Author Topic: Can't get updates tried all I know...Help!  (Read 9335 times)

Offline OhLiz

• View Profile
Can't get updates tried all I know...Help!
« on: November 26, 2017, 04:41:58 pm »
I have a Dell Inspiron 5737 Windows 8.1Pro x64 Core i7 8GB
I believe my problem is from the nut behind the keyboard. I have many files that need to be replaced but I have no idea how and what they are. I don't want windows 10, and I had a Microsoft Technician stop the windows 10 from updating back when it was aggressively updating on PC's, he removed a lot of files(updates) from working. So I don't know if that is why things started to go downhill. I have been getting a hard drive failure when testing it, but it was still working good. I have done some cleaning and maintenance and probably messed things up dealing with the registry.
So I need someone who can see if I can repair these problems or if I need to get a new hard drive which Dell tells me do, but they didn't try to see or fix anything. I need to know or try repairs first.
 I appreciate any help or information!
Thank you!
Liz

Offline surlyjoe

• View Profile
Re: Can't get updates tried all I know...Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 05:27:42 pm »
did you try running the windows repair tool off the front page? be sure to boot into safe mode  in step 1

Offline OhLiz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 05:59:15 pm »
Hi surlyjoe!
Oh yes, I have that on my PC, I use it in safe mode. You can see the attachment missing files is from it.
I ran repairs for windows update in the repair section before, but it still doesn't work.
Thank you
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 06:15:16 pm by OhLiz »

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 12:02:37 am »
I have a Dell Inspiron 5737 Windows 8.1Pro x64 Core i7 8GB
I believe my problem is from the nut behind the keyboard. I have many files that need to be replaced but I have no idea how and what they are. I don't want windows 10, and I had a Microsoft Technician stop the windows 10 from updating back when it was aggressively updating on PC's, he removed a lot of files(updates) from working. So I don't know if that is why things started to go downhill. I have been getting a hard drive failure when testing it, but it was still working good. I have done some cleaning and maintenance and probably messed things up dealing with the registry.
So I need someone who can see if I can repair these problems or if I need to get a new hard drive which Dell tells me do, but they didn't try to see or fix anything. I need to know or try repairs first.
 I appreciate any help or information!
Thank you!
Liz

Hi Liz,

While we're waiting for someone more experienced to give you specific advice, I'd urge you to ensure that you have a backup strategy in place and that all your important files are backed up before you do anything else. If Dell tell you that your drive is defective, it is likely to fail at any time and put all your data at risk. If you don't have a strategy in place, you can at the minimum copy your important documents across to writable dvd(s) or USB drives in the interim but I would recommend you use something like Macrium Reflect https://www.macrium.com/reflect free or my favourite paid solution Casper 10 from FSS who I know are having a 50% off Black Monday deal today only https://www.fssdev.com/shop/ (I have absolutely no connection with them, just used them for years) to create a system image or bootable clone. Good luck!
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 12:25:25 am »
With 168KBs in bad sectors then you should take Still_Game's advice and immediately create a system image onto an external HDD.

When you have that many bad sectors they can escalate very quickly to the point of complete failure.

After you have replaced and restored onto a new HDD then I would advise using the Refresh option which will keep your personal stuff but you will need to reinstall any 3rd party programs.

You could take the machine into a repair shop who'll be able to do all of this for you - finances permitting.

There was no point in Dell trying to fix your system with a failing HDD.

Offline OhLiz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 12:34:57 pm »
Still_Game, Thank you so much for the advice and links, I like the Casper 10 and the price. God bless you!  ♥

Boggin, I did notice that in the bad sectors, and it failed the Smart short self test, and now the targeted read test in diagnostics too. In Task Manager the disk is at 100% most of the time, mostly Windows problem reporting, Windows Modules Installer Worker, and antimalware. I've been having One Drive running saving everything and it's taking a long time. Dell also saved everything for me on my external hard drive, they're waiting for me to decide when to send the box to send the laptop to them, which I am very reluctant to do. I have a credit account with Dell so it's easier to have them fix it. I've installed a hard drive myself before on another laptop, I just need to be helped getting the operating system back etc. I have an Operating System disc of Windows 8, Windows 8 recovery media, but I don't remember the correct steps in using it.  I need to find all my keys and write them down too. But I just wanted to try to get this working better if I can.
Thank you for the information  :smiley:
Liz

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 01:49:11 pm »
I've recently replaced a HDD on one of my Win 10 laptops because I was getting confusing results from a number of disk analysis programs but I'd created a full system image using Windows own create a system image and booted up with a Win 10 install disk to navigate to the advanced boot options to select restore with an image.

These are the steps for Win 8, but surely you will be using Win 8.1 now ?

https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-8/

This one for Win 8.1 - http://www.itprotoday.com/windows-server/windows-81-tip-use-system-image-backup

If you are using Win 8.1 then it would be best to create Win 8.1 install media which can do from here -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows8

To boot up with an USB then you will need to go into what is probably an UEFI BIOS and disable Secure Boot as well as changing the boot order.

When booting up with an install disk or USB to navigate to the advanced boot options, when you get to the Install screen, click on Repair your computer bottom left.

Offline OhLiz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 06:14:30 pm »
Hi Boggin,
I'm downloading the Win 8.1 now from the link you gave me, I also found a Windows 8.1 disk image I made in 2014, would that be of any use now? I also have file history on another external hard drive it was updated maybe earlier this year. And one drive is 57% done....ugh
Thank you again and again :)
Liz

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 01:31:25 am »
Yes, that previous install disk should be okay but a newer won't harm.

A newer system image would be preferable if you have added anything since then but you can always back up any personal stuff separate.

The older image may be better though as that could precede the bad sectors and probably better to restore with when you get the new HDD.

Offline OhLiz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 11:51:00 am »
Hi Boggins,
Well I'm on my old Windows 7 laptop. I had the other on for days and nights trying to get the one drive finished. The creation media downloaded and I thought it was finished when it started to check files so I left it on last night again, this morning it was stuck at 18% and hasn't changed but one drive is at 67%. So I gave it a rest for now and I'll start over with the creation media on this PC. I don't have any blank dvd's on hand do you think it can overwrite one I don't need? I have old office 2010 saved on it,  its on a DVD+R . I was hoping I didn't have to go out.
Thank you!
Liz

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 01:21:28 pm »
No, the DVD would need to be a rewritable one - once a -R or +R have been written to then that's it.

Offline OhLiz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 02:30:37 pm »
I got it quickly on my Windows 7 PC and saved it on a usb flash drive.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 03:02:37 pm »
So have you found all of your product keys and ready to send it back to Dell ?

Offline OhLiz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 05:27:24 pm »
No, I want to try everything I can first, if I can repair, reinstall and see how it's going. But I'm almost done with the one drive, it's slow. I am very reluctant in sending it in the mail to Dell, I'd rather put it in myself and get help reinstalling. As long as I can get the same size hard drive from them, I have a 1TB now but I don't see any in there site with my service code for my model. I did a disk clean up and it's doing a little better, it cleaned 9GB! I used cccleaner earlier this month so I don't understand where it all came from. The restart is showing update and restart, and I have to see what happens there. Do you know anything about repairing using DISM and a resource?
Liz

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 01:56:17 am »
I recently replaced a HDD in one of my Toshiba laptops and got one from ebay but that was from an UK company as I'm in the UK.

I went into Device Manager and initially Googled for the model number of the HDD which was for a 640GB HDD.

The only one I found had one review where it said it failed after three weeks - so didn't bother with one from there.

My next step was to Google for one for the make and model of laptop and found a 1TB one almost half the price of that 640GB one and that arrived within three days of placing my order.

There is a Dism cmd you can use for the system files but I can't see the point of trying to repair a system on a failing HDD as more and more will become corrupt.

That cmd is -

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

You would normally follow that with a sfc /scannow to see if any corruption remains.

There are others as you can see from this article - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-GB/library/hh824869.aspx

The most commonly used are /scanhealth and /checkhealth

Some have found problems when using the offline cmd with a mounted image as in the article.

Instead of using any of the full cmd offline ones with the source, you can boot up with install media and when you get to the Install screen, click on Repair your computer and navigate through the advanced boot options to select Command Prompt.

At the prompt enter bcdedit |find "osdevice"

That is a Pipe symbol before find and is the uppercase of \

Using the partition letter that gives instead of the X I have used, enter this cmd -

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=X:\ /offwindir=X:\Windows

You need to use the bcdedit cmd as it doesn't always see the volume as being in C: in this mode.

That will compare the system files from the install media and repair as necessary.

Its possible that 9GB came from either obsolete updates by cleaning out the WinSxS folder or the Windows.old folder which would have been a leftover from when you upgraded to Win 8.1 - but you would normally have to physically check its box as it wouldn't normally be default checked.

It would normally only list that and Windows Update after the Disk Cleanup's first pass and then you would need to click on Clean system files.

There is another dism cmd which will clean out the WinSxS folder which you would run before the /restorehealth one and that is -

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

This can sometimes take a while to complete and is incorporated into Shane's Windows Repair program.

It can be cancelled in the program if it does seem to be taking a very long time and holding up the rest of the repairs.