Author Topic: No new USB devices work - driver install fails  (Read 23638 times)

Offline hught78

• View Profile
No new USB devices work - driver install fails
« on: September 02, 2013, 12:27:28 pm »
I'm having some trouble using any new USB device in my HP Pavilion g7-1150us (Win7 Home Prem x64) laptop. Anything I plug in gives me the triple beep error, Code 28, cannot find the specified driver. Even when I point to the proper drivers it fails to install them. I've tried printers and USB thumb drives in all three USB ports on the machine. USB devices that I've previously plugged in work fine. Here's what I've done so far:
  • Run Tweaking Windows AIO 1.9.15
  • Checked for and replaced the USB.inf file
  • Run bunch of Windows Fix It tools
  • Updated BIOS and Chipset drivers

Any advice would be most appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:38:07 pm by hught78 »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: No new USB devices work - driver install fails
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 06:53:03 pm »
http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/263437-usb-composite-device-cannot-find-specified-file.html
Please see the link and the solution. Probably usb.inf is missing . The solution is also given at the end of the link. Please try.
                   Have you tried uninsalling and reinstalling of usb drivers in the device manger. Did you find any exclamation marks in the devices in the device manger.
Please also see this article,
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html
a free download allowing to view and do with usb attached to computer
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 07:07:12 pm by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 08:12:10 pm »
I have had that happen before.

I had to rip out and uninstall every usb device from the device manager and have Windows detect them again to get it working.

Did the links jraju post help at all?

Shane

Offline hught78

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 09:03:52 pm »
Thanks jraju and Shane,
Here's what I've done so far since reading your suggestions:
  • The usb.inf is in there in the Windows/inf folder. Thinking it might be corrupt, I tried renaming it and replacing it with other usb.inf files from other Windows 7/x64 computers but it didn't change or fix anything.
  • I uninstalled all USB device drivers in Device Manager and readded using Scan for Legacy Hardware. it successfully added 2 Intel 5 Series/3400 Chipset Host Controllers in the Universal Serial Bus controller section. But it could not add 2 "unknown devices" with error code 28, "there is no driver selected for the device information set." Looking at the Hardware ID's for these two "unknown devices" it says they are USB/ROOT_HUB20&VID8086&PID3B3C&REV0005. Now when I plug in new USB devices I do not get any beeps, it's like Windows doesn't recognize the device has been plugged in at all.
  • I loaded the drivers manually by picking from a specified list (chose Have Disk, Show Compatible Hardware was checked and USB Root Hub was the only thing listed) and drilled down to the USB.inf file. I got the error that said "Windows encountered a problem...The system cannot find the file specified.
  • I downloaded that cool Nirsoft program and it listed devices but I'm not really sure how I can use it to fix my problem.

I'm going to try a powered USB hub tomorrow as a workaround but it would be great to just fix the installed USB ports if possible.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 02:32:42 am »
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/tips-for-solving-problems-with-usb-devices
Pl try the fixit
Also check whether shell hardware detection services is in started stage.Just type services.msc and go to the services tab. There you flind shell hardware detection service. click and check whether it is started.If not manually start it and check with plugging the usb device.
usb dview is a program which allows you know the connected devices. If your usb is connected it will be shown. If the connected status is disabled you could try in the same program , how to uninstall the device and reinstall, check hardware change etc. it was a utility, i used it when i had the problem with camera usb not working. ok.

Offline hught78

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 09:41:53 am »
When I ran the FixIt, it told me there is no driver software installed for Unknown Device and gave me a link to the built-in Windows Message Center. I clicked next and the troubleshooting completed, it said Unknown Device doesn't have a driver - not fixed. Checked the Shell Hardware Service and it is Started and Running.

It's like it doesn't know where to look for the drivers or something.  :sad:

Thanks for all your support jraju.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 04:02:14 pm »
Go to the device manager.

Go to view and show hidden devices.

Then in the list you will see all the old hardware that Windows has detected. Remove all the old USB ones, drives, everything that is no longer on the system and then reboot.

That normally does the trick for me.

Shane

Offline hught78

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 08:26:21 pm »
After selecting Show Hidden Devices a few new items popped up but no old usb hardware.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:07:18 pm by hught78 »

Offline chris635

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 09:56:12 pm »
 I had a problem recently on a new build and the drivers for usb 3.0 would not load (I have six ports and none would work). To get it to work I had to boot into safe mode (should be F8) and choose "force unsigned driver installs". Windows will boot, then try to install usb drivers. Once you reboot, this safety feature will be enabled again. I don't know why I had to do this because my drivers were digitally signed but this was the only way around it. As always, perform a back up or system restore first! I hope this helps

Chris   
Physical Science Technician
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 11:03:55 pm »
Hi, hugh,

Go to start. type run. find run.exe and then click it . On the Run box, type msinfo32 and click enter. You get a screen. Go to components and click problematic devices. There you will find what is the problem that whether your usb is shown. If it is there, then i wish to state that the drivers updates by microsoft is not enough and you have to get the drivers from your device manufacturers. Please let us know, what the problematic devices list your usb.
try download the latest drivers, and if this solves your problem, ok, let us know
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=5128928

Offline hught78

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 11:48:34 pm »
I got frustrated and performed an in-place upgrade to Windows 7 Pro (I was on Home Premium) but I'm still having the similar issues. When I did msinfo32.exe the problem driver is:
  • Not Available   USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&2443D856&1   The drivers for this device are not installed.

I should have mentioned this in my first post but updating the drivers and BIOS was one of the first things I did. No dice.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 12:00:38 am by hught78 »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 01:16:34 am »
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/1D120A90884C25AF862573A700602459
Please see this post and see the last end for the commands to  rescan the device manager.
this should work
Have you tried to download the driver for your machine from hp site

Offline hught78

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 08:37:18 am »
Yes, I installed the drivers from the HP site but they did not fix the problem. Also, whenI ran the devcon utility I received the message, "Remove Failed" No Devices Removed.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 07:47:34 pm »
You have not stated whether the device was shown as connected in usbdeview. If it is not shown as connected, other fixes will not work. If the system shows that it is connected, then you can check whether it is shown in the explorer for you to use.
                        Try this option,if the device is connected but not shown in the explorer for you to use, then go to Folder options and in the general options, click the 2 options to show all folders. If this helps, pl

Offline chris635

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 09:34:19 am »
Have you tried the " force unsigned driver installation "option in safe mode yet?

Chris
Physical Science Technician
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 10:30:06 am »
Try that and let me know
Have you tried the " force unsigned driver installation "option in safe mode yet?

Also I dont think the problem is with any files. I have seen this before and there is something not set right in the registry. It is pulling wrong info somehow.

Lets see if the force unsigned driver installation helps before we start digging into the registry.

Shane

Offline hught78

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 01:21:28 pm »
Forcing unsigned did not work either. BUT, it was finally fixed with a repair install using a Windows 7 disc. Phew! :cheesy:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 01:34:23 pm »
Good to hear it is fixed :-)

The repair install would have replaced the bad or missing reg keys and files if there was nay :-)

Shane