Author Topic: Com+ System Application will not start - Windows 7  (Read 25512 times)

Offline barryman

• View Profile
Com+ System Application will not start - Windows 7
« on: April 26, 2013, 12:04:50 pm »
I am running Windows 7 Ultimate edition 32 bit and have a problem with the COM+ System Application. It is showing as stopped but when I go to start it I get a message "error 1053" about not starting in a timely fashion. I do not know what to do to get this app started but I think it is causing my system restore utility to malfunction. The Com+ Event System is OK , so is the Volume Shadow Copy ok.

Any ideas on how to fix/replace the COM+ Sys App??  (I have already tried a Repair Install from my Windows disk but made no difference)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Com+ System Application will not start - Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 12:10:59 pm »
OK looks like it is a .net problem

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839174

SO here is my trick to trully reinstall .net

Use the .net removal tool
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx

This bad boy truly gets rid of .net. Once done reboot then go to windows updates to get .net installed again.

And these will be of some help as well to try
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/asiatech/archive/2010/02/22/how-to-troubleshoot-the-red-arrow-issue-in-component-services.aspx
and
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd300287%28WS.10%29.aspx

Let me know how it turns out :wink:

Shane

Offline barryman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 02:18:04 pm »
Shane - this all looks like a can of worms to a non-tech like me... a little above my competence level. I am afraid I will do some damage if I try following this cleanup tool instructions.

I just checked on my pc and I seem to have 5 different .NET installations from v.1.0 up to the latest (on my system), v.4.3.30319. I am afraid that if I start messing around with any of these I'll do more damage that I won't be able to roll back!!

Also, I looked at the "help" advice on Microsoft Knowledge base and it might as well have been written in Swahili for all I can understand of it!!!!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:19:51 pm by barryman »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 03:11:37 pm »
I use the removal tool all the time. Once done you can simply reinstall .net :wink:

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 06:31:07 pm »
Hi, I also suggest the same. Yesterday i found that network frame from microsoft may give this problem. I suggest , that you uninstall all the net frame work in your computer by suggested tool by Shane, and then reinstall the latest one from microsoft. I hope it will fix the problem.
the link is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839174 as already given by Shane
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:37:14 pm by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline barryman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 11:59:52 pm »
So, before I decide to try this operation, can I be clear on something.

The download link from MSoft seems to be for .NET Framework 1.1 
I have versions 1 to 4 on my pc so, if I use the cleaning tool you described, will that only cleanse the v. 1.1 and then do I reinstall the new downloaded version 1.1 ???  Or, does having v.4.something make a difference to what I do??

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 02:09:48 am »
Hi,  It is meant you uninstall all the versions from the computer. And then go to the microsoft to install the latest applicable net frame work to your operating system. There is no harm in this try. You are uninstalling and reinstalling. Thats it . The net work you have got installed may be due to some programs downloaded needs those version.

Offline barryman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 03:22:26 am »
can I just use Revo Uninstaller to take off the v.4. that seems there? Only v4 shows up on the Revo uninstall program although Windows Explorer shows other versions as well (see screenshot attached)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 03:36:26 am »
Hi, Have you looked at add and remove program or programs in windows 7. If they are there you could as well uninstall using remove or uninstall button there.

Offline barryman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 04:05:41 am »
Yes, but my point is:  only v4 is listed so if I remove that and reinstall only the v. 1.1 on the MS website, what will be the result.? I would not have version 4 from anywhere?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 04:36:48 am »
Hi, You could safely remove all the instances and keep the latest one . It is always best. and i add one more suggestion. One of my friends suggested the following try this also
(Try to start System Restore vom within ISO /bootable USB or DVD. So it helped me one time. )
Shane, I want your idea on the above, as i am not a programmer. I will try to get the exact meaning of the above in my next post

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 07:27:25 am »
HI, again i enclose a reply from my friend. If it is useful , then you will get rid off this problem of system restore

Offline barryman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 08:59:31 am »
tHE DOWNLOAD FROM MEGA.CO.NZ NEEDS A CODE ENTERED JUST TO DOWNLOAD IT!

Offline barryman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 11:29:19 am »
I have a thought.....  is it possible to partition my 320 gb hard disk (currently unpartitioned with OS and Data both on one single partition) and then do a clean install of Windows 7 onto a newly created partition??

Would I then have the choice of which OS I boot into?? If I could do this I could see if all functions work properly on the new version and then I could possibly delete the old version and unpartition disk again. Is this technically possible?? Obviously a complete single reformat of disk and install is the very last option I would consider.....

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 06:51:27 pm »
I tried to send  the my links tool via this forum. But i got an error message, that it is not possible to send the same. Tried to message it. It does not allow any attachment. If a email is given, i will send it thro gmail. The file size is about 2 m.b. size. I want to help. my friend has given me the link which barryman could not download. I could download. Shane would this be allowed

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 03:45:46 pm »
Wow sorry I haven't replied in the last 48 hours. Been just slammed!

The .net removal tool will remove all earlier versions as well. So no worries. The older versions of .net are already built into windows and when you install .net 4 they will get put back.

Lets just stick to what I want you to do first as I am wanting to make a repair if I can get you fixed, so no jumping ahead lol

Shane

Offline barryman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 11:50:22 pm »
Hi Shane - OK, before I jump in at the deep end here, please just answer the following so I know what I am doing...

1) Attached screenshot shows that I apparently have quite a few versions of .net framework from 1,0 to 4.xxxx

2) If I use the cleanup tool that I have now downloaded (dotnetfx_cleanup.exe) , will it remove all of the .NET versions on my drive and if so, is that OK ??

3) I have found MSoft's latest version .NET 4 and downloaded it. After the cleanup operation with the "dotnetfx" , do I just install the latest version of .NET or do I have to download and install v 1, 2, 3, and 4 as well??

I won't do anything till I have heard from you as I need to be sure what I am doing before I potentially bugger up the whole lot!!!

Also, as a side issue, I have been trying to install a new USB printer and it will not install. Could the .NET problem be affecting this as well??

Cheers, Barry

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 04:26:57 am »
HI, barryman,  The answer from Shane is pinpointed and you could safely delete all the versions from your pc and then install the latest from the microsoft. The newest version, will contain the features of all the previous versions with the improved updates in the software. So, it is better suggested, that you uninstall all and reinstall the new one. Your problem will be solved.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 01:51:17 pm »
Use the removal tool and reboot. Once rebooted install .net 4, reboot. Then go to Windows updates, it will have updates for .net, get them all installed, of course install all updates.

Once all done let me know how it turns out :wink:

Shane

Offline barryman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 01:57:43 pm »
Hiya Shane and also Jraju

Well, since last posting, what with all the downloads and fix attempts, I really butchered my whole OS. The result was that even I couldn't get W7 to boot up at all and I had to send pc for repair. I have only just got my pc back tonight.

The result is that he reinstalled a new Windows 7 OS which means....wait for it.... that not only do the problems not exist with COM+ etc, but also the System Restore is back working (for how long is anybody's guess!!)

So, with problems gone for the moment I want to thank you both for all your assistance and help. Really appreciated it. However, now I have got it all running sweetly again, I will obviously not muck around if not needed..

Regards

Barry M.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 02:23:01 pm »
Glad your back up and running :-)

From the digging in that I have done the com_ is apart of VSS, which is used by system restore. So at least I can keep digging :-)

Thanks for working with me and take care :wink:

Shane