Author Topic: Will the cd drive show up in windows explorer in the absence of any cd/dvd  (Read 13481 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi,
           In the xp os, the cd drive will be showing up, even when the cd or dvd is not there in the drive. Will the same be show up in windows 7. Moreover, when i tried trouble shooting hardware and devices, i get the message, that "hard ware changes might not have been detected" with an exclamation mark. What does this denote.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline jraju

• View Profile
hi, I am enclosing the log and other texts. I tried your tool for msi and cd fix

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
My repair tools wont help with that.

I am not sure what the problem is though.

You said the cd drive shows up even though there is no cd in it, this is normal. What problem are you having?

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
hi, Shane the problem is just the opposite. It does not show up when there is no cd or dvd in the drive.But in double clicking the computer, it is showing up as dvd rw drive. I ask is this normal in windows 7. I used your tool to fix the cd or dvd missing or not working . Even then the problem persists. So i enclosed the screenshot for your reference.

I think your computer does show the cd drive even when there is no cd or dvd in there. I tried microsoft fix it also.
                   When i insert a cd. it shows in the windows explorer, other wise not. Is this normal

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Isnt this the same drive you have had trouble with in the past?

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, I could able to write and read. That is not the problem. Is your cd drive shown in your windows explorer when there is no cd  in the drive.
     In my computer, this is not shown as a available drive. But when i double click the computer, it shows the drives, including the cd.
      When i insert a pendrive, it shows in the xplorer, and when eject, it vanishes. Like wise, when i insert a cd , then it shows and disappears, when i eject the same.
         I want to know whether this is a default windows 7 settings.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
When you put in a cd it will show the cd name, when you take the cd out the cd drive will still show up. That has been this way since before Windows 95. cd drives don't disappear like thumb drives do.

When you unplug a thumb drive you are unhooking it from the system, that's why it disappears. cd drives are still hooked to the system so they dont disappear when you take a cd out.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
So , my problem is genuine and i want the solution, sir. I had also noted that when i insert pendrive the system assigns a drive letter +2 instead of +1. For eg, instead of g it gives h. What has happened. it is quite interesting to know of the things, that vanishes before your eyes, like magic. What is the solution. I tried your registery tool for cd dvd missing, still could not find my drive.
           I have tried sfc /scannow and also chkdsk /r/f

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Pl see the enclosed file. the drive is shown as g in the computer view, where as in window explorer view, the drive g is missing.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Oh, my god the problem was solved. No tool would work. But this worked for me
   In the Folder Option,in General tab in navigation pane, you have to select to show all folders. Then only this cd drive would show its head. Thanks all. There are so many threads in the google search for this simple thing, but evasive answers to microsoft fix, chkdsk, sfc scannow etc. Oh, what a funny to learn from self experience. I myself tried and it worked

hi, shane, sir, i want your opinion on the small thing, that evades so many users
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 07:04:27 pm by jraju »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ah so the problem was with windows explorer and not my computer. I had trouble understanding what problem you where having :-)

Yes in the folder options there is an option to hide empty drives. I always have mine set to show all.

But I didnt know that applied to cd drives :wink:

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
hi, Shane, sir, i did not mean that option. Please see the General tab, there is option to show all drives. That should be ticked. Screen shot

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Oh, your just talking the left bar in the explorer window. I thought you meant in "My Computer"

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Shane, my dvd again gave me problem of ejecting when i try to click open data dvd. I tried your and microsoft fix for the same. But i could not make any progress. Once i insert the cd , the light goes out and nothing happens. I tried all the registry fix supported by microsoft but no cure. Atlast, in one of their replies, it was said that "net start shellhwdetection" may solve my problem. The command solved the problem and i could read the drive.  By what this  command is connected with cd or dvd. Please tell, if this is also concerned, then you could improve the cd dvd fix. I surfed the net, but could not get the meaning. pl tell
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 10:29:27 pm by jraju »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Shane, I have gone through the net and found it is a service. How it be stopped automatically when the default setting is automatic and i did not meddle with the services entries in the services.msc. Could any virus or third party trojan would have stopped this services. I was thinking of replacing the cd drive, when i chanced upon this solution. Please your comments. i checked the event viewer for these problematic days and found that device cd rom has a bad block. Should that mean , that i have to replace the cd drive itself or cleaning would be enough. I am using this cd drive for more than 7 years. Is there any simple way of cleaning it. Just removing and cleaning the dust .
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:16:19 am by jraju »