Author Topic: Windows Repair v1.9.15 Mismatch with Vista Home Basic and Block Level Backup Eng  (Read 7836 times)

Offline ClixTrix

• View Profile
Used subject program with all options enabled to repair subject OS at Service Pack 2.

Used the product to assist in system restore post removal of major malware infections including rootkit (with good results).

Services window shows error with missing file wbengine.exe.  No system log errors specific to the failure.

Upon investigation, it would appear that the subject Service is only available in Vista Business and Ultimate Editions, but not in Starter or Home Edition products.  This site seems to do a good job in tracking Services, so am linking as source of that assumption:

http://batcmd.com/windows/vista/services/wbengine/

I'm assuming that the error is due to mismatch on the repair, but can't completely eliminate other causes (not my system - Neighbors).

Is there a problem mismatch in recovery of service against edition that does not support service and would simple hack deletion/removal of the Service in Registry be sufficient to eliminate problem? 

A full post on advise to correct is welcome to assist myself and any others with similar result and those releases of Vista.

Thanks and excellent product!  It did clean-up a lot of problems and this is a "very minor" issue in comparison to what was a badly damaged system.  :smiley:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Good find on the wbengine not being in the home version of Vista.

The easy fix is to simply tell if it is the home version or not. Problem is the API I call to get the Windows version only gives me the version number such as 5.1

I have to see if I can find the right api calls to pull if it is home, pro and all that good stuff :-)

OR if I have trouble finding a good API to pull that info I could just do a simple if file exists call, check if %systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe is on the system and if it is put the regkeys for it.

That would be the easier way :-)

Shane

Offline ClixTrix

• View Profile
Yeah, I think that's  "OS Name".  Might need that general info for any future nuance differences that arise for Services.  It would also be a good point of info during the run (on screen) as verification against the fixes, i.e I recognize and am running a fix for this product.  I assume this is a rare case, but you never know with Mr. Softy.

I think there's an API, only because so many other programs depend on that info, like DLLSuite, which was another reference that the wbengine.exe wasn't missing and got me looking at the problem and why SFC didn't complain about missing files for that Service.

Brute-Force Method:  Could use CMD Systeminfo and output to file and parse for OS Name as an input to the program.

Oh, and do you think just deleting that Service from Registry will resolve the mismatch and error or are there other entries that should be removed?  Or, do you think a reg-fix file and run is needed to pull-out those entries?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Removing the service form the reg should help since it shouldn't be there in the first place :-)

I normally use WMI to pull system info, but if WMI isnt working then no info is pulled.

I have the API calls to pull the different versions of each OS, it is just a pain to find the right commands. It is surprisingly a lot of code, mainly because of all the different versions of Windows ever made.

Here is an example of the amount of code for it
http://vbnet.mvps.org/index.html?code/helpers/iswinversion.htm

And with every new OS the code has to be updated.

Shane

Offline ClixTrix

• View Profile
Funny, I was looking at that GetVersionEx code when you replied.  Now you know why I suggested the Brute-Force method.  :cheesy:

On the idea of file-check, the problem with a damaged system is missing/damaged file(s).  I originally thought that wbengine.exe was infected and removed by someone prior to me working with the system.  However, I did run the (optional) SFC and knew something wasn't right.  That's a chicken or egg problem as to which is correct, i.e. is missing filing a real test of OS Name.  It is an excellent reason to run SFC, if you decide to go that way.

This is a tough set of choices, but I can see where there are situations where services are added to product with Service Pack, e.g. XP Firewall, and where Services exist in different product versions, Vista Home vs. Business and Wbengine.

What about a switch to select (or override missing or mismatch) for product discovery problems?  At least you would have opportunity for input to the decision.

Whatever you decide, it will still give you code update problems, courtesy MS. That comes in the EULA Fine Print, page 187.  :rolleyes:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I am going to be adding a section to the Windows repair where it will list the system variables it pulls, and allow the user to change them.

The main reason for that is in case something is messed up and the program cant pull the correct info :-)

I will see what I can do with the API and also get that section done.

Just have to find a good spot to put these new options in the program for advanced users and not to confuse normal users.

Shane