Author Topic: Internet explorer 10 crashing constantly  (Read 27764 times)

Offline lamarjr

• View Profile
Internet explorer 10 crashing constantly
« on: August 08, 2013, 11:47:09 pm »
Hi....It looks like this is going to be a really good site and I look forward to visiting it regularly/////

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit w/sp1    but for some reason Internet explorer 10 crashes every time I try to open it and renders the following message "Internet explorer is closing and if windows finds a solution we will contact you"

It is my belief that the registry may be corrupted and also it appears to have problems with dll files.

Please advise if you need more info...Thanks....lamarjr

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Internet explorer 10 crashing constantly
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 01:39:24 am »
The first thing to do is to disable all the add ons in IE.

Go to the control panel and then internet options, there you can manage the add ons.

You can also try running IE in its safe mode.

Press the “Windows key + R” key on the keyboard.
In the Run window type “iexplore –extoff” without quotes and press Enter. This will start Internet Explorer in no add-ons mode.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 05:17:49 am »
Hi, You could reset internet explorer, by going to internet options, and then selecting Advanced. There you find Reset button. You just click it. It will warn you, that resetting will delete your personal settings. Click yes and in no minutes, the internet explorer would be reset to the installation stage, where you did not have any problem. Ok. The adds on are the problems and going to the adds on tab  and removing the unwanted ones is a method. But by reset , you could get all the problems cleared.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline lamarjr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 01:24:08 pm »
Dear Shane and jraju, I have tried to access IE 10 with internet options to no avail.

Each time I try to use internet options (in control panel) I get a message as stated earlier. Also I am having the identical problem on my other desktop and I finally got to IE 10. Hers how:
1. I ran Malwarebytes twice and removed all items listed.
2. I ran Glary Utilities 3.8 two or three times
3 After the 2nd run of Glary, the system crashed and I got the BSOD. and could not shut the system down.
I responded by doing a "Hard shut down" by using the power switch.
When the computer rebooted, I tried again and "voila" I was able to access IE 10 in safe mode w/networking. I reset the homepage to MSN.com and cleared the cache and settings and rebooted into normal mode.
Again, the system gave the same error messages and I was unable to access IE 10.
What the heck?

PS: I also tried to replicate the same procedure again but no luck.....I'm sure many others have experienced a problem with IE 10 or
 IE 9.....I have tried them both but got the above results with IE 10.

However, no one seems to be able to resolve this issue, it but please know that I am most grateful for your efforts and would appreciate your taking another shot at it.....(any other members are also invited to join in with their ideas and suggestions)

Thanks again to you both and I surely hope to hear from you with a solution.....lamarjr     (Lamar Bailey)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 01:28:43 pm by lamarjr »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 01:36:49 am »
Hi, have your tried to reregister internet explorer using this link.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813444
There are two options. 1. fixit by microsoft for this problem
2.Manually re registering the internet explorer. If this does not work, please Uninstall and reinstall the internet explorer given in this link
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9
Please let me know whether they worked.

Offline lamarjr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 07:31:07 pm »
Hi jraju, thanks for your suggestions. I tried both of these but the "fix it myself" would not edit or replace 3 of the 5 dll files as directed. I received error messages mostly "not found" errors.
Then I tried the Microsoft "fixit" tool and while it would not work properly, I think it did lead me to the probable cause of the problem.

When I tried to run the tool, it would let me get as far as "do you want to run this tool?" Of course I said yes but each time I tried it, I got the following "windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working.

This tells me that most likely the problem is a faulty or corrupted system dll32 file.

I am trying to find a program that will repair/replace this dll32 file   but I think it will likely come down to a registry edit in which I will find and delete and replace this file to correct the error. I will keep you posted in the forums.

Thanks so much for your assistance.....lamarjr  (Lamar Bailey)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 08:35:18 pm »
Repairing the run dll exe is not easy . Please see the article link below, which may help you view the complexity of the issue. Please have a look before, installing run dll exe from other sites. I am having a little fear that I am trying to give clues to the problem. I am also having some thinking that my solution would work for somebody and would not work for somebody. Because, the system information, the add on which would have caused , or the plugin which would have caused could not be guessed.I am also thinking that if somebodys system crashes , i am somewhat feel sorry for the ideas , that I am giving. There are multiple fix for a specific problem, but the cause has to be known to have the right fix.I recently heard from respected news paper, that whocrashed free version would lead you where the problem lies or which has caused this crash. I think it will trigger out the details from the dump file for you to see the real program which is causing the problem. These are harmless tools you could try. You could view the event viewer and try again, note the time of the event and then see for the log details at that time in the event viewer. Event id would tell you which is causing this to crash and why. Then check for the solution. Thank you
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-rundll32exe-and-why-is-it-running/
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 08:37:20 pm by jraju »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 12:58:59 pm »
Have you done a chkdsk on the drive first to check for any file system problems, and then after that run the system file checker?

Shane

Offline lamarjr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 03:51:45 pm »
Hi jraju and Shane,

I have tried all of the suggestions mentioned to no avail even trying the windows fixit tool (which was inaccessible)

The dsk check and sfc /scannow revealed nothing, telling me that it found no errors.

However I firmly believe that this dll file is at the root of the problem as all of the symptoms are there.

I'm sure you guys are tiring of this but I have got to get it repaired and working again.....any more suggestions....

Thanks for all your assistance....lamarjr

UPDATE:

Hi again, OK I took a gamble and it paid off (sort of). I searched until I found the dll32 file (a good copy) and copied it and replaced the faulty file with this one. I then went to control panel and tried internet options and it let me in....first try.

I set the home page to MSN.com and went to the advanced tab under tools (1st I set the default options under the general tab).

Then I went to the advanced tab and set it back to default but I may have missed something. Please advise me on this....
jraju, I believe you suggested this step

Now the problem is apparently there are a few other dll files corrupted but since I can now access the files and replace them Any idea of a free program that will identify and replace dll files?

I need to do this because I still cannot access IE when I click on the desktop icon. I believe if we can find the aforementioned program, we can put this problem in the solved file.

If it all works out, I will post a complete explanation of what was done for the members because as you know, this has been a real b**** to deal with so if you can reply as soon as you can so I can continue with the resolution of this issue.

PS: any other members are welcome to jump in and help.....Thanks again to Shane and jruju.....lamarjr

BTE: another pprogram that has helped me in the repair windows exe right on this sight....I'm not sure but it looks like a really serious program and I encourage everyone to support the authors efforts...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:23:40 pm by lamarjr »

Offline lamarjr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 05:27:54 pm »
UPDATE:

Hi again, OK I took a gamble and it paid off (sort of). I searched until I found the dll32 file (a good copy) and copied it and replaced the faulty file with this one. I then went to control panel and tried internet options and it let me in....first try.

I set the home page to MSN.com and went to the advanced tab under tools (1st I set the default options under the general tab).

Then I went to the advanced tab and set it back to default but I may have missed something. Please advise me on this....
jraju, I believe you suggested this step

Now the problem is apparently there are a few other dll files corrupted but since I can now access the files and replace them Any idea of a free program that will identify and replace dll files?

I need to do this because I still cannot access IE when I click on the desktop icon. I believe if we can find the aforementioned program, we can put this problem in the solved file.

If it all works out, I will post a complete explanation of what was done for the members because as you know, this has been a real b**** to deal with so if you can reply as soon as you can so I can continue with the resolution of this issue.

PS: any other members are welcome to jump in and help.....Thanks again to Shane and jruju.....lamarjr

BTE: another pprogram that has helped me in the repair windows exe right on this sight....I'm not sure but it looks like a really serious program and I encourage everyone to support the authors efforts...

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 05:54:43 am »
Hi, Thanks for accessing internet. The reset option, would restore your internet explorer to the default factory settings, disabling added adds on and plugins causing trouble. Happy that you get the correct dll file. Some of the dll files site inject their own trojan to compromise your pc. I have found this by running immediate avast check. Ok. I will advise you to get any update for internet explorer, as failure to do this would not only affect the browser, it does copy macros, a kind of another program to your ms office and other programs, without your knowledge. As advised by Shane, I am always updating java and adobe, and now i feel secured.

Offline lamarjr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 09:56:21 am »
Hi jraju,

I didn't mean to confuse you but I still cannot get IE to open...what has happened is that the dll file correction has allowed me to access internet options in control panel but I still need to get to internet explorer and make the necessary corrections....

...any ideas on how to?

thanks....lamarjr

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 01:16:44 pm »
If the problem is messed up or wrong version of files on the system, and the SFC doesnt fix it, then you may safe your self a lot of time by doing a repair install.

This way windows gets reinstalled while keeping all your programs and settings.

First you need a Windows 7 disk with SP1 already on it, you can grab that here
https://sites.google.com/site/linuxlablibrary/windows-iso

Then just follow this
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 07:55:02 pm »
Hi, lamar,

have you tried uninstall and reinstall as given in the 2nd link in my post in this thread. If this has also not solved, then you have to repair install , as Shane has suggested.

Offline lamarjr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 04:52:27 pm »
Hi Guys....OK I'm about to agree with you and do a repair-install but I want to be sure of a couple of things.

First...Will this allow me to keep my existing files and programs undisturbed?

Second..I assume that after I DL the Windows 7 64 bit ISO that it need to be burned to a DVD.I have gotten so used to using a flash stick drive that I need to review the basics of DVD burning so how about a quick answer on:

Program....I have IMG  burning software installed
The DVD's I need to use are DVD-R? If not, what is the best blank DVD to use?
Also the installed DVD burners I have are a Plextor DVDR 716A  and a DVD/CD-RW rewritable...which or do I need a later model?

One last thing...I'm going to try is to remove and reissue/ reinstall all the dll files and if that doesn't work, then proceed with the complete repair/ reinstall....

Let me know what you think and I'll get started....lamarjr

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 02:38:28 am »
Hi, Lamar, My second link does not relate to operating system installation. It is uninstalling of internet explorer and reinstalling the same. Ok. Pl recheck the link

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 03:45:16 pm »
First...Will this allow me to keep my existing files and programs undisturbed?

Yes, normally. Some people had to reinstall their antivirus since it installed drivers, but other than that everything should be fine.

Second..I assume that after I DL the Windows 7 64 bit ISO that it need to be burned to a DVD.I have gotten so used to using a flash stick drive that I need to review the basics of DVD burning so how about a quick answer on:

Program....I have IMG  burning software installed
The DVD's I need to use are DVD-R? If not, what is the best blank DVD to use?
Also the installed DVD burners I have are a Plextor DVDR 716A  and a DVD/CD-RW rewritable...which or do I need a later model?

Yes burning to any dvdr will be fine and I use imgburn myself.

You could also use the usb tool and make a bottable usb stick instead, would be faster then a dvdr :-)

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/Windows-7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool.shtml

Shane

Offline lamarjr

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 06:53:09 pm »
Hi Shane & jraju....First, I picked up on the fix IE Explorer link sent by jraju so I got the right download from a site Shane posted..Thanks jraju I am starting a reinstall-repair and will keep you posted...

Shane, Just a couple of things before I take this step....First is the dvd I need to use a DVDR?  .....I have DVD-R  and am having a fit with the IMG program burning the file to the DVD but I was able to extract it to the desktop and then send the extracted file to the USB flash drive. However what do I use when it asks for a serial number? I guess the best thing to do is just stick with  the flash drive...OK?

Also since I was able to do this before DL the Windows USB tool....what do I need the tool for? I'm assuming you have a reason for advising this so I'm going to wipe the stick clean and use the USB tool to copy the file.

Thanks so much to both of you, and I will keep you posted on this but Shane, if you will, please advise me on the issues stated above as I don't want to mess this up....

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 07:38:39 pm »
DVD-R or +r doesnt matter.

Also use the usb tool if you cant burn to the dvd. The iso image has the boot files needed for the dvd, but the usb tool can do it as well.

And dont worry about a serial number, if it asks for one just skip it, your doing a repair install so it should use what is on the system :-)

The usb tool will make a usb drive bootable, and you can boot off that drive and install windows with it.

Shane

Offline lamarjr

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 11:44:53 pm »
Shane...Sorry to bug you but apparently the dll files are damaged or corrupted worse than we thought and I cannot get it to recognize the usb flash drive so I guess the only way to reinstall is via a dvd.-If you have a comment on this please let me know....thanks....Lamar

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2013, 02:31:17 am »
Dvd will be fine.

Download imgburn, then right click on the iso file and burn it to a dvd.

ISO is a dvd image file, so it will burn that image properly to the dvd for you :-)

Then just follow the instructions I posted.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2013, 03:01:19 am »
hi, lamarjr, have you tried to uninstall and reinstall. If the problem persists, then i would advise you to do reinstall, as per Shane's advice

Offline lamarjr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013, 06:02:04 pm »
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you, but both desktops have crashed and I am now on my "Old dependable" running Windows XP Pro. It seems that I have burned a cpu so it will be sometime next week before I will be fully back online. However I plan to set up my email on this unit so use my regular email or alternately [email protected]

Thanks again.....lamarjr