fixit button ?

Use the program to boot into Safe Mode and start the program.

Click on Backup Tools and under Registry Backup click on Restore.

Click on Registry Restore then use the dropdown to select the dated back up then click on Restore Now.

As other devices can connect okay then it probably isn't a modem channel setting but specific to your computer.

This could be DNS, driver or network adapter related.

You haven't said if this is wireless or Ethernet connected or if your machine has been upgraded from another version of Windows.

If it's a wireless problem, do you get the same problem when Ethernet connected.

My two Win 10 laptops were upgraded from Win 7 but I find that Win 7 wireless drivers work better than the Realtek 31 March 2016 driver that Win 10 installs.

If this problem has followed a Windows update such as the Fall Creators Update then it may have changed your driver.

Right click on the Start button and select Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices and expand Network adapters - but check for any yellow alerts.

Right click on whichever you are using and select Update driver - Browse my computer - Let me choose...

You may have to scroll through a list to click on Network adapters or it may take you straight there.

If you have more than one driver listed, click on one then on Next and then see if the connectivity improves - if not then repeat the process to select another driver.

Right click on the Start button and open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter these cmds -

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

shutdown /r /t 00

After the reboot see if your connectivity is more stable.

If still no good, open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

netcfg -d

shutdown /r /t 00

This cmd resets the network adapters.

After the reboot you will need to reconnect to your SSID via your wireless icon and re-enter the password but go into Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices and ensure that both the wireless and Ethernet adapters are showing

If any are missing then run those two cmds again.

Should it be a DNS thing then go Start - type ncpa.cpl and press enter.

Right click on whichever adapter you are using and select Properties.

Sometimes (TCP/IPv6) can cause connectivity problems so uncheck its box then click on (TCP/IPv4) and then on Properties.

Click on the lower button for Use the following DNS servers then in the top row of boxes type 8.8.8.8 then tab down to the next row and type 8.8.4.4

Check the box to Verify settings upon exit - OK - Close and that will invoke the trouble shooter which should return no problems found.

Those are Google's DNS servers but I use Level Three's 209.244.0.3 and 209.244.0.4

Let me know how you get on with those.




 

anything