Author Topic: lost files  (Read 588 times)

Offline satrow

• View Profile
Re: lost files
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2018, 11:47:15 AM »
All DDR2 memory sticks have the notch in the exact same position, it's part of the standards laid out before they went into production. Same goes for the other DDR* series. It's impossible to fit one into a slot built for another without causing breakage to RAM, slot, or both. Even if you made use of a file to remove the 'pip' inside the slot, I'm pretty sure the contacts wouldn't line up and the PC would fail a BIOS check, I very much doubt it would get as far as attempting to boot to Windows..

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2018, 12:29:07 PM »
All DDR2 memory sticks have the notch in the exact same position, it's part of the standards laid out before they went into production. Same goes for the other DDR* series. It's impossible to fit one into a slot built for another without causing breakage to RAM, slot, or both. Even if you made use of a file to remove the 'pip' inside the slot, I'm pretty sure the contacts wouldn't line up and the PC would fail a BIOS check, I very much doubt it would get as far as attempting to boot to Windows..

thanks. i must be making mistake, duhh

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2018, 01:25:10 AM »
so would u confirm pls  that if i order DDR2 [ignoring the other numbers] it will at physically fit. i know there is the speed/make/size consideration as well but for my very old machines a mix and match approach works. on a good pc i'd choose carefully

thanx

Offline satrow

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2018, 01:50:14 AM »
DDR2 sticks will fit DDR2 slots. Ensure all sticks are as close as possible in terms of base DDR2 standards and frequencies and that they're all either single- or dual-sided.

Best to check the specs on the 'board maker's QVL list for RAM tested in 4's (Qualified Vendor List, which will contain many more pairs of RAM than quads, the lists are never fully comprehensive, most aren't updated once the 'board goes on sale) for sticks that most resemble your 'good' ones.

Best compatibility/results will always be on matched pairs/quads that most resemble those in the QVL at, or closest to, the max. memory capacity of the 'board.

Checking RAM for that 'board on the Crucial comparator is often quite educational.

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2018, 02:15:32 AM »
very informative, thanx

anything