Author Topic: Deeper problem RE "Execute processes remotely has stopped working"  (Read 21986 times)

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
Hi Shane - How I found you:  OMG used your program to fix my W7-64b-ultimate did some things to fix firewall, .NET, etc -  - And all seemed to work fine for about 6 weeks on the W7. 

[This problem I am about to describe, I believe has nothing to do with what OMG did, as the same problem showed up on another machine which OMG had nothing to do with.  I have a small environment of several Synology NAS, about 8 XP machines, one W2011 Home Server, and two W7 machines.  - Of course, I have read through (several times) the other thread on your side called:   "Execute processes remotely has stopped working"]

Then, on 5-27 after a reboot this machine could no longer connect to the INTERNET.  It has Malware-bytes anti-virus.  I had not rebooted this box for about two weeks and the only weird software that I installed the week before was something that needed the latest version of iTunes so I installed iTunes also at that time.  I have since done a full virus scan and uninsulated both iTunes and the program that needed iTunes.

Yet, I can not connect to the INTERNET and I can not "run to the finish" your tweaking programs. 

Funny coincidence.  I have another box that uses W7-32b-home-premium and several weeks before the problem with the big box, the W7-32b-home-premium not connect to the INTERNET AND no Tweaking tools would work there either.  Yes did the vscan and tested cable for both boxes up to the cable that goes into them with a third machine that connects fine.

Another hint.  I use a program called Ensign Windows (7 day free trial available at www.ensignsoftware.com and he has a program that normally connects to the INTERNET (but does not NEED the INTERNET) but that will not run on either box.  I called him and he is mystified.  He said it would work if you are connected or not.

Another hint:  When I go into W firewall on either machine I get the message "Update your Firewall settings - Windows Firewall is not using the recommended settings to protect your computer"  And, there is a button there to "Use recommended settings."  When this is pressed, there is an hourglass for about a minute but then, the hourglass goes away and nothing has changed.

If I try Advanced Firewall settings I get "There was an error opening the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security snap-in."  The Windows Firewall can not be turnjed on or off, either.

These above anomalies happened the same on both machines.

Also, on both machines, when I run the Tweaking AIO each process seems to execute for a while (each process starts and I see a command windows open and a log stream in the windows) but near the "end(?)" I get the feared  "Execute processes remotely has stopped working."

Also, on both machines, simple stuff like Aieesoft DVDxxx programs (which never have any problems) are not working on either machine: "Execute processes remotely has stopped working"

HELP!  I am a free cat trapped inside a box with no windows to the INTERNET :).

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 09:52:43 am by FreeCat »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Deeper problem RE "Execute processes remotely has stopped working"
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 08:27:42 pm »
Could be a number of different things. So we will cover multiple bases :-)

It is possible the system is running out of resources, my repair tool doesnt need the internet. The only internet check it does is to check for any new versions and nothing more.

Also if you have a root kit virus on the system that would explain a lot as well.

A lot of root kits hijack the network and so if there is a bad root kit on the system it would explain the internet dropping and the firewall not working.

Download this root kit scanner
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/mbar/

extract it, open it and update it. Then once updated copy the folder to a thumb drive and run it on those systems and let me know if it finds anything and we will go from there :-)

Shane

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 06:01:17 am »
Shane, there is another program called what changed, it might be a good idea to ask people to run that and upload the txt as a attachment too. I think that will conclude the issue. the program is free... similar to OTL

d. Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode with Networking to start Windows into and press Enter.

try to run the below mentioned online scanners.

Run Online Microsoft Safety Scanner

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Click above link, "Download" and Run.

Run TDSKiller to check if any infections affecting the installation.

a. Download the file TDSSKiller.exe from the following link and save it on the Desktop.

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe

b. Double click TDSSKiller.exe to scan the system.

c. Wait for the scan and disinfection process to complete.

d. Once the scan is completed infections will be listed, you will get an option to remove infections. I would request you to remove the infections and shutdown the computer and start again (do not restart the computer).

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 02:34:31 pm »
Hi Shane and Rick - I, first, did the AM-rootkit with no problems - TDSkiller - no problems - MS Security Scanner is running and does not look like it will finish until midnight - But, I do not believe it will find anything as I have had the full Malware Bytes running here for some time before the incident.

So, I am asking if you can think of other things to try?  Thanks to both of you for your help.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 10:24:46 pm »
Are you able to get on the net with safe mode with networking?

Shane

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 10:57:56 pm »
Have to ask;

Have you had a try at using the F8 feature at the bootup;

The one that says (last known good start)

* see if this helps first *

TOO often, to much maintenance will lead to a system crash !!!!!

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 07:08:38 am »
Thanks Shane and Rick,
Safe Mode with networking still does not allow ip access.  Same for last known configuration.
I am not sure if I mentioned this:  ipconfig /all gives "no IP address".
Shane, it is funny, the guys from OMG at first seemed knowable, etc.  They were friendly enough, unlike others.  But, basically, all they know how to do is run Tweaking.com tools.  They are lost and they don't call back at all though they say they will; and, when I call them back all I can get is someone who has been doing this for 2 months wants to start at the beginning and download tweaking.com stuff.

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 08:05:35 am »
Shane, how about, export that part of the reg-code from a clean system; let him compare it and or merge it?

Dude, how about try TCP optimizer to see if it repairs that first ? search Google ok

Also, their is a website with reg-code that disables many features, this may be the culprit too, see below...

Step one; I don't know what you did, or didn't do. if I am in your shoes. I would unistall all the network adapters from the device manager and BE sure to check the software checkbox too to make sure the sofware unistalls too.

then restart my system and see what happens, failing that... you will need to research every possibility from the following and make corrections that apply to you! "group policy settings are difficult to figure out"

Some Examples: research the pages before making any changes!

http://www.registry-files.com/Windows/Security
http://www.antalyatasarim.com/registry/sources/category-31.htm
http://www.antalyatasarim.com/registry/sources/detail-399.htm
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

References for future use;
http://commandwindows.com/reg.htm

I dont know the registry TCP/IP registry keys, so I can not say delete them before restarting. But I would ask shane before rebooting

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 09:01:08 am by Rick »

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 10:46:54 am »
Hi - I tried TCP Optimizer and got the following:
"IDP_INIT_SOCKETS_FAILED
With same option I get at the end of each Tweaking program:
Close program OR Look on INTERNET for a solution and close program.

Also, I did disable and UN-install the network drivers.
I went even further.  I went a purchased a CAT5 Ethernet to USB adapter and tested it on my other W7 system to be sure if worked.  Then, I put it on the broken W7 and installed drivers, etc.  Result was no change - no INTERNET or NAS connections.  Just to be sure that I had not messed anything up, I took that same CAT5 and plugged it into the other system and it was fine.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 10:52:48 am by FreeCat »

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 10:04:51 pm »
That TCP optimizer :)

Searched Google, no references to the error. let me have a look further...

Did you take a look at the links I provided, they show you whre to look for registry problems related too services that are disabled?

Well, seems have a couple choices; (TRY THIS FIRST OK)

Please run a netdiag and see if you have a winsock corruption.
This KB should help you: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259/en-us

netsh winsock reset
netsh ip reset

check the host file first
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852/en-us
"I would not run the fixiot for me programs"
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 10:50:14 pm by Rick »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 11:00:18 am »
Shane, it is funny, the guys from OMG at first seemed knowable, etc.  They were friendly enough, unlike others.  But, basically, all they know how to do is run Tweaking.com tools.  They are lost and they don't call back at all though they say they will; and, when I call them back all I can get is someone who has been doing this for 2 months wants to start at the beginning and download tweaking.com stuff.

That is funny lol I have been running my own computer repair business for over 12 years now and been in computers for 17 years (I'm 34) thus how I started putting my repairs into programs for others to use :-)

Answering posts on two forums and about 50 different people before I got back to hear, so sorry if I repeat myself.

If I remember correctly you said this was happening to a couple of machines, and at the same time. What we need to do is find the common factor between them.

Now one common factor between them is the router or network hardware they are hooked into, while I doubt that is the problem I just want to cover all bases, and a simple test would be to take the computer and plug it in at a location of another system that is working fine and see how it does. This way we can at least count that out.

Also as part of the check list I want you to do a proper power reset on the computers.

Pull the power cord and with them still unplugged hit the power button a few times. When the system tries to turn itself on it will drain all the capacitors on the boards, this is the only way to get a proper power reset without waiting for the power to drain :-)

Lets go from there :-)

Shane

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 12:30:57 pm »
Hi Shane - OK. I did what you said.  Power drain the machines.  Tried each machine in different hubs and tried a working XP laptop in the original hubs and the alternate hubs.

I will give you a diagram of my machines and network:  (none of the problem machines are using wireless)

TIME-WARNER CABLE - HIGH SPEED
 v
link sys wrt 54 (wireless1)
 V
Netgear GS108 ----> Synology NAS 1010+ 510x and Home Server 2011
V  V   V
V  V   NetGear GS108 ----> NetGear RangeMax and (miscel computers and wireless2)
V  NetGear GS108 ----> W7 Home Premium 32b (problem appeared mid May) and miscel machines
V
V
NetGear GS108 ---> W7 Ulltimate 64b and (miscel computers)

So, what to do next?  (BTW, What city are you in/near?  Maybe we could do some other business.  Please pardon me if private.)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 12:46:04 pm »
I am in Oregon :-)

Are the machines having trouble using wireless? If so have you tried turning off wireless and using a network cable as a test?

And I take it the other 2 things had had you do made no changes?

Shane

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 03:29:08 pm »
Howdy Shane and Rick - I got the W7 Home Premium going - I kept going back and back to 4-24 restore point right before a W7 update and and install of iTunes Bojuor and two other pieces of Apple crap ---- which I do not use ---- was favor for my wife in getting stuff off of her iPhone.  Now I do not know what to do about the big system; I thought I went back pretty darn far on that one a week ago.  So, I guess I will go back more.  Ugh. 

So, we still do not know precisely what caused it as there are many possible suspects.

I JUST DON'T WANT IT TO HAPPEN AGAIN!

So, if you have any suggestions besides installing each of those things individually until it fails, let me hear them.  Thanks for all the attention you and Rick have given me so far.

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 07:53:50 pm »
for reference, it would be helpful to know what was installed during those periods. I'm sure we wont be installing them and checking them one by one, but maybe someone can check into them more or perhaps do some comparison to cleanup programs that are downloading and installing problems to our systems causing these nightmares.

Someone should be keeping a log!

Shane; for reference, is there a program that will explain all the registry changes any particular program will make before I install my program?
seems you should have this feature on your website!

then, your website be more valuable service if it could analyze the program is safe or malicious before installed... sure, there is some websites to check for viruses, but one file at a time :( the whole program is what is needed here!

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 05:02:11 pm »
Howdy Rick and Shane - I disabled the on-board NIC and put in a newer Netgear card.  It pretty much installed the drivers by itself.  I did some more of what Rick mentioned re Mr. Fixit and the firewall is now somehow green for the first time.  top section and bottom section is green; previously there was not any top or bottom section; there was only the message "Adjust your firewall settings" with a big red mark on the left; but no adjustment was possible --- no dialog opened when pressing the "adjust" button.

I ran the tweaking firewall fix but it took a VERY long time (maybe an hour).  I rebooted and still no connection.  Still lost.  anyfurther suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 11:16:12 pm »
Hi, bring your laptop to a public or friends place and see if it can login to internet. Thank you!

Your Internet Service Provider had a look yet? (LOL)

After you re-installed the new network card; did you RUN TCPoptimizer again so it can configure the new Network card?
Note: BTW, learn how to set up the TCPoptimizer customs settings based on your network speed ok! It will help to solve more problems! I have it set to open 16 connections…

Try from run command; type ncpa.cpl
what is the status of the connection, is there a red X ?
choose right click for options.
open the properties and Check to see that the IPv6 and IPv4 are enabled.

# Note: Some users have there systems setup to not use the internet; Government employees for example.

To confirm reset; open a cmd prompt in administrator;
Type;     one command at a time and hit enter

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt     
 netsh winsock reset catalog
 netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
 netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

in the command prompt. it will take a minute to complete. then a reboot is required.

if still failed;

type:

ipconfig /all
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew "local area connection"

A reboot is not required

if further problems occur;
ipconfig /all
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

This will be my last entry in this post; confirm each TCPIP default key parameters...
msdn.microsft.com/en-us/library/aa922356.aspx

Here is something to consider giving a try; it works in offline mode :) "I am not suggesting to downlaod this version from this website, I am suggesting to read the material they provide to see if it fits you trying this method, "which I would try"; if so, I would search and download the program from a MSFT server and then have a try     http://www.ihaveapc.com/2012/04/how-to-fix-windows-troubles-on-the-go-with-microsoft-fixit-portable/

You can use the Manual Reset Method found here; NOTE, it says XP, but it is good for all windows operating systems!
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357 (just click the area "let me fix it") you should be good to go!

Search this key in the registry:
HKLM\system\currentcontrol set\ ser vices\ tcpip6 parameters\
in the right side, is there a key that says disabled?
to re-enable IPv4 and IPv6, change it to; 0
it is better to remove the key altogether!
but, be warned... back up the key in case...
but all it does is prevent access to internet.
(MSFT, further evaluation is required to see what service it points to that actually stops this malware service)

For now, let do some general maintenance;

Disconnect the network cables first!
Disable remote connection features!

Lets do reset the firewall settings first, how about?

Right click on the network icon in the right hand corner on the desktop screen;
Click on diagnose and repair feature. Be sure log the error message here!

click on network and sharing;
lower left hand corner;
click on firewall;
then click on change settings;
tick the checkbox block all incoming;
click the advanced tab;
lower right hand corner, click restore default settings

Lets confirm a clean network system by resetting all the modems and the routers by using the reset button on each device;
Be sure to hold down the reset button for at least .20 seconds on each device while it is unplugged with no wires attached!

Then reconfigure them, PLEASE DO THIS OK!
Change the password on the router;
Changed passwords for each wireless connection, be sure to reconnect with the right passwords;
Take a look at network connections;
Are any adapters disabled? If disabled; should solved your problem by enabling them

If there enabled, continue reading;
Click network and sharing;
click manage network connections;
right click each adapter, check that each service is installed; I would, uninstall them and reinstall them at this point. I would do this to clean up the registry adapters settings. Go to device manager, uninstall any network devices including the software…
Then, I would restart the machine. Do not use the check new hardware feature here, let us be sure that the PNP feature is working correctly here too…

Check to be sure your network is setup to private...

Your TCPIP.SYS file might be corrupt, doing a SFC /TCPIP.SYS on this file will help to determine that

What is the results?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 02:44:52 am by Rick »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 01:17:50 pm »
These problems sounds identical to some rootkit viruses that I have been seeing lately. But so far none of the scans have shown anything.

On a side note always make sure java and flash are up to date as that is how a lot of the viruses and rootkits get in just by looking at a site and no even clicking anything.

Let me know if the steps Rick asked you to do help at all.

Shane

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 08:29:46 am »
Howdy Rick - First off, I want to thank your for all the thinking you have done on my behalf.  God Bless you!

Here is what I have done:  Yes I ran the TCP Optimizer twice but it did not help.

I did the ncpa.cpl and it was red IPv4 and 6 were enabled.

I reset the netshell and flushed and re-registered the dns

I tried the Mr.Fixit and I rebooted each hub and the main router.

I reinstalled (re-downloaded) all the drivers.

Then I turned off all non-MS serves and rebooted.   Nothing.

Finally, I spoke with Alex of OMG and he was able to pint the machine in question from another of my machines but was notable to connect to it on my LAN.

So, after all your help at this point, since all restore pointes (except the several I made in the last week and 2 in April are gone), I am performing an in-place W7 update.

I started it last night and it has rebooted 4 times and is still going.

I am hoping for the best.

Shane and Rick, if this can by just visiting a site, would is the ABSOLUTE BEST anti-everything software that I should have running all the time?

Whether I recover this system or have to build a new one, I will only be using W7 in a virtual machine of some type (I am thinking of using VirtualBox on top of OpenSUSE) so what anti-everthing would be good for linux?

Shane, I feel slightly dumb asking this:  To get back to this topic, I had to go to the update-email that you sent.  How do I find it without doing that?

Thanks again for all your help and the help of Shane.

I will keep you posted on the outcome.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 05:32:16 pm »
Rick and Shane - OK DONE!  :)

Alex from OMGtechhelp.com decided that all we could know about the cause of the problem was it was whatever was installed the weeks before the problem began since the last reboot.  Well, figuring that out was difficult for me.  I remember that the night of 5-26 there was as windows update with about 7 or 8 things to be done. That day, I believe there was also some iPhone converter gizmo that my wife wanted to get pics from her phone and I had to install iTunes which also installed about 6 other things (Bojour, Apple update and some other crap that I deleted after the problem showed up. 

Another side effect was that restore system entries began disappearing as I mentioned previously.  So, I think it was either iTunes (or one of the things that went with it like hte Leawo iConverter) or some W7 update.

The next step after getting communications was doing the side-by-side in-place Windows update which Alex at OMGF was excellent at doing correctly.  This clear all corruption and rewrote many of the basic W7 files and DLLs so whatever corruption was there was gone.  OMGtechehlp also said to ONLY update the "critical" (labeled by MS) updates as they have to do with security.  He said you do not really need all the other crap they update unless you execute a program that ways xxx must be up do date.  He also cautioned against IE 10; he said just use IE 9; right now there is no reason to go to 10 with its problems.

So that is the story.  Several weeks of hell behind me in two short days.  We do not know how or why, but between the Tweaking.com tools OMG used and the OMGtechhelp and expertise (and Rick's contribution).  I am fixed and happy.

Now, on to Linux and VirtualBox.  lol  :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 05:35:24 pm by FreeCat »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 09:45:07 pm »
A repair install of Windows is sometimes the only course short of a fresh reinstall.

If you ever want to do it your self here is how.

First you need a Windows 7 cd with SP1 on it, dont have one you can grab it here
https://sites.google.com/site/linuxlablibrary/windows-iso

Then just follow this guide :wink:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Shane

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 06:06:49 am »
Thanks Shane.  Now I can do it myself, and hope I never have to again.  :)