Author Topic: Did'nt get past reset file permissions 11/11  (Read 7646 times)

Offline wakeupnrage

• View Profile
Did'nt get past reset file permissions 11/11
« on: August 30, 2013, 04:57:13 pm »
 I am using this program on a family members compaq  sr5450f desktop. He let someone try and uninstall Mcafee without using the program uninstaller and it deleted some of the main files. When I got it it would boot and let me log in as admin but I could not do anything else. I got into bios and booted from Hiren boot disc and got it to where I could access some files and reset permissions. I had to find and re install the windows defender code and got the automatic updates to work but I was having trouble getting the firewall to work. Then I cam across this utility.
I ran the program and got to reset file permissions 11/11 and it locked up on me  so I closed it out and restarted it and it stopped about the same place, so I restarted it again this time I unchecked the first to boxes and it is still running. I have attached screen shots of where it stopped. I will post again when it finishes or if it stops again.

Offline wakeupnrage

• View Profile
Re: Did'nt get past reset file permissions 11/11
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 05:04:34 pm »
Ok so i left the two cammand promt windows open after closing and restarting and i just checked them and they are still working but moving very slowly. I guess I need a little more patients. The first I closed and restarted the program it had been running for an hour and a half. I will post more when it has completed the repairs.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 07:59:11 pm »
The repair is stuck in a loop because you must of had a virus put some symbolic links on your system, pointing back to itself, thus making a loop. The new version of Windows repair I am working on will ignore those symbolic links and stop getting stuck :-D

I am also working on a tool to fix those symbolic links.

Run this tool,
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/ntfs_links_view.html

And post the scan it brings up. I will see what links shouldnt be there and give you the commands to remove them :-)

Shane

Offline wakeupnrage

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 12:59:46 am »
Thanks Shane, with the help of your utility the computer I had is working fine. I restarted the Windows Repair and unchecked the second box and it finished without stopping. The computer seems to be 99% better. I have given it back to it's owner and they have not had any troubles.

Thanks again for such a great repair program
Rodney Squires