Author Topic: Improvements for Windows Repair  (Read 3706 times)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Improvements for Windows Repair
« on: August 31, 2017, 06:20:56 AM »
- The GUI of WR (v4.04) can be improved in a number of ways. See also the picture in the attachment.

- Change the "Go to step 1" button. See the 2 red Arrows on the right hand side of the screen for an idea how to do it.
- Make sure that ALL "Next" & "Previous" buttons (with the arrows) in EVERY tab, are ALL placed at precisely the same spot in the GUI. That's currently not the case. In the "Backup tools" and "Repairs main" tabs the buttons with the arrows are placed slighty more to the bottom right hand side of the screen.
- Same story for the "Help" button. See the 3rd red Arrow.

- Make sure, that in the default set up configuration, the color of the tabs that are not active have a (slightly) different (= lighter) color than the active tab/tabs. Currently the color difference is too small. I find that a little bit too confusing. See the green arrows.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:39:54 AM by Willy2 »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Re: Improvements for Windows Repair
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 06:38:01 AM »
- I think that the "Repair - Main", "Advanced Repairs", "Advanced Tools" and the "Settings" tabs also should have "Next" and "Back" buttons. All placed at precisely the same spot in the GUI. (Of course, the "Settings" tab shouldn''t have a "Next" button).

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 09:12:47 AM »
I'll pass this on for you.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 09:38:34 AM »
- I think I need to clarify a few things:

- I also think the "Next" & "Previous" buttons should be the same in every tab. Like my proposal in the picture attached.
- The background (color) of "Go to step 1" should be the same as the rest of the tab. The picture in reply #1 shows a different lighter color. This is the result of some crude "cut, copy & paste" done by myself. I have to make do with "MS Photo Editor". That program suffices for my simple editing needs.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 09:57:44 AM »
In my email to Shane, I have copied a link to your thread so he will see all of your comments.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 12:55:46 PM »
- There's another thing that can be improved in Windows Repair (WR) and it has to do with the process called "Explorer.exe". This is NOT something that causes Windows to (completely) "crash". It simply makes one program behave differently.

-I have a program installed called "Classic Shell".
http://www.classicshell.net/

When WR cleans the thumbs cache ("Repair Icons") on my Win 7 system then WR:
1) first "kills" the process called "Explorer.exe" with the MSDOS command "taskkill ........... ".
2) removes the thumb nail caches
3) and then re-starts "Explorer.exe" (MSDOS: "Start Explore.exe")

The problem is that then Classic Shell doesn't properly work anymore. I can use Classic Shell but then the behaviour has changed. The normal behaviour of Classic Shell is restored after I re-start my win 7 system.

- This problem doesn't occur when I use Task Manager to 1) kill "Explorer.exe" and 2) re-start Explorer.exe  again afterwards.
It seems that Task Manager executes some additional commands/tasks that allows Classic Shell to close itself without causing problems. I know that Windows issues socalled "Events" when it is about to do something that's could have/has a major impact on programs running. I know that one of those events is issued when Windows restarts the process called "Explorer.exe". I could imagine that WR should issue/send out such a "warning"/event as well when WR is about to "kill" Explorer.exe as well. Then programs, like Classic Shell" can prepare themselves better for "Explorer.exe" to be killed.

- I would appreciate when Tweaking - at least - would have a look at this problem. Perhaps there's a simple fix/solution for this problem ? Perhaps adding a (small) delay already would help to solve this ?

- Do readers of this post have other programs that don't function as they should when "Explorer.exe" is killed and re-started (in "Repair Icons") ?

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 11:00:30 PM »
- When Windows Repair starts then it runs (a stripped down version of ??) CLEANMEM. Suggestion: Add a weblink to the appropriate PcWinTech webpage in the logfile of Windows Repair.Then hopefully more people will start using CLEANMEM.

Offline ergo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 08:14:44 AM »
How can I do a repair job when Tweaking started the process of destroying my Win 10 computer?

Posted under feedback

I have purchased both version 3 and 4.  I installed the latest update and then did a prescan, and performed the update.  Tweaking locked up for 24 hours, causing me to reboot.  Then, when I opened it again Tweaking announced I had an MSD hash incompatibility and it refused to let me in.

Restoring the computer from Windows Restore did no good, my PC was totally messed up.

Why wouldn't tweaking let me in at that point so I could see if a restore worked?

At that point, being desperate I tried to restore my C drive using an Acronis 2018 mirror.  That destroyed my hard drive.  Actually, it reformatted it and Acrois support won't fix it.

So now I'm using my old Windows 8 computer, and *.* tweaking won't even let me use it or update it since I don't have Pro.  Well, you destroy my PC and then you want me to buy a license from the old one?

And why on earth did you lock me out of Tweaker 4 because of an MSI conflict that you created?

I've wasted 3 days now, working late into the night trying to find a fix.  Do I have to buy a new computer now?

Rani

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 09:05:19 AM »
It sounds like your HDD was already failing which caused problems and the lock up.

Download and create a bootable SeaTools for DOS disk and scan the HDD with that to see what it reports.

https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-dos-master/

You can use ImgBurn to create the disk from the ISO - http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/imgburn.html

If you had the v4 Pro licence on the failed computer, as that is a one machine licence then you won't be able to use that product key for your Win 8 machine unless you email support@tweaking.com and explain the circumstances to reactivate it for your Win 8 machine - but it will then be tied to that machine..

You should be able to reinstall Windows Repair.

You can occasionally get problems when it checks its own files and a reinstall will resolve that.

I don't know why it happens, but I've had that error a few times.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 08:30:19 AM »
When WR runs this repair then the following happens:
1) the process called "Explorer.exe" is killed/closed
2) the thumbcaches are deleted/removed.
3) then WR searches all logical drives for the file called "thumbs.db" (these are generated by Win XP and Vista (????)) and those files are then deleted.
4) The process "Explorer.exe" is re-started.

Suggestion to improve the program code:
- first determine which OS the user has and based on that let WR search only for the files called "thumbs.db" when the user has a XP or a Vista system. In all other cases let WR delete the thumbcaches only.

(this is based on the assumption that only Win 7 and newer use those thumbnailcaches and that the file "thumbs.db" is used only in XP and Vista.)

Another suggestion (independent from the previous one):
- Restart the process "Explorer.exe" before WR starts to remove the "thumbs.db" files.

- I also think that the programcode for the removal of the "thumbs.db" files needs to be improved. I think the code needs a few small but IMPORTANT code changes. Including 2 extra spaces at 2 particular spots. Because I am NOT convinced the current code is able "to do the job".

(@Boggin: Please pass this onto Shane)

anything