Author Topic: S.M.A.R.T ain't so smart with WD HDD's  (Read 4904 times)

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
S.M.A.R.T ain't so smart with WD HDD's
« on: February 01, 2013, 05:18:40 PM »
Heads up for anyone who is lucky enough to have a Western Digital HDD:

S.M.A.R.T. kept telling me that my WD2500BEVT drive had excessive "Reapportioned Sectors". (initial 400; 140 trigger; 136 current)  I researched WD website and found that S.M.A.R.T. is not ubiquitous;  it doesn't always know that about which it is warning concerning Western Digital HDD's!

I downloaded a wonderful test software from their site: "Data LifeGuard Diagnostic for Windows".  I fully tested (1-1/4 hours) my HDD with the WD program and it Passed!  I'm good-to- go, so to speak.  I can't turn-off S.M.A.R.T.; However, I did tell it not to warn me, again, about this problem.

Hope that this will help someone else who has the same warning from S.M.A.R.T.!  http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612&sid=3

Bubba Euler

Offline peterr

• View Profile
Re: S.M.A.R.T ain't so smart with WD HDD's
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 11:38:43 AM »
Run the Dell Support Center at Dell or download it to test your hard drive's S.M.A.R.T feature individually, or as an alternative, run the diagnostics with the F12 key.
The former is the more specific regarding S.M.A.R.T.

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
Re: S.M.A.R.T ain't so smart with WD HDD's
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 06:32:06 AM »
Thanks, Shane.  I'll check out the Dell download.  I assume that the F12 key is accessed during boot.  I'll try it, as well.

Your current Facebook description of your planned Father's Day makes me smile.  Home made Beef Jerkey!!!   Wow...