Author Topic: Beta Repair System Restore  (Read 98906 times)

Offline elaina

• View Profile
Re: Beta Repair System Restore
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2015, 02:42:12 AM »
Shane,

As advised before , I ran windows repair v3.4.1 in safe mode twice and this didn't fix the issue.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2015, 06:19:55 AM »
Please start a new thread so I can help you :wink:

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline MSchi

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2016, 05:28:00 AM »
Hi, i run the WIndows Repair but he failed ...... now i run the beta repair. can you help me?

Done, but failed, at (04.01.2016 14:01:19)
   Total Repair Time: 00:00:32

The current repair has failed to start 9 times.
Something is keeping the repair from running.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2016, 05:58:05 AM »
Are you running the latest version in Safe Mode with Networking as your antivirus program could be blocking.

Offline MSchi

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2016, 09:02:49 AM »
Are you running the latest version in Safe Mode with Networking as your antivirus program could be blocking.

YEs exactly!

Offline alouey

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2016, 02:22:14 AM »
Missasip1938, this is a thread on how the repair system restore tool works, not the rest of the program. Was system restore working before or after the repair?

Willy2, that DLL is a system restore component and should be in your system32 folder.

Shane

I don't know whether this is the right place to post this so if I wrong then apologies in advance.

So I recently read an article in Computer Active regarding the solution Windows repair. I ran the program and all seemed to be good although it identified some 46 areas that require repair. I did the backup as recommend by you. The repairs took around 12 hours to complete but long story short It appeared to complete.
I then went on to use the Beta Restore repair tool. For some reason the repair completed however after the reboot there appeared to be some corruption on some programs (example IE11) the certificates on known websites didn’t function. And streaming failed on YouTube. I thought that somehow the corruption was due to the repairs so I tried to do system restore but after several failed attempts I did some research on failed certificates.
I then had a eureka moment as it turns out somehow during the repair(s) the system time and date got changed. Simple solution was to reset the time and date to current time. Problem solved.

I thought I’d let you know just in case this is a bug (undocumented feature) in the solution.
 :omg: Andy

makinero

« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2016, 07:49:44 AM »
A restore point is never the best way to undo system changes.
You have some problems with the system and would like to undo the changes and System Restore fail.

It sounds fun, but it should be:
"Restore: System Restore Point".
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 07:52:34 AM by makinero »

Offline alouey

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2016, 11:59:26 AM »
makinero  If your replying to my post I'm sorry but I don't understand you post

makinero

« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2016, 01:17:03 PM »
Example scenario:

On a computer that is running Windows 7 created a system restore point by using System Restore.
     Installed update 2572077, and then installed update 2446710 or 2518869.
     You start the computer using installation media for Windows 7 or Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE).
     The user is trying to restore the system to set up a system restore point using the System Recovery Options menu.

In this scenario, System Restore fails. Moreover returned the following error message:
E_UNEXPECTED (0x8000FFFF)
---------------------------

Try to update the fixes to the system with Windows Update.
OR

For OEM system
Automated Installation Kit (AIK) Windows® Windows® 7 with the addition

or

Hotfix KB2732500

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2016, 01:37:47 PM »
@Alouey:
- Slight misunderstanding: Windows Repair doesn't "recommend" or "identify" problems on your system. Windows consists of a number of components and TRIES to fix/repair those components. Each repair can fix one or more important parts of Windows. And all those components have to work together to make Windows work. If you don't know what's ailing your system then simply run all repairs.
- System Restore is a wonderful tool if & when it works. Otherwise it's a REAL "pain in the **s". In that regard I would recommend to install Tweaking's Registry Backup. Some 95% of all errors occur in the registry and then having a backup of the registry is VERY helpful. It has saved my (computer) bacon some 6 to 7 times in the past.
- In previous versions a Windows component used by System Restore would be broken by running "the "Registering System files" on a Vista system (Do you have Vista ?). But that bug has been fixed in the new version of WR (v3.81).

Offline alouey

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2016, 02:30:26 PM »
hi makinero

I now understand your reply
To explain further:

I downloaded windows repair due to slow running possible missing windows components. As I said in my post. I ran the solution and it found 40 odd errors which took around 12 hours to run. Just in case there were errors in the sys restore I ran the Beta version. I found that at the end of the process I was getting some errors such as certificates not valid on most website I visited, streaming not working.

So thinking that the fixes Id ran had corrupted the system I tried sys restore which failed. having tried to do the restore several times without success I did some research on what causes issues with certificates and found that on some occasions the system time was out of sink. Which in my case it was the system time and date. I wasn't sure  if by running the windows repair solution it had a bug which might have changed the system date and time because it was fine before running the solution.

Just in case and for the benefit of windows repair users that may have had a similar experience I did this post:
 should user of windows repair have a similar issue eg certificates not valid,  then one of the things they should check is the system time and if its wrong reset time and date to current time and date.   

I hope that's clear.....

PS:  before I make any changes to my system I always create a restore point and backup the registry.

Thank you for you kind response. Andy   :wink:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 02:37:44 PM by alouey »

makinero

« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2016, 03:24:11 PM »
HotFix:

x86

http://www.microsoft.com/pl-pl/download/details.aspx?id=30621

x64

http://www.microsoft.com/pl-pl/download/details.aspx?id=30612

install, restart the system and check the system recovery.
Note: Required Service Pack 1

You can also do the following:

Code: [Select]
sfc /scannow
download tool
Code: [Select]
SFCFix.exe
and: Microsoft System Update Readiness Tool
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_system_update_readiness_tool.html
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 03:26:53 PM by makinero »

Offline mecanicogolf

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2016, 07:12:37 PM »
Hey Shane,

I tried the Beta Repair. Not good. Got a Blue Screen!!! Had to roll back to another point in time.

If you have any questions...FIRE.

mecanicogolf
mecanicogolf

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2016, 06:54:46 PM »
I got question can you find the event log with the blue screen I want to see what that says it should show up as a critical.
Julian

Offline mecanicogolf

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2016, 11:12:11 AM »
Sorry. I have no information about what happened. I was so scared and upset that this happened that I had to revert back and fast. Of course, as you know, my tweaking.com backup did me absolutely no good as I could not even startup the computer! Ended up inserting the Win 7 DVD to restart.

Don´t know what this beta was supposed to do but I will never tamper with it again.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 07:10:50 PM by mecanicogolf »
mecanicogolf