Author Topic: Windows Repair worked - HOORAY!  (Read 5417 times)

Offline skypilotpete

• View Profile
Windows Repair worked - HOORAY!
« on: August 22, 2013, 05:03:10 am »
I've had two intractable problems, which I have spent hours trying to fix with absolutely no result (before now). I run Windows 7 Home Premium 64, and both problems were described in multiple posts on many forums, with no reliable fixes suggested. I posted questions on the best tech-support forums I know, and no one had any suggestions. The only suggestion was to do a complete re-install of Windows. After running Windows Repair (All In One) both problems are now fixed. These problems were:

1) When trying to open any Microsoft Office program, an installer would open for Microsoft Single Image Viewer. This would take forever to run, and eventually the MS Office program would open. This happened every time I tried to open Word, Excel, Publisher etc.

2) Unable to successfully install Overdrive Media Console (DRM manager for downloadable ebooks and audiobooks from libraries). The basic characteristics of this problem were:
 - After installing Overdrive Media Console, whenever I tried to run it, the installer would start up and start configuring the program all over again. It was as though the installation process never really completed. So it started again every time I tried to run the program. Another sign that it hadn't installed correctly was that when I checked the version details of the Overdrive software, the pop-up box said "Version: <error>. System information: Windows Media Player version: <error>. Windows Media Player DRM version: <error>".
- Whenever I downloaded an audiobook link from my library and tried to open it in Overdrive Media Console, I got the message:  "OverDrive Media Console is not able to check the version required for the selected title. Unable to create the OMC detect object used to get version information (Invalid Class String)."
- After a huge amount of searching, it appeared that the underlying problem might have been Windows refusal to register the OMCDetect.dll file. Following instructions I tried running regsvr32 from an elevated command prompt. I tried running it both in the Windows\System32 folder and also the \SysWOW64 folder. I also tried it in safe mode. No matter what I did I got the message "The module "omcdetect.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005. For more information about this problem, search online using the error code as a search term."
I searched for this error message and every "fix" I found said to run regsver32.exe as adminstrator - which I had already done multiple times.
I eventually gave up any hope of fixing this problem, until a friend told me about Windows Repair (All In One). It's now working fine and I've successfully downloaded my first audiobook.