Author Topic: Two Windows 8.1 issues still unsolved  (Read 7666 times)

Offline Aimela

• View Profile
Two Windows 8.1 issues still unsolved
« on: October 30, 2013, 12:58:08 pm »
First off, I am running Windows 8.1 64-bit
So I downloaded this program to fix a couple of issues that I presently have that were not solved by the All In One Windows Repair:

#1: Windows 8 apps won't install or update. So, whenever I try to install an app, I'm always greeted with the same message:

What I believe caused this problem was when I changed the owner ship of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ from TrustedInstaller to my own profile and now I can't seem to fix it. Pretty much, I was curious to see the file structure and I didn't quite fully know what I was doing.

#2: Windows Search Service won't start up.

To be honest, these images of trying to manually start the service and looking at indexing options are about all the information I have about this one. Basically, this problem started happening out of nowhere. Trying to search in a file explorer window doesn't work at all and using the Windows search function without the service has very slow results.

I have tried using Google to find solutions to both of these problems which eventually lead me here. I was hoping that the program would have fixed my problems but, unfortunately, they still persist. I at least hope that the program can be updated to solve these problems, as I don't exactly want to do another PC refresh.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Two Windows 8.1 issues still unsolved
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 01:19:34 pm »
Indexing service shouldn't matter as I always turn it off and never have problems. But I am curious to why it cant find the file it is looking for, we can check the reg keys for it and see what file it is looking at.

As for the permissions on the folder you can change them back, I have found that the app store is really easy to break and even though you change the owner the app store can still work with it but refuses to, same thing with certain keys in the registry. Seems to be some sort of DRM or bad programming on their part.

And in fact thanks for telling me it is the trusted installer it is complaining about, that will help me trace down some of these bugs with it.

As a test, create a new user account and try the app store there and let me know if it works or not. That will tell me if it is something under the profile, or something system wide.

Shane

Offline Aimela

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 04:11:12 pm »
Okay, I tried making a new account. Weird thing was that no apps were usable through that account, they would all appear with an "X" icon in the corner of each tile, even the store app wouldn't work, the loading screen would come up and then lose focus. I have, in fact, set ownership of the WindowsApps back to TrustedInstaller with full permissions but it didn't work for some reason.

Also, another thing about the search service: Would changes in the WinSxS folder cause any problems with that? Because I just recalled that recently I was having problems getting Dot Net 3.5 to work and I read something about the WinSxS folder, so I replaced some files in there. And, while it did get Dot Net working again, that may have been the point where the search service may have broke. I guess it wasn't exactly a shining moment of intelligence to not just replace the Dot Net files. Well, anyway, it may be a mismatched version of the file(s) within the WinSxS folder.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 03:23:15 pm by Aimela »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 01:02:03 pm »
The WinSXS folder should never be touched, and can cause a lot of problems. How ever if it was a.net problem we can try something.

The only way I have ever gotten .net to work again is to totally remove it and reinstall it, works every time.

Use this tool to remove .net
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

Then simply reboot and install.net fresh and lets see how it goes. I know more and more of the newer stuff in Windows is using .net now, so if .net is messed up it wouldnt surprise me it would keep the store from working.

Shane